Connecting GPS to a 1200

Les Wassall

HiD50.com leading light in HiD
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The bm navigator gps has a lead that connects straight onto a plug just by the head stock on the 1200, to power it up, there are 3 wires in the plug, Black, Red and Purple.
Can I solder the earth and live of the Quest mount onto the plug and connect then to the system.
Am I right to think the Black = earth and the red= live, so the purple would be the audio.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

The RT also has a power point near the headstock. A three pin plug, 12V-ve, 12V+ve, and I was told by a tecchie, the third was data?? Maybe speed data for dead reckoning. Not sure if this is of any help :nenau

Les:

I don't know what model of BMW Navigator you are talking about - whether it is a Nav I, II, II+, or III.

If it is a II, II+, or III - in other words, any of the BMW Navigators that have the same physical shape as the Garmin 2xxx series of GPSRs - I can help you with pinout information. I don't know what the actual wire colours correspond to, but you can match the unknown purple wire up to the pinout diagram below using a continuity tester.

Here is how the pins are assigned for the 8 pin connector on the back of the GPSR (or, the 8 pin cable - same thing). There are two vertical rows of pins, one row contains five pins, and the other row contains 3 pins.

For the row containing 5 pins, the assignments go like this (pin 1 is at the bottom, pin 8 at the top):

8 - Speaker positive
6 - RS 232 transmit
4 - Reverse signal (from car backup light, or moto sidestand)
2 - DC Ground (negative)
1 - 12 Volt DC power (positive)

For the row containing 3 pins, the assignments go like this (again, looking at it top to bottom, with 7 being at the top and 3 at the bottom):

7 - Speaker negative
5 - RS 232 receive
3 - Speedsensor signal input

Be aware that not all functions are supported by hardware (i.e. "used") on all models of 2xxx GPSR. For example, only the 2650 and 2660, which have dead reckoning capability, use the signals from pins 3 and 4. I don't know which (if any) support the RS 232 data communication function, and I have no idea at all what the RS 232 data communication function could be used for*, or if Garmin even implemented this feature. Maybe they just reserved a pair of pins for possible future use.

As you can see, the speaker wires consist of a pair of wires from pins 7 and 8, and the power wires consist of a pair from pins 1 and 2.

Let us know what pin you find that the purple wire connects to.

Michael

* But I can guess - lemme see - when the GPSR detects a speed camera, it sends a data signal to automatically disconnect the cruise control on the Gold Wing being driven by Fred & Ethel, an elderly retired couple from Florida... :D

Not the best picture but to give an idea, the two black plugs go to the gps and the other is the one I want to sort.

I could try a continuity test on the plug, just did not want mess at the momnet.

Attachments

• piict 0221.JPG
    piict 0221.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 183
I can't remember the wire colours off the top of my hear, sorry, but you can find out which is which very easily with a voltmeter and continuity tester. The +ve wire will oviously show 12v, the negative will show continuity to ground. The third wire is speedometer information for the dead reckoning of the Nav II, I believe, so you ignore that if you have a Quest.

Les Wassall said:
Not the best picture but to give an idea, the two black plugs go to the gps and the other is the one I want to sort.

I could try a continuity test on the plug, just did not want mess at the momnet.
Try PMing "Desert Rat" - he wired up his GPS using the "white connector" end from my old cable.

Back
Top Bottom