New Motorcycle specific GPS - FROM GARMIN!

Mike Werner

Cloggie amongst Frogs
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Garmin released a motorcycle specific GPS called the Zumo. Bluetooth, big buttons, it will even tell you when you're running dry (gas, not beer) and route you to the closest gas station.

US$ 1000 available in October

Garmin Zumo

Is it me, or does anyone else not quite get why Garmin are releasing this?

Best I can fathom its Garmin's answer to TomTom Rider. But why? Their existing 26x, 27x are generally regarded as superior for our requirements, and the 2820 has the Bluetooth and MP3 functionality as well. Which isnt really a major requirement for most of us.

I think the fuel mileage is a bit of a gimmick, and I cant help but think it will be more trouble than its worth. Maybe just for those without fuel gauges already I guess.

And its $1000, which when converted into £s with Garmin's state of the art currency converter will no doubt not fall far short of £1000 (at least to start with).

Why wait for that when anytime now you will be able to pick up a bike ready 2610 for around £300, would you really miss Bluetooth and MP3 that much?

:nenau

Mike

SilverFish said:

Best I can fathom its Garmin's answer to TomTom Rider. But why? Their existing 26x, 27x are generally regarded as superior for our requirements, and the 2820 has the Bluetooth and MP3 functionality as well. Which isnt really a major requirement for most of us.

I think the fuel mileage is a bit of a gimmick, and I cant help but think it will be more trouble than its worth. Maybe just for those without fuel gauges already I guess.

And its $1000, which when converted into £s with Garmin's state of the art currency converter will no doubt not fall far short of £1000 (at least to start with).

Why wait for that when anytime now you will be able to pick up a bike ready 2610 for around £300, would you really miss Bluetooth and MP3 that much?

:nenau

Mike

Probably the bigger buttons do help, and the sall size.

They're releasing this for those people who find it hard to pass-up on any must-have electronic gadget that costs more than $1k.
For my part, I'd love to have one... Wouldn't like to pay for one though..
< gadget envy >

SilverFish said:

Definitely a size thing. The 26XX / 27XX / 28XX series are fine on a Pan or a GS but plenty of sportsbike riders want something that's small and light.

This has bigger buttons and a bigger screen than a Quest plus no easily damaged aerial.

Mutley1150 said:
Definitely a size thing. The 26XX / 27XX / 28XX series are fine on a Pan or a GS but plenty of sportsbike riders want something that's small and light.

This has bigger buttons and a bigger screen than a Quest plus no easily damaged aerial.

and don't forget, you will not run out of gas... ;)

That's the problem with having a company so Engineering driven... gotta keep them guys busy...

So you have a product line with hundereds of choices in it...

Personally I think the 2820, or 37x with software options would be all one'd ever need... larger screen the better IMHO... but there you go...

Al...

You are a tease Mike :p

So how is it you know about this and Michael (Pan) doesn’t, or does he??? :eek:

ebbo said:
You are a tease Mike :p

So how is it you know about this and Michael (Pan) doesn’t, or does he??? :eek:

I did say it was NOT Garmin....

'cause I got approached by them after reading some of my articles.

The Zumo is now displayed in the Garmin site. Zumo

Interesting note, it includes a motorcycle handlebar mount !!!

A rechargeable, removable lithium-ion battery (three hour typical use) is integrated into zūmo for trip planning or use on foot.

Well that's rubbish then....3 hours???? :spitfire

No bloody good at all for those of us who want to transfer it to a pogo for a day's offroading without having to faff about wiring a power supply in....it's a real step backwards considering you get 10 hours plus out of a Quest

In addition, zūmo even accepts electronic maps — making it the ultimate off-road navigator.

That bit's good though........we can upload maps of the Moroccan pistes etc up or import street maps from TT QV for Africa etc.....i like that :thumb

All the linking piccies and MP3 stuff is gimmickry though IMO.......doesn't add anything to it for me at all........I'd rather have the unit cheaer without the pointless bells and whistles :)

Fanum said:
Well that's rubbish then....3 hours???? :spitfire

No bloody good at all for those of us who want to transfer it to a pogo for a day's offroading without having to faff about wiring a power supply in....it's a real step backwards considering you get 10 hours plus out of a Quest

That bit's good though........we can upload maps of the Moroccan pistes etc up or import street maps from TT QV for Africa etc.....i like that :thumb

All the linking piccies and MP3 stuff is gimmickry though IMO.......doesn't add anything to it for me at all........I'd rather have the unit cheaer without the pointless bells and whistles :)

They say "typical' meaning you'll have BT on. Turn it off, and you'll probably double the battery life.

The bit about loading electronic maps looks really good. I think they're the first.

All in all, better than the TomTom

Tis better to have, than have not :thumb

You don’t have to use the features, there’re there if you want them

And a 10,000 point tracklog…

ebbo said:
Tis better to have, than have not :thumb

You don’t have to use the features, there’re there if you want them

If it didn't cost you anything I'd agree, but there's no point in paying a fortune for a load of bells and whistles you don't want :nenau

Mr Garmin, can we have a stripped down version please.....give me the same thing, enough memory for Europe in one plus a bit for some offroad maps, the POI database and warnings bits, the good tracklog, the bike specific design features and a ten hour batttery life.........charge me 250-300 max quid for it and I'lll buy one, as I'm sure thousands of others would.

Bells and whistles at a grand???? No thanks ;)

Fair comment Fanum, but its highly unlikely Garmin would build a stripped down version, I was always told electronics cost next to nowt. :nenau

Electronic maps can mean a variety of things, not nessecarily raster maps.

Looks like a waterproofed StreetPilot c550 to me and definately designed to compete head-on with the TomoTom Rider

No mention of alternate grids and datums or tracklog and trackback so probably not a lot of use offroad.

Back
Top Bottom