We did it!! GS tames the Pamir Highway, Tajikistan.

Sergeant Pluck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from a 3 month trail around Central Asia including riding what must be one of the worlds most remote and inaccessible and stunning roads in the world: The Pamir Highway in Tajikistan. We rode 12,000 miles and visited 23 countries including Romania, Moldova, Transdneistria (which doesn't exist), Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia (including South Ossetia :yikes ) and Turkey. We covered all kinds of terrain, 1000's of kilometers of it really rough, crossed more borders than you can shake a shitty stick (or an orange batton) at, got pulled over by straight and bent cops god knows how many times, saw some amazing sights and met some truly wonderful, hospitable people.

Both bikes (1150GS and an Africa Twin) did fantastically well - the only problems I had were both front fork seals going one after the other and a knackered rear light cluster. It ran on sub-80 RON fuel, crossed mountain passes at 4500 metres plus, managed to plough over some really crap surfaces and generally got a damn good battering all pretty much without complaint. Still seems incredible that more stuff didn't go wrong on such a big and cumbersome bike - we even got away with only one puncture between us throughout the entire trip! (mine unfortunately :eek: ).

Central Asia is not the easiest of places to ride to and around; it requires a bit of planning and an certain amount of stamina in some places but the rewards are fantastic in terms of natural beauty but mostly in terms of the friendliness and hospitality of some of the people we met who live in some of these crazy, often very poor and sometimes oppressed places.

Will post more pictures and a rudimentry ride report when I'm unpacked and settled in, but for now here's some piccies that I like...

Cheers,

Pluck

Err, road closed. Romania
temp001.jpg

The motorway, Kazakhstan style
temp002.jpg

temp003.jpg

Dans bike in one of the potholes...
temp004.jpg

Most of Kyrgystan looks like this - beautiful
temp005.jpg

More Kyrgystan...
temp006.jpg

Near the Tajik border - thats the Pamir Altay mountain range we're heading for. Some of those peaks are 7000m +. China is to the very left of the picture.
temp007.jpg

Heading out on the Pamir Highway
temp008.jpg

This shot was taken from a pass at 4650m. The Pamirs are is basically a high plateau range (approx 3500m) with huge peaks all around, and forms part of the Himalyan range. It's so remote that each valley is cut off from it's neighbours for much of the year round, and often each valley will have it's own language. The scenery is truly awesome, like being on Pluto or something.
temp009.jpg

Tajikistan is desparately poor, slowly trying to recover after a bloody civil war. The average annual wage probably wouldn't cover the cost of a new rear tyre. Much of it's money comes either directly or indirectly from the opium trade which uses it's moutains and high passes to traffic heroin to the west. The locals are semi-nomadic, and despite everything, friendly, hospitable and interested. These children from Murghab loved having their photo taken.
temp010.jpg

It's hard to capture the sheer scale of the landscape - our lenses simply couldn't fit it all in! Thats Afghanistan across the river there.
temp011.jpg

temp012.jpg

This Sunni muslim family from one of the mountain villages took us in and treated us like kings. The hospitality we recieved here and on many other occasions on the trip truly humbled us. Our stay with this family I think was my highlight of the trip. They didn't have much, but what they did have they shared with us.
temp013.jpg

River crossing...
temp014.jpg

Best not wander of the track! Landmines all down the Tajik / Afghan border. Tajikistan's mountains are prime hide-out territory for Islamic insurgents, so even if it wasn't for the landmines you probably wouldn't want to wander off without a good guide :eek:
temp015.jpg

More reminders of war - this one probably left by the Russians after they pulled out of Afghanistan.
temp016.jpg

The old guy is a "white beard" - one of the village elders.
temp017.jpg

more to come....

Great

Wonderful pics. - looking forward to reading more.
I wish I had the nerve to take on atrip like that

Sherpa ;)

You tease!

When will the full story be available?

Fantastic taster. Can't wait to read the full story. :clap

Nice one - fantastic pictures. Well done indeed.

Look forward to reading more.

What did you break on your bike?

:bow

Vern, Never mind his feet being itchy ....it's mine I'm worried about !!! Looks like a superb journey and I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Well done Neil :thumb

That went quick, seems like you only left few weeks ago.

