Summer Holiday To Germany/Austria

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

We're just back from our annual summer hols to see my Mum and Dad in Germany. We took the bike over on the Newcastle/Ijmuiden ferry and did the run down to Rheinland Pfalz at a healthy pace as I was deperate to get there in time to see the Germany/Argentina game.

Going over as often as we do, it's hard to try and find new places to go and see in the relatively local area. The great thing about taking the bike is that return visits to places can be just as good as the first time round.

Schwartzwald (north end) is an easy ride from Jockgrim, where my folks live and for a wee change, Christine and I crossed the Rhein from Lermersheim on the wee ferry. It only cost 3.5 Euros for the both of us and the bike.

82281864-L.jpg

The road between Baden Baden and Freudenstadt (especially to the half way point at Forbach) is one of my favourites.

We also went on a great road from Jockgrim to Dahn, near Pirmasens. The road takes you through Bad Bergzabern and some nice twisties into the Pfalzerwald. We stopped at Altdahn where there are the ruins of three castles which were built into the soft sandstone of the Wasgau. The castles were originally built in the 12th century but as they disintegrated after their destruction some 400 years later, the castles and rocks gradually merged into one. The ruins and view from the top of them are fairly spectular. The climb up to where I took the photo from is not for the faint hearted.

82261874-L.jpg

We then went to Austria for a few days and unfortunately (in one way) I had to leave the bike in Jockgrim. We took my parents with us and had a brilliant five days based in Lech Tal. We again stayed with The Schwarz family in Stanzach and I cannot praise their B and B highly enough. 21 Euros per night is outstanding value.

To combat the big meals and numerous steins of beir I was endulging in, I went on a few high level walks. In temperatures of plus 30, I was confident of keeping my weight down in order to get into my leathers for the rest of the holiday...(well, I could try anyway)

Here are a couple of photos that I took on the mountains, near Stanzach.

82295062-L-1.jpg

82256971-L.jpg

82256970-L.jpg

I got to about a couple of hours or so's walk to the summit of this one and had to throw the towel in. I was out of water and absolutely drained. It was a great day though...

82256973-L.jpg

My Mum wanted to see Oberammergau and Kloster Ettal.

82347346-L.jpg

82347347-L.jpg

On our way back to home we went past the beautiful Plansee and past Schloss Neuschwanstein.

82256968-L.jpg

82261873-L.jpg

It was great to be able to take my parents and show them the small part of Austria and Bayern that I know. They really loved the trip.

Needless to say, it was magic to get back to Jockgrim and back on two wheels.

Christine fancied a return trip to Rudesheim (we hadn't been for about 10 years) so we headed off in brilliant sunshine and took the ferry over the Rhein from Bingen. The Niederwald Denkmal never ceases to amaze me with it's sheer size and sense of achievement. It took 6 years to complete in the late 1800s and is absolutely massive. It was built to celebrate the re establishment of the German Empire. My photo doesn't really capture the full scale of the monument but to give it some sense of scale, the Imperial Sword in Germania's hand (top figure) measures 7 metres. The large group of figures across the centre of the monument are all life size. I shudder to think what such a piece of sculpture would cost today.

82261878-L.jpg

82272683-L.jpg

82272682-L.jpg

It was then back on the bike for the nice wee run over to Idar Oberstein. The Felsenkirche is built into the rock high above the town and the footslog up to the church in teperatures of over 35 degrees had me almost praying...

82256972-L-1.jpg

Outside the Museum there is a monumental tribute to the Jewish residents of Idar Oberstein who were deported and murdered during the Nazi regime. It was erected several years ago by todays residents. It was quietly humbling.

The home run was made keeping off major roads and via Kaiserslautern down through the Pfalzerwald on the Johannisskreuz road. It's an absolutely brilliant road.

We had another run up to Ludwigshaffen to visit my cousin Uwe at his converted church which is now a bar/restaurant. It's in the city centre called 33 and he'll give discount to UKGsers ;) . Here's a photo of his daughter, who was helping him out. I reckon she might be slightly popular with young German lads...

82347344-L.jpg

All in all, we had a brilliant trip. The only complaint (if you could call it that) was the heat. Jeez, opening your visor was like someone blowing a hot hair dryer into your face.

To finish with, here is a photo of my bike at the back of Hinterstadtel, Jockgrim

82281868-L.jpg

and one of me, (wearing my "unlucky for some" German top on the night Germany played Italy), Christine and my Mum and Dad. We're in the Zum Elefanten pub, Jockgrim where the hosts did much to add to my weight problems during our holiday. Great food :thumb :D

My parents are both 80 in a few months and I reckon that they look great.

82295065-L.jpg

I should have mentioned my Garmin Quest. It was the first time that I really got a chance to try it out and I was very, very pleased with her. No hiccups whatsover and I really wonder how I managed before... :)

Well, thanks for allowing me to share this with you. Hope it wasn't too boring...

Looks like you had a great time Ronno. An interesting report with some stunning photos. :thumb

I would definately not take your parents to be 80 jahre alt. Fair play to them both. :clap :clap

WOW !

I don’t want to go there, I don’t want to go there, I don’t want to go there.
When are you going to take me there :thumb

Thanks for the comments, lads. :thumb

G.C., places like this are what your expensive bike and luggage are for ;) Well, apart from the great roads and scenery on your doorstep :thumb

Just say the word, my man...

What great shots Ronno

Enjoyed the write up and the pics, your mountain shots are superb, it looks really hot. I hope to visit Stanzach next time I return to Austria.

That Germania looks pretty impressive but not half as impressive as your Octogenarian folks pal :thumb

Nice pics. Stayed in Rudesheim on the way to Italy this time last year, very nice place. We took the cable car to the Niederwald Denkmal at night to see the best fireworks display I've ever seen.

The road from Koblenz down the east side of the Rhine was good too :thumb

Great shots.

Brings back some memories too. I was working for Reuters in Frankfurt between 1989 and 1991, so had a few trips to Rudesheim, then up the cable car. Some great roads round there and over to the Taunus mountains too. Your parents do look great for 80. Hope I'm still around at that age, though I definitely won't look as great as I do now... :cool:

Ronno said:
..... Christine and I crossed the Rhein from Lermersheim on the wee ferry. It only cost 3.5 Euros for the both of us and the bike....

Ronno, you should have travelled a bit further South. The Rhein ferry between us and France is still free!

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Let me know when you're over next and we can ride the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse together!

Cheers

Dave

Ronno,

Great photo's and a great write-up about one of my favourite parts of the world.

Thanks! :clap

Hi Ronno

Look's like you had a Grand holiday in the Fatherland,crack'n photos the home team were unfortunate but that's life,see you in Sept, Oh and it's your round :D

Schultz

Great Pics and A great write up Ronno....

This is all almost on my doorstep. I will be looking on map later to see how far i gotta go from my place (still quite far) but think i will be planning a trip that way i think...Especially if i can get discount from the 33 :thumb Area is beautiful. Many places near to where i live have similar views but you really need to head south (as you know) to really get the landscape.

I am heading to Dumfries area in a week or so also doing the Amsterdam - Newcastle route. Will be in the car though :( Taking my children to see their Granny.

Again,Great pics :thumb

Mac

Back
Top Bottom