Capanord

guffter6969

Knowing that I will most likely get heaps of abuse from some of the more narrow minded peeps on this site, I was wondering if there was any experience of the Capanord that I would be able to hear of please, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the 1200 well before the warranty expires and dk motorcycles are selling new 06 abs Capo's for £5699, seems a good deal, their also doing pre reg 05 Kawasaki v strom copies for £5199 which also is quite tempting, saying that I might just have a departure and buy an old style Tuono. Any guidance would be warmly received.
Ta

guffter6969 said:
Knowing that I will most likely get heaps of abuse from some of the more narrow minded peeps on this site, I was wondering if there was any experience of the Capanord that I would be able to hear of please, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the 1200 well before the warranty expires and dk motorcycles are selling new 06 abs Capo's for £5699, seems a good deal, their also doing pre reg 05 Kawasaki v strom copies for £5199 which also is quite tempting, saying that I might just have a departure and buy an old style Tuono. Any guidance would be warmly received.
Ta

all the narrow minded peeps are away for the weekend :nenau

try them all and see which suits you best :eek:

they all look fab to me :beerjug:

Write up on the Capo v Tiger in this month's RiDE mag. Tiger won. They said the Capo was crap in town, good on M-way, required 'skill' to hustle through twisties and had a poor finish, with an Austin Allegro dash. Do not even remotely consider using this machine on public roads between October and April or it will dissolve before your eyes..

Cheap, though ;)

Had 2 tuono's, great bike but would'nt like to go far on one too sport bike like. V-strom would be my choice.

Had a vstrom as a courtesy bike when the gixer was being serviced. Good piece of kit - would probably want the 1000cc version.

vstrom?

Down here there was a bit of trouble with the 1000 strom ? A Mate has a 650 he is very happy with it? I am open and I ride many bikes. I will say a lot are better than BM in one way or another? After owning several BMs over 20 years? I have never ( YES, Never) lost money!! Though I don't buy new. The trouble with some Bikes they devalue very Quickly? Like take a mates KLR650 it will drop 1/4 of its price in 12 months? A new BM drops a bit? What do you all reckon? Be careful. BIGJim Tasmania. :beerjug:

Got a pal with a 'wee strom' lovely motor and great value - goes well on well made dirt roads as well as the tar.

Saw a Capo at the M5 services in January this year. I was on the Pan then, with 40k on the clock. Still looked like new, even having been ridden through every winter since it rolled out of the showroom. Parked up next to a Capo and had a look. God, it was ratty. There was a thick coating of fur on the alloy, the paint was flat and the engine looked like it had been dunked in an acid bath. Any steel bits were rusty as hell.

The mileage?

9k.

Maybe not a well-cared for machine, but I'd expect a bike to hold up better.

Had both a Cappo and a Mille RSV-R in the past. No issues with finish with either. Just regular cleaning and dryingoff as I do with all my bikes. Up rated the front springs with progessives (a must after having an 1150- felt spongy). Didn't up grade the back which probably I should have done to complete the whole package as the back sometimes felt it was too soft. Still handled OK though. Engine superb. Around town the bike was slightly less happy as the engine pulls well and prefers an open road. Practice clutch control and this improve. Flat paint? It comes in satin matt finish in some year models!!!
I my experience this is a model you should not write off as an option if you don't want a BMW. p.s. my 1200 is just as rough, if not more so, around town.

V-Strom

Mate has one 1000cc - there is a problem with clutch baskets leads to vibrations and can only be cured by changing components - apparently documented on web

I had a 1000 Vstrom for the day when I picked up a screw in the tyre of my 12.

I have to say I was initialy impressed. It's incredibly manouverable, it can do U-turns where you would struggle on a 125. after 18 months of trying, the 12 won't go round in the same space without dragging the rear brake.

However, later I realised the vstrom had a bit of a slight balance issue. anything below about 50mph and it would 'drop in' to tight turns and had a tendency to fall to the left if I took my hands off the bars (a bit like having only a loaded left hand pannier fitted) especialy so at about 30mph.

Anything over 50mph and it turns into a fun bike to ride, very quick, good in the twisties and fast down the straights, It's comfy too.

The bike I rode was a demo bike with 600 miles on the clock with the tyres in good condition 'I think they were battle-wings' I had a small magnetic tank bag on the tank and no luggage fitted.

Despite the slight feelings of instability,(which I think you would get used to very quickly) I still enjoyed the vstrom and if it wern't for the chain drive I might even consider one.

Re: The Caponord, a mate of mine was pissed off to discover that he had to pay about £300.00 for the first 600 mile (1000km) service on his RSV Milli. It didn't stop him having it though.

I was originally going to get tha cap
had a test ride, like it alot but not enough power and the wind noise was alot worse that the 1200gs
I was going to buy one, had a look and there was rust coming from under the paint, so it was rusting from the inside
so it put me off the build quality, the tried the ktm loved that but would not want to go far on one

The 1200gs love it (but only had it a week)

yes i did love the ktm but it vibrated that much you could not see anything in the mirrors
and the seat is very sharp on the edges, after 2 hours i had a sore bum
and the turbulance from the sceen was coming from behind my helmet and down the front of the viser
and at 5"10 it was abit tall for me
but it was bloody quick but the 1200 seems as fast
and the insurance (2 years ago) was about £700 but the bm is £200
:bow

stephinson said:
yes i did love the ktm but it vibrated that much you could not see anything in the mirrors
and the seat is very sharp on the edges, after 2 hours i had a sore bum
and the turbulance from the sceen was coming from behind my helmet and down the front of the viser
and at 5"10 it was abit tall for me
but it was bloody quick but the 1200 seems as fast
and the insurance (2 years ago) was about £700 but the bm is £200
:bow
Thanks for the reply.

You're right about the mirrors. The motor seems to vibrate more when it's revved harder and then the mirrors get useless. You'll be fair shifting when riding it like this, though, and the bike is tall geared so you can keep the mirrors fairly clear at a decent speed.

I didn't actually ride it for two hours so you may be right. I'd gamble that you can get used to it.

I found the aerodynamics fine.

I'm about 6'1". Seat height was OK. Because it's narrow, it spreads your legs less (oooh, err) so you can tolerate a higher seat than on the wider GS but you have to try it to be sure.

It was bloody quick. If the speedo's accurate (and this month's Bike mag says that it isn't too bad), it's actually a fair bit quicker than the GS for me. I rode one down some fairly tight roads and, when I looked at the speedo, was going about 10 mph faster than I would have been on the GS (very subjective). This may be a good thing or a bad thing.

Hmm, the insurance is definitely something to check.

A 2007 990 Adventure will probably be my next bike. It's everything the R1100 GS could have become if they'd have kept it simple.

I think the insurance was high because it had just come out
but the price of them is not much different from the (basic)bm but I think the bm will hold its value more

I have just got the 1200gs after having a 600 ninja and the gs feels quicker up to 100mph

Loving it
:clap

The KTM 950 will only blur the mirrors if it's carbs ain't set up well. One demo I tried was terrible, another a load better, but the one I now own is clear in the mirror department. It does vibrate more than a BM 1200, but not intrusively so. Oh and wait till they sort out the injection mapping on the 990 stuff.

I think you should buy any multi cylinder Japanese bike as it's what you really want. An Aprilia won't suit as you won't be happy with the running costs.

I've had multi cylinder Jap bikes ( VF500, GPX750, and most lately XJR1300 ) found both of the straight fours a bit bland, have come to the conclusion that I prefer twins as I always come back to them, ( GS500, Firestorm and now GS ) as for the running costs of a Prilla, they can't really be much more than for a BM as I bet that they do not have the 6000 miles AND yearly requirements to be adhered to.

guffter6969 said:
as for the running costs of a Prilla, they can't really be much more than for a BM as I bet that they do not have the 6000 miles AND yearly requirements to be adhered to.

Are you saying that if you do more than 6000 miles a year that you will need to have the 6000 miles service carried out and after a year you will then have to book it in for the annual service on a BM?

Back
Top Bottom