Looking forward to hearing your tales :D :beerjug:

A phenomenal trip, incredible pictures, well done!

A clever choice of GPS/radio too, how did the Garmin Rino’s perform?
temp003.jpg

Looks good. Lot's more detail and lots more pictures please :thumb

Thanks for all the replies peoples - it certainly was an amazing trip - probably the biggest thing I'll ever do.

It'll take a bit of time to put the report together - loads of photo's to sort through and trying to condense the whole trip down into a readable report is a midly daunting prospect, but I'm on the case!!

Are you glad to be back,or are you getting itchy feet already

Vern - glad to be back but it won't last long :D

What did you break on your bike?

Amazingly not much - both fork seals, rear light cluster, pathetic rear hugger thing destroyed itself. I serviced the bike in the road in Almaty, Kazakhstan and had BMW do another one in Istanbul, and that was it. Although I've just been down to take all the crap off it and noticed a rumbling in the rear wheel - so i guess I should include a rear crown wheel bearing in the list too.

The fork seals weren't really a problem - long story but basically the first one went on the morning we left Bucharest and (due to Dans clutch going) had only 10 days to get to Almaty in Kazakhstan. I ummed and arrred a bit, a sent a few panicy PM's to Steptoe (thanks for the advice Neil :thumb ) then decided to ignore it and press on. I figured that as long as oil was coming out of the seal, lubrication was still occurring and therefore it should be OK. So I tied a sock around around the fork lower to stop oil getting on the brakes and forgot about it. It was fine for the 2500 miles or so to Almaty, 500 of which were over the worst terrain we experienced on the whole trip! I had my dad DHL replacements over to Kazakhstan where I put a new one in, using engine oil to replace the lost fork oil, figuring that being heavier it would just sit at the bottom of the fork doing nothing but raising the level of the fork oil :eek Seemed to work!

I was pleased as chuff as we set off from Almaty for Kyrgyzstan until I looked down half an hour later to see oil leaking out of the other one! I ignored this one for the whole of the rest of the trip until we got to Istanbul where BMW fixed that one too.

The bike delt with everything very well - although it is too heavy and bulky for most of the terrain we experienced. I would probably take a lighter bike next time, or devise a trip with more tarmac. Having said that, from Romania onward, I didn't drop the bike once. Offroad the GS copes OK if you take it steady, but I wouldn't really describe it as being 'fun' to ride in those conditions. Dans Africa Twin pissed all over my GS when the going got tough - especially on sand, partly due to the weight advantage but mostly due to the bigger front wheel, narrower tyre and longer suspension travel. The one thing the GS does have is seemingly endless traction from the back end with knobblies on. I sometimes felt that if I couldn't ride round or over something, I'd just ride right through it!

A clever choice of GPS/radio too, how did the Garmin Rino’s perform?

Well spotted Sir! The units themselves are fantastic, very rugged, waterproof: generally very military-esque. The radios were excellent, but our choice of headsets was shite so we didn't use the radio's for most of the trip. The GPS - well Dan loved it and used it all the time. I was less enamoured - it was nice being able to see how close you were to the next destination, but I just didn't 'click' with it - more of a nice-to-have than an essential piece of kit for me although Dan would beg to differ.

The other downside is that they add to the considerable amount of attention you get on the road from cops, border guards and people generally who have never seen anything like the bikes we were riding and the kit we had with us before in their lives. It was uncomfortable having to lie about how much the bikes cost (we settled on $2000 as a reasonable sum) knowing that even this reduced figure is far more than some of them will ever earn :(

While I think about it, one funny thing that happened in Kazakhstan: we'd been pulled over for maybe the 700th time by a traffic cop waving his SFOB (stupid fvcking orange baton!) and the guy was absolutely delighted by the fact that he'd knicked Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor when they passed that way, and now he was knicking us too!!! What are the chances of that then eh?! Wonderful, we thought. It was such a shame he couldn't find the polaroid of his celebrity collar. :D

Right, I've been putting it off - I've got to go and extract my socks and pants from my bag, wish me luck... :D

Back
Top Bottom