Kinlochleven.......

Dick Dastardly

Reaction score
....near Fort William, possibly the finest loop of road to get you back to within a stones throw from where you started in the UK

:clap

Dick Dastardly said:
....near Fort William, possibly the finest loop of road to get you back to within a stones throw from where you started in the UK

:clap

Must agree with you there, but before the bridge was built it was a pain in the ar$e :rob

Connel Bridge, to the A82 and Glenn Coe, Kinlochleven loop and follow the coast back to Connel Bridge the try and stop grinning before breakfast is served.

Agreed crackin wee bit of road :thumb

Attachments

• 62331774-L.jpg
    62331774-L.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 814
Absolutely, one of my favourite roads in the UK. When ever we travel up to the Highlands, we always go via Kinlochleven.

:thumb :hapybnce: :thumb

I've heard only good things about this area-must get up there one day,another one for the list :rolleyes:

2 wheel humvee said:
I've heard only good things about this area-must get up there one day,another one for the list :rolleyes:

I wouldn't, it's always fecking freezin. Stef's photos have have digital trickery applied. :D
I always loved the loop through Glencoe on the A82, down to Oban, then back along the A85 past the Cruachan power station....superb. When it wis sunny :cool:

Nice road but…..

Yes, it’s a cracking bit of road and only about 13 miles from my back door but, it can be deceptive.
A motorcyclist killed after his bike left the road near Kinlochleven in the Highlands on Tuesday has been named as..........
From here
The accident happened this week about 5 miles along from Stef`s picture, close to the viaduct.

Lots of fast sections of road around here, this isn't one of them.

All roads can be danderous and care must be taken, but you don't have to ride at silly speeds to enjoy such a road as this and the great scenery. :)

Thats not taking away the sad loss of a fellow biker and the loss for his family and friends.

Enjoy, but ride safe. :thumb

shedracer said:
All roads can be danderous and care must be taken, but you don't have to ride at silly speeds to enjoy such a road as this and the great scenery. :)

Thats not taking away the sad loss of a fellow biker and the loss for his family and friends.

Enjoy, but ride safe. :thumb

I fear someone else might also have lost their life last night, radio reports of the M80 closed most of the night after an accident involving two cars and a motorcycle

I'm glad to hear it's a nice road, I'm riding to and staying at Kinlochleven on Monday with a few buddies, it's the first nights stop of our week long annual Highland tour. I 've heard the whole area has been subject to some major face lift since the foundry closed down. Not going on the GS though, I'm taking my new Harley 1200 Sportster as it's just run in and been serviced. I bet it pisses down, always does when I go to Scotland.

fatal said:
I'm glad to hear it's a nice road, I'm riding to and staying at Kinlochleven on Monday with a few buddies, it's the first nights stop of our week long annual Highland tour. I 've heard the whole area has been subject to some major face lift since the foundry closed down. Not going on the GS though, I'm taking my new Harley 1200 Sportster as it's just run in and been serviced. I bet it pisses down, always does when I go to Scotland.

You going with Big Mike, is he on his GSA or the Harley? After following him on his RT through the Highlands a few years ago I doubt he's slow in either.

Did this road myself last week, with the family in the car!! :p

Fantastic Road, always wanted to do it on the bike.

If you want, stop at 'The Ice Factor' rock climbing and ice wall place in the village for a drink and then do the other half. :thumb

Lovely grippy tarmac however lots of dippy tourists cruising everywhere at 40mph!!!

My mate took me round the loop last sunday fine bit of road ,got to stay sharp as some of the corners fair catch you out first time round.GS made for it great fun

fatal said:
I'm riding to and staying at Kinlochleven on Monday with a few buddies. I bet it pisses down, always does when I go to Scotland.

Looking at the weather forecast i'm geussing you were absolutely correct. Maybe you should put on a dress and get in front of the camera as Look North West's new weather girl?

Wisnea to bad the other day, but the midges were out in force

Attachments

• kinloch.jpg
    kinloch.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 302
I was there for a long weekend in May with some friends from work. Very wet when we arrived but we setup the tents and went to the pub. Campsite was good, nothing fancy but clean and friendly. It's next to the West Highland way about 50 yards from the ice factor place.

this was taken as we were heading round the loch on the Sunday morning. As you can see the weather had improved a bit....we got fresh snow on the mountains that night though.

Attachments

• kinlochleven view.jpg
    kinlochleven view.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 300
Nice picture Stool. I remember the loop very well used to live in Onich in the early 70's and it was sods law on your return from the south you missed the last ferry and had to go all the way round, this all changed when they built the bridge. Was speaking to one of the old ferry men last year and as he said it was a great job with a watering hole at each side I often remember waiting at the ferry while the skipper was "delayed" at the Loch Leven Hotel while he finished his pint. Can't imagine anything like that happening now but they were different times and full of characters.

Stayed there a couple of times, including when walking the West Highland Way, which is fantastic. What was less fantastic, the morning after anyway, was getting enmeshed in a lock-in with a gang of road menders in the pub there, 1/3 of whom were women (ish) and drank like no tomorrow, which there very nearly wasn't.

Interesting museum of aluminium there too, oddly.

Back
Top Bottom