Garmisch Biker Fest 2006

mermoto

Reaction score
What an event, what a place, what crazy weather!

I had a great trip to Garmisch, the roads and scenary are fantastic. The weather was stinking hot for the ride down though followed by cosiderable rain. Would I go again, yes. But one point, my sore point if you are planning on camping. Mr BMW does not let you take your bike on to the camping site, instead you are expected to park up on a gravel parking area with hundreds of other bikes and carry your camp gear to the site. Not good and not popular! I was so pissed off I refused to submit and left the bike park in disgust. Now that may seem a little extreme to some however I feel very strongly that as Im camping on a motorcycle trip I alway keep my bike with me and leaving my bike away from where I am camping/sleeping is not an option. Not least it is inconvenient because of transfering equipment and the risk of damage to parked bike crammed in with so many other bikes but also because I like my bike next to my tent so I can access it easily for checking and packing etc. Bye the way I found a very nice campsite at the west end of Garmisch with plenty of shade and shelter. It even had an Aldi accross the road, which was handy for refreshments and at a very reasonable price :beer:

Mermoto

Went last year, looking foward to going next year :thumb

I`m glad you posted that about not being able to have your bike next to your tent.

I`d have fecked off somewhere else too............... :thumb

I was coming home from the Dolomites and passed GArmisch on the Friday - I havn't seen rain like that in a long time. I came over the FernPasse in Austria in 2nd gear as I just couldn't see ore than a few feet ahead.

Glad you enjoyed it in the end.

AndyT :)

mermoto said:
Mr BMW does not let you take your bike on to the camping site, instead you are expected to park up on a gravel parking area with hundreds of other bikes and carry your camp gear to the site. Not good and not popular!

You must have camped behind the main event tent then (the area set aside for UK campers last year). If you had camped the other side of the little brook you could have had you bike next to you. Or if you camped down at the bottom of the field, in fact if you had camped anywhere else you would have been able to do it. But at least you camped which is the main spirit of the event in my opinion.

Alternatively, you could have camped behind the main event tent, dismantled the fencing, ridden your bike up to your tent, loaded it up and then waited for the huge lorry taking away the dirty dished to move out of the way....

German humour is alive and well in Garmisch.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom