Quest - Waterproof?

Mr K

Reaction score
Just dropped off my 2nd Quest at the shop where I bought it.
My first one would not aquire satellites anymore, the day after a soggy motorway journey and so they gave me a new one.
This one now shows misting or some kind of discolouration inside the screen after a damp day in Ireland, so it's on it's way back to Garmin.

They've been fine about it, but I'm starting to wonder if I've just been unlucky or wether anyone else has had bother with "waterproofness"?

Otherwise I love it and am lost :rolleyes: without it...

:beerjug:

Unlucky

I think you've been unlucky on the waterproof front. They are supposed to be waterproof and are supplied as boat navs as well. Mine has been fine in torrential conditions despite being dropped and breaking off the bit of case in the bottom right hand corner at the back. :nenau

On the other hand I did lose satellites just like yours - see here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78887

I hope this is not a trend :confused: I know exactly what you mean about being lost without it :eek

I suspect you'r just unlucky so far, we do get occasional reports on the forum of misting on the inside of various Gamin units, but not often. Some people I know have taken the back off to air them off, I can’t really recommend that though.

Personally, I’m on my 4th Gamin in 7 years; all have been fine in torrential rain

Probably unlucky. Mine has worked in all conditions it's just the bought-on-EBAY earphone that has packed up and had to be replaced.

It's 13 months old now (touch wood) and it is working fine after a lock up that meant it was u/s for almost a day until the battery ran down about 6 moinths ago (touch wood).

I bought some little plastic things to save the screen getting scratched off Ebay too.

Well, mine's been through rain of biblical proportions and survived OK. I think you've just been unlucky.

We discussed this a while ago on here, there's some pix of Kev's Quest swimming in a fish tank on this thread and it's still working AFAIK.

But if it routes him to Achen instead of Achill this weekend, you'll know dunking it wasn't such a good idea :D

Mine survived the trip home from Mondello earlier this year - And that was horrendous. No probs :thumb

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'll see how it goes and can look forward to dicking around with the software again... :rolleyes:

ChrisKelley said:
Just dropped off my 2nd Quest at the shop where I bought it.
My first one would not aquire satellites anymore, the day after a soggy motorway journey and so they gave me a new one.
This one now shows misting or some kind of discolouration inside the screen after a damp day in Ireland, so it's on it's way back to Garmin.

They've been fine about it, but I'm starting to wonder if I've just been unlucky or wether anyone else has had bother with "waterproofness"?

Otherwise I love it and am lost :rolleyes: without it...

Hope it's a one-off!

I've always commented that the good thing about the Quest is that - if you end up in the river................. it'll tell you which river!

Al :D

:wave :hogroast :wave :hogroast ..... Collected my 3rd Quest - No quibble from Maplin today and barring a faulty USB port on my PC (Arse!Feck! Shat! :spitfire ) all sorted.

Once again I know where I am and can sling the A-Z in the glove-box/tank-bag.

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

My Quest 2 went through the centre of a thunder cell at 7000 feet over a pass south of Grenoble and survived despite rain and hale the storm fried my phone though.

bigbob1 said:
My Quest 2 went through the centre of a thunder cell at 7000 feet over a pass south of Grenoble and survived despite rain and hale the storm fried my phone though.

My first 2 gave up in:

a) 190 miles of A1/M1 in torrential rain.

b) From 10:00 - 15:00 in Irish rain on the west coast.

I am apparently unlucky.

:D

After a couple of horrendous storms in Germany and Belgium this 'summer', mine would not pick up satellites.

:spitfire :spitfire :( :( :( :(

I discovered it worked occasionally if I waggled the antennae up and down!!

:( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( :rolleyes:

Came home, put it in the airing cupboard and it improved.

:mmmm :mmmm :mmmm :mmmm :mmmm

Squirted WD40 on the antennae joint and no problems since.

:D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom