2610 or 2720

GEOFFREY DEACON

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now that some of Garmins prices are coming down,,?. Can any of you reccomend either the Garmin 2610 over the 2720?/,
I can now get the 2720 for £560 inc, (unless you know any cheaper?).
So is the 2720 worth that bit extra over the 2610??.
thanks in advance.. :thumb

ps ,I have already had the SP III,.

Hi Geoffrey:

There's a fairly detailed comparison of the different 2xxx series GPSRs (26xx, 27xx, and 28xx) here, towards the bottom of the page: 2xxx series comparison

There is a fairly significant difference in both technology and in the user interface between the SP III and 26xx series (what you could call 'the first generation'), and the 27xx and 28xx series (what I suppose you could call 'the second generation'). I don't think you would really notice a big difference between a SP III and a 26xx, despite the fact that the two units are a different physical shape.

If I were you, I'd watch prices of the 27xx series, and not upgrade until you find a 27xx series product at a price you like (or 28xx, if you want the phone / MP3 / Bluetooth features).

Michael

Pan

Thanks Pan for the link,,.Read it all and now better informed!!,
I will look for a 2720 now, but would like to know if full postcdes are available on the 2720? as you seemed unsure?.

Flip said:
Yes full post codes on 2720..

Thanks for that clarification, Flip. I guess that means that postal code lookup is dependent on the version of the cartography used, not on the model of the GPSR.

Michael

I may be a tad confused here (right, as if that was hard) but if you guys are talking about full postcode lookup, are we talking about the "five character" type postcode lookup or the full-fat, 7 character lookup for the UK?

Just asking as my 2610 w/ Mapsource 8 does do the 5 character type...

darklord said:
...my 2610 w/ Mapsource 8 (City Navigator 8, actually) does do the 5 character type...

Ah, then that almost 100% confirms that postal code lookup is dependent on the cartography (map version in use) supporting it, not the GPSR supporting it. But, having said that, I wouldn't recommend buying CN 8 for an old black and white 'Original StreetPilot' from 1996 and expecting it to work... :D

GEOFFREY DEACON said:

I can now get the 2720 for £560 inc, (unless you know any cheaper?).

Geoffrey,

Where can you get a 2720 at that price?

T.

PanEuropean said:
But, having said that, I wouldn't recommend buying CN 8 for an old black and white 'Original StreetPilot' from 1996 and expecting it to work... :D

"Do the software run on this"

"No, but it'll walk" :rolleyes:

Novice said:
Geoffrey,

Where can you get a 2720 at that price?

T.

Does that price include bracket, cable, headset and delivery? Some suppliers do packages that include these.

I bought a 2720 two months ago for £580 and the other items were extra. There still seems to be a shortage of cables and headsets; it's worth ringing round to see who has got what in stock or due in soon.

So far, the 2720 has been excellent.

Power leads...

i don't know about the situation elsewhere but power/audio leads are available at

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

at the moment. I ordered one from the site on Friday and it arrived this am. It's all wired in now, all I need is to find somewhere to go!
John

Back
Top Bottom