60 second switch off

Searanger

My Navigator 11 has developed an annoying problem in that it switches off about a minute after the bike is started.. If I stop the motor and restart it will stay on but sometimes I might have to do this 4 or 5 times. No prob with the unit when the motor is not running or it is connected to mains power - I repleced the power lead today and cleaned the unit terminals with an eraser but no change - anyone had the same prob?
Colin

I have a 1200 and the same intermittent problem.

Some attribute it to the flattening battery software upgrade.

This may sound odd but try starting the bike before the boot-up check's complete. This seems to work on mine. Oh, and power the GPS down when starting the bike - only switch it on when the bike's running.

Incantations and drawing pentagrams on the tank using chicken entrails may help also.

Searanger said:
My Navigator 11 has developed an annoying problem in that it switches off about a minute after the bike is started.. If I stop the motor and restart it will stay on but sometimes I might have to do this 4 or 5 times. No prob with the unit when the motor is not running or it is connected to mains power - I repleced the power lead today and cleaned the unit terminals with an eraser but no change - anyone had the same prob?
Colin

Try reading this thread thread I started some time ago now:

Hope this answers your question!

Ian

Hi Ian - Interesting thread which seems to suggest we are again in the hands of BMW - after reading these comments I realised that the problem began after my battery was replaced under warranty and the software upgraded - so I will give them a couple more weeks and see what occurs... sad though!

Searanger said:
Hi Ian - Interesting thread which seems to suggest we are again in the hands of BMW - after reading these comments I realised that the problem began after my battery was replaced under warranty and the software upgraded - so I will give them a couple more weeks and see what occurs... sad though!

From the end of the thread it seems that BMW are supposed to have a software fix for this problem now. I dont know myself as I changed my bike before it was fixed. (05 to 06 1200GS).

Ian

As I'm off through Europe at the end of the week I am considering a direct connection to the battery - I will use an inline fuse but the downside is that the unit is always powered which could lead to an inadvertant battery discharge - anyone done this modification?

Searanger said:
...the unit is always powered which could lead to an inadvertant battery discharge...

I don't think you have enough vacation days accumulated to discharge the motorcycle battery by continually powering the GPSR. The GPSR uses very little power - less than 1.5 amps. I left one plugged into an aircraft for 48 hours once, and it made no difference at all. The aircraft had a 24 volt, 40 amp-hour battery in it.

Michael

battery powered sat nav

Searanger, I wired mine to the battery using the lead with an inline fuse but put a spade connector on one of the wires so that I could disconnect it when not using the bike/sat nav.
Camera is'nt good enough to show but it only takes a couple of minutes to do and should avoid running the battery down.

cheers Stu :thumb

Searanger said:
... I am considering a direct connection to the battery - I will use an inline fuse but the downside is that the unit is always powered which could lead to an inadvertant battery discharge ..
But it will only draw from the battery if its switched on surely? :nenau

Hi Taff - I did say 'inadvertant' which is wot happens when you rush home for a night in the pub and forget to flick the switch - which I have never needed to remember to do so far - first time for everything tho eh!

Back
Top Bottom