What GPS for £300?

FATBOY

What's the best value, decent to use, GPS for sale at around £300 please?
I need full UK and occasionally Europe, and ideally easily transferred to my van. Postcode a big advantage.
Nothing fiddly to set up/use. Any thoughts?
Ta, Phil.

Perfect timing. If I was looking for a GPS system for around £300, you could do a lot worse than THIS :thumb

I've already got a 2610 and I'm very happy with it, even though I paid over £500 for it about 6 months ago. At the time, that was the "going rate".

You will not be able to find a postcode, although you will be able to narrow down a search using part of the postcoode, eg SA34 1.

Thanks Taff. Any news re the second post, about a version with RAM mount, bike power cable etc?
That sounds good, and cheaper too. :)

FATBOY said:
Thanks Taff. Any news re the second post, about a version with RAM mount, bike power cable etc?
That sounds good, and cheaper too. :)

Phil, its still being worked upon, the 'sticking' point is the global shortage of power & audio cables :spitfire but there is a third party cable coming :D. The configurations are at 8 option bundles with RAM and RAM~Migsel mount options, so far.

Thanks steve. When will this happen, and how will it be sold/advertised? Is there somewhere I should check out (daily! :D )?
Just what I'm looking for!
Phil. :)

The Quest 1 is a good GPS but paying 300 quid for one these days is a bit over the odds.

The 2610 has a bigger screen that's touch sensitive, easier to use (IMHO) in gloves. Only downside with that is that if the screen or your gloves are dirty it can scratch but it seems to be pretty tough.

2610 has the capability of holding all of Europe if you buy a large memory card too, the Quest won't do that.

New quests are available for less the £250 and 2nd hand quests are going for about £150-ish and are far more capable than many think.

You can install more maps in its memory than you can cover in a 2 week tour as long as you plan it before hand and stick within reason to your plan. For example it will hold all the maps to cover a route through france, via Paris down to Algeciras in spain with plenty of room each side of the route for detours and leave room to spare for more.
For general use it will hold the whole of the uk.
It has a compass feature which the 2610 doesn't have which will be absolutly essential on the mongolian steppes ;)

I have downloaded some off-road routes into it and it has guided me through a days greenlaning and although the lack of postcode search is a bit of a pain you can get to most places and if you use www.streetmap.co.uk you can convert the post code to a grid ref and get it spot on.

The in-built battery means that I have used it in Liverpool city centre, on foot, to find the nearest cinema and you dont need a power lead to programme it away from the bike.

I dont find the screen size too much of an issue and I have it mounted above the clocks on my 12 and once I'm moving I don't tend to operate the buttons anyway.

I'm not saying that its better than a 2610 but I do reckon its on a par as each has its pro's and con's.

One thing to bare in mind though is whatever you go for you need to cost in the price of a mount and (if you want sound) some sort of autocom type unit.

After saying all this about the quest the best idea at the moment (so long as your not desperate) is to wait for Ram-man to come back with his deal.

Ralph

Thanks Llama. Truth is I already HAVE a Quest. My wife bought it me as a gift and so didn't ask my advice. She ended up buying me the US version, with no software and a US basemap. :eek:
I bought the Mapsource Europe, but to my annoyance, it doesn't support live nav. :spitfire
I've talked sweetly to her and she says I can sell the lot, and start again, hence the £300 with my extra cash going in.
As you can imagine, it was a delicate subject and VERY hard not to sound ungrateful, which I'm absolutely not. :)
Not many wives would buy such a thing, ride their own bikes (Speed Trip) and not be scared of a long hard ride out. I did well there. :thumb
Sooo, here I am with a new GPS for sale and definately liking the sound of RAM-MANs deal.
On the plus side, the missus is a sweetie. :D

Well Chasr. It only seems to let me drop in routes from the PC. Nothing on board so to speak. No recalculating of routes.If I don't waypoint something to go to it doesn't follow the road.
Not happy. :(
Most annoying is not recalculatng as I often just fancy the look of a road.
Phil.

Still not sure I'm following you...

Just a thought....

When uploading the maps to the Quest did you put a tick in the box to include routing information. (It's at the bottom of the 'maps' tab on the left hand side of the mapsource window.

I'll be quiet now...

-Rob

FATBOY said:
Thanks Llama. Truth is I already HAVE a Quest. My wife bought it me as a gift and so didn't ask my advice. She ended up buying me the US version, with no software and a US basemap. :eek:
I bought the Mapsource Europe, but to my annoyance, it doesn't support live nav. :spitfire
I've talked sweetly to her and she says I can sell the lot, and start again, hence the £300 with my extra cash going in.
As you can imagine, it was a delicate subject and VERY hard not to sound ungrateful, which I'm absolutely not. :)
Not many wives would buy such a thing, ride their own bikes (Speed Trip) and not be scared of a long hard ride out. I did well there. :thumb
Sooo, here I am with a new GPS for sale and definately liking the sound of RAM-MANs deal.
On the plus side, the missus is a sweetie. :D
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

My wife bought it me as a gift and so didn't ask my advice. She ended up buying me the US version, with no software and a US basemap.

most people subconsciously give other people they actually want themselves ( think about it )

so just give it to her to use :nenau

Timeandtide, You saying she wants to leave me and go to the US? ;)
Interesting...

RobD. I'll check that out, but I don't think that's the core of the problem. The software just won't do route calculations, or recalculations on the quest (maybe on no units??). :nenau
Advice gratefully received.

Sounds like you may have a copy of City Select, which doesn't do routing, instead of what I assumed, City Navigator, which does.

-Rob

robD said:
Sounds like you may have a copy of City Select, which doesn't do routing, instead of what I assumed, City Navigator, which does.
City Select does 'do' routing.

Fatboy: it's very hard to follow what you're saying and, therefore, give appropriate advice. For instance 'If I don't waypoint something to go to it doesn't follow the road.' is absolutely meaningless. Moreover, when you talk about 'software', I can't work out whether you mean Mapsource (PC), or City Select/City Navigator (maps) or even the unit software.

Can I suggest you read the manual thoroughly, then trawl through the many posts which, I am certain, cover 99.9% of the possible problems one can encounter with a Garmin GPSR. You should, however, realize that having a US Quest, without an original copy of European mapping, is not the best place to start.

When you said 'I bought the Mapsource Europe, but to my annoyance, it doesn't support live nav' - where did you buy it from? Did it include the unlock codes? Was it from ebay?

'Live nav'; is that similar to Live Aid?

Llama said:
It has a compass feature which the 2610 doesn't have which will be absolutly essential on the mongolian steppes ;)

My 2610 has a compass ???? in the top left corner of the unit :nenau

Steptoe said:
My 2610 has a compass ???? in the top left corner of the unit :nenau

No, no, no I've told you this before a thousand times; we lowly 2610 owners don't have a compass like the NavII owners have we have a lowly compass ribbon.

And just bexause it's as accurate and useable as the full compass, doesn't cut it!

Back
Top Bottom