2720 lost my routes?

mermoto

Reaction score
Well I just got back from Garmisch and although overal I was pleased with the 2720 I still feel it could be improved in a number of ways, however. One big problem I had was I lost all my pre planned routes on the first day and how it happened I don't know. It could have been me errased them accidently but I dont think I did as Im pretty familiar with all the menus now. Anyway what happened was this: I was following one of my planned routes and 350 mile approximately and needed to stop for fuel, unfortunately I couldnt find a fuel stop on the particular stretch of road I was on so turned into a town thinking one would easily appear. It didnt so decided to search for the nearest fuel on the garmin which it found within 1.5 miles. I then turned the garmin off while paying for the fuel and when I turned it back on to select the route again to continue my journey, all the routes and saved way points had gone. So what happened? is there a bug in the software or could I have somehow deleted the routes by accident? I notice that the delete key is a large bar at the bottom of the menu. But I assume it would need a second confirmation to delete all?? This was a bloody pia considering all the work I had done to plan the routes. If I did delete them accidently then Garmin should hide the delete function further in the menu to reduce the risk of accidental deletion. :(

Mermoto

mermoto said:
I was following one of my planned routes and 350 mile approximately and needed to stop for fuel, unfortunately I couldnt find a fuel stop on the particular stretch of road I was on so turned into a town thinking one would easily appear. It didnt so decided to search for the nearest fuel on the garmin which it found within 1.5 miles. I then turned the garmin off while paying for the fuel and when I turned it back on to select the route again to continue my journey, all the routes and saved way points had gone. So what happened?

Mermoto
I should think you were royally p*ssed-off at that point! What unit software version were/are you running, so we can all look out for the problem?

FWIW, I often search for fuel while navigating a route and I generally use "Insert in current route" coz I'm lazy and want the 2720 to route me both to and from the fuel stop. The GPSR always gets turned off when I refuel (it's switched via the ignition) and the route always resumes when I turn on the key.

st13phil said:
I should think you were royally p*ssed-off at that point! What unit software version were/are you running, so we can all look out for the problem?
key.

Im using the current version, all updated.

Mermoto

You mean even looking in 'my data' and then 'routes' you couldn't find them ?

Colin.

mermoto said:
So what happened? is there a bug in the software or could I have somehow deleted the routes by accident?
I kind of suspect, given that the software for this GPSR has been out for over a year and is now fully mature, and also given that you are a relatively new user of the device, that you probably deleted the route yourself.

In fact, what is most probable of all is that you went to a lot of work to create the route on the GPSR, but you didn't 'save' it. So, the route was held in memory for the length of that particular power cycle, and when you either turned the GPSR off or asked it to route you somewhere else (to the gas station), your route was discarded. Think of what happens if you write a document in Microsoft Word, but don't 'save' the document before you close the window.

I notice that the delete key is a large bar at the bottom of the menu. But I assume it would need a second confirmation to delete all??
Yes, your assumption is correct. Not only do you need to press a second button to confirm deletion of all routes, but the default setting of that second button is "No, don't delete them".

Michael

I created the routes in mapsource and transfered them to my 2720 prior to leaving on my trip. They were present on my arrival in Holland and I used the first route to navigate well into Germany. It was after this that they were lost. I can't beleive that I deleted them by accident and without noticing it, as was pretty familiar with the menus having spent the last few weeks using and setting it up to my liking - but who knows. I wondered if it had happened to anyone else?

Mermoto

I've never heard of it, (beyond someone really new messing up, as it sounds like you didn't...)

Perhaps an email to Garmin UK, explaining this, may get you another GPS on warantee... Just to keep your confidence up in your unit...

I've never lost waypoints or routes before...

Al...

mermoto said:
They were present on my arrival in Holland and I used the first route to navigate well into Germany.

Hmmmm... I know that waypoints won't show up on the screen if you are a long way away from them (over 200 miles, this is intentional, to reduce clutter), but as far as I know, routes always show up.

Did you look at the GPSR when you returned to the UK, to check and see if the routes were visible then?

Michael

PanEuropean said:
Hmmmm... I know that waypoints won't show up on the screen if you are a long way away from them (over 200 miles, this is intentional, to reduce clutter), but as far as I know, routes always show up.

Did you look at the GPSR when you returned to the UK, to check and see if the routes were visible then?

Michael

Hi Michael, Yes I checked it carefully at home. All of the personal data had gone, including the track log and home. My track log after that point saved as normal 1,300 miles worth :)

Mermoto

Wow. I really don't know what to say about that. I have had the odd GPSR 'burp' and lose non-vol information, but only when testing pre-production units with pre-release software. I have never heard of one losing non-vol information during normal use.

If your GPSR does that ever again, it would probably be reasonable to contact Garmin, explain the problem, and ask if they would have a look at it (translation: They'll replace it with another one). Hopefully, though, it will be a one-off thing that never happens again. Maybe it was due to the alignment of the planets, the phase of the moon, or something like that...

Michael

Back
Top Bottom