Off road rideout suitable for novices and those on road tyres.......

Abelrider

Just posting to gauge intrest at the mo.

If theres intrest I aim to run a short ride in the area between Mildenhall, Thetford and Bury St Edmunds, shown on the map below:
Offroad.jpg

I know its an area some of you have ridden in the past.
For those that havent.....
The tracks are fairly level and easy going, with the occaisional small patch of soft sand. I rode them yesterday with Animal on the motards and we had no problems at all.
Anyone with a sense of adventure could manage them on pretty much any bike if they took it steady, so they wont really appeal to seasoned off roaders.

Anyhow, anyone up for it?:)

Might be:)

Good lanes round there.....

Attachments

• DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 241
Offroad

Hi Adam
Yes, I'd be up for it too.
I road some of them recently - the Icknield Way Path, Dukes Ride, West Stow Road and also some North of Thetford - Harling Drove & Hereward Way, there was only one tricky sand section that I remember which I think was at Croxton Heath! Some of us were on knobblies but most were on Tourance type tyres.
Cheers
Ray

RayS said:
North of Thetford - Harling Drove & Hereward Way, there was only one tricky sand section that I remember which I think was at Croxton Heath!
I was not sure on the status of them cos they are marked with the pink dots on the OS 1:50000. Are they deffo legal to ride?

Abelrider said:
I was not sure on the status of them cos they are marked with the pink dots on the OS 1:50000. Are they deffo legal to ride?

Hi Adam
On a recent OS Explorer 1:25,000 they seem to be OK and one of my pals who led us on these routes only rides on legal routes, so I believe so. We also did a bit of Peddars Way (ducking under the railway line near Bridgeham)and then some routes to the East of Euston and then the Icknield way SW from Euston.
Please let me know your propsed route Adam nearer the date.
Ray

:bounce1 Hi, newbie here, would certainly be interested in joining you guys depending on when you intend to go, do you have a date planned yet please ?

Alan (Peterborough)

Abelrider said:

Errrrrrrrrrrr no sorry I misled you, they are unfortunately not legal to ride. Have PM'd you Adam

Ray

RayS said:
Errrrrrrrrrrr no sorry I misled you, they are unfortunately not legal to ride. Have PM'd you Adam

Ray
I can just see the ramblers now..... :rob

:D

Abelrider said:

Harling Drove is definately a legal route. A white lane with red dots is defined as an ORPA (other route with public access). This is now becoming the common way for ordnace survey to show old county roads (UCR). Not all of them have vehicle rights but most do.

Peddars way is more iffy. Some parts are okay others are classed as bridleway or footpath, so be careful around here.

We did some of the Thetford lanes a few weeks back and at least one of the ones shown on your bit of map had a TRO (temporary restraining order) posted at the end because of track damage. Once again be careful

I may be up for joining you as it will be nice to follow someone else. Will have to negotiate another shore pass with SWMBO.

Llama said:
Harling Drove is definately a legal route. A white lane with red dots is defined as an ORPA (other route with public access). This is now becoming the common way for ordnace survey to show old county roads (UCR). Not all of them have vehicle rights but most do.
Yeah thats the important bit. How do you know its deffo legal?

at least one of the ones shown on your bit of map had a TRO (temporary restraining order) posted at the end because of track damage.
Can you remember which one? Cos I didnt notice any on friday, but there was a couple I didnt do.

I may be up for joining you as it will be nice to follow someone else. Will have to negotiate another shore pass with SWMBO.
Hope ya make it.:)

sounds interesting if the dates are ok. :thumb

Marcus.

Harling Drove is a county road and is driven regularly by all sorts of bikes and 4x4's. Although I haven't checked specifically for a while there is no doubt that it is legal and the recnt bill won't have altered that.
By all means check with county hall but I'd bet a months wages (or at least a mars bar) that there's no problem :D

WRT the TRO it was wet and slippy at the time and I was a bit lost but I'm pretty sure it was the lane that runs SW from TL 85555 76379. I don't know how far down the restriction ran to as we bypassed the lane altogether.

Hope this helps.

Ralph

Would definitely like to have gone, but the dates not good - family vacation time.

If anyone plots or records the route as a track, please post it, I am not familiar with the area and would like to explore 'legal' byways some time.

YKIMS Marcus.;)
nick said:
Would definitely like to have gone, but the dates not good - family vacation time.

If anyone plots or records the route as a track, please post it, I am not familiar with the area and would like to explore 'legal' byways some time.
I will deffo do it again sometime, and if you want a guide on another date, drop me a PM and we can arrange something.:)

Llama said:
Harling Drove is a county road and is driven regularly by all sorts of bikes and 4x4's. Although I haven't checked specifically for a while there is no doubt that it is legal and the recnt bill won't have altered that.
By all means check with county hall but I'd bet a months wages (or at least a mars bar) that there's no problem :D
Kewl. If we get nicked your months wages can pay the fines. :thumb

WRT the TRO it was wet and slippy at the time and I was a bit lost but I'm pretty sure it was the lane that runs SW from TL 85555 76379. I don't know how far down the restriction ran to as we bypassed the lane altogether.

Hope this helps.

Ralph
Cheers m'dear.:)

YKIMS Marcus....Adam, what's that mean?..................is the run still on ? might be able to get a couple of mates along for this. :thumb

Shurv said:
YKIMS Marcus....Adam, what's that mean?..................is the run still on ? might be able to get a couple of mates along for this. :thumb
yeah its still on.:)
You know It Makes Sense.;)

Back
Top Bottom