Artic circle august 2006

PASO

Julie my girlfriend and i are off into sweden and norway in 3 weeks time on a charity fundraising effort .Any advice on riding to the artic circle /experiences greatly appreciated :)

Are you going on the Ice Cold trip? Me too. What have you found out? How cold is it going to be?

-How cold is it going to be in Norway in August?
Well, if I knew I would be a millionaire! :clap
But I don't, so I say:
Bring short pants and t-shirts, bring longjohns and wool, bring good rain gear, and read here; http://met.no/english/climate/index.html .
Juli and August is when most of us want to have a holiday.
It can be +5C and rain in one place, and 6 hours riding from there it can be +20C and sun, at the same time. Or +28C, like it is here right now!

Up north, like Kirkenes, Vardø and Nordkapp they do not have a summer each year, as we southerns say, and smile! :)
And in Bergen it is raining all the time, as we in the south east say, and smile! :)
And those who live up north are laughing when the rest of us are complaining because of the cold or wind.

It's a long country, with fjords and mountains.
If you stay in the south I guess it would be like Scotland - a little less rain in the east.
If you go up north and over a mountain (Snowdon and Ben Nevis are ''peanuts'' for us; we have roads with tarmac at 1360 metres, Strynefjellet) it gets colder, specially in bad weather.

Windstopper and BMW are making good underwear, and wool is a good thing, just in case it gets cold and wet.
If you leave home in cold weather, wearing much clothes; bring an extra bag to put the clothes in if/when you get hot weather, or buy some souvernirs! (I guess you don't have too much room on your bike, like me!)

And:
Search for my posts in the Travel section; I have posted a lot!

And bring money and a VISA card!
But you may camp in the woods for free, if there is no houses near by. A night or two at the same spot is OK, then please move your tent and give the plants a break.

And a little goodie for you; the speed cameraes do not take a picture of the rear end of motorbikes... :D (But do not ride too fast; it might be a couple of eyes looking at you from behind a bush.)

Have fun! :beer:
:) Liv.

Me and my wife have just returned from a 4 week, 5500 mile trip to Northcape, 1000 of them on dirt roads. I took my 1150adv and she took her Dakar.
We were very lucky and only had 2 days of rain.
Watch out for the reindeer, be prepared for mosquