BMW Auxillary Lights

(RIP) Sugar Ray

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've read all the posts on auxillary lights, and was intending to wait until after I actually get my new Adventure (July delivery) before deciding which light bar & lights to go for. The Hella lights seem very cost effective, and I've wired them up to my cars in the dim & distant past without any problems.
However, I popped into Rainbow at Sheffield this week, and they had just taken delivery of a new Black Adventure (same colour as mine) that had the BMW lights fitted. I thought they looked really smart & suited the bike prefectly, so I'm now being tempted by the BMW lights which fit very simply on the beak. They are about £300 to buy as a kit. Has anyone fitted them themselves, or is it best left to the dealer, and if so, how much will they charge?
Appreciate any advice, regards,
Charles

Charles,
The kit comes with an additional wiring loom (including a spare connector for another aux socket). It doesn't look like a big job to fit - I'd expect it would take you a morning to do.

But don't.

Because, although they look good and perform as well as a set of fog lights from Halfords, they're grossly overpriced and extremely fragile. After a prang in Dec I decided to replace them with PIAA 910s, which are cheaper, give a better light pattern and are much tougher.

Mike:)

Mike O said:
But don't.
Because, although they look good and perform as well as a set of fog lights from Halfords, they're grossly overpriced and extremely fragile. After a prang in Dec I decided to replace them with PIAA 910s, which are cheaper, give a better light pattern and are much tougher.

I can only confirm that Charles, seen reports of those light breaking off from vibration only. Mine (Hella FF50) cost a fraction, produce lots of light and have survived a minor crash already.

3.hellaff50.jpg

A few more pics here

lights

if you're contemplating £300 on BM's lights DON@T
spend £250 instead on the single touatech HID unit it is truly awesome
speak to David at Rainbow regarding this unit.;)

Just bought and fitted one of the Touratech HID jobbies. looking forward to trying it out over the weekend........:D :D :D

I did see the Touratech unit fitted on a bike (David's?) the last time I was in Rainbow. Touratech also make a fog light that looks the same - anybody tried them? I don'y think they look anywhere near as good, but they are supposed to be awesome.
Regards,
Charles

crvfr said:
I did see the Touratech unit fitted on a bike (David's?) the last time I was in Rainbow. Touratech also make a fog light that looks the same - anybody tried them?
I've seen both on a friend's GS.
The HID blurts light in huge amounts in all directions. Disadvantage is that you need to put it out if you see somebody approach, unless you want them to end up in the ditch - OR on your lane...
The fog light is very visible but doesn't provide much more light for yourself while driving.
They do look good, in my opininon. They are Hella lights by the way. Touratech only adds a few mounting brackets.

Thanks for the feedback - I think I've decided on the Hella FF50 lights. All I've got to do now is wait for my bike to be delivered! I'm getting more impatient by the day. I was almost tempted to ask about the sun yellow GS that my dealer had in stock last week, rather than wait another 7 weeks for my black Adventure!
Regards,
Charles

www.hella.com

take a look at www.hella.com as they have an online beam comparison gismo, you can compare their products only but still quite interesting!

Aux lights

hi there i know the thread is quite old but I collect my new adventure on saturday with the BMW lights fitted the dealer quoted me £425 to supply and fit these items but as I was parting with £11250 for the bike they fitted the lights for £25.00 labour which i didnt think was bad
I had a set of non BMw ones on my old GS which looked real good using a home made Bar to mount them on, drop me an email if you want to know how to do it but overall the Genuine ones are a better idea try to bid the dealer on the installation
Happy riding
GS Slayer:p

They charged you for fitting a BMW option on a new bike?:eek:

I had all my options (including things like Touratech Special Set panniers) fitted free - the question of paying for fitting never came up. I think your dealer has a bloody nerve charging you to fit any BMW option on a new bike (especially one you are spending over £11k on). It's not too late - give your dealer a hard time - worth a try!

Mike

Should've bought a HID

Dennis, i see it didn't take you long to spend the money!!!

Dennis, i see it didn't take you long to spend the money!!!

Ah well, there comes a time when it just has to be done..:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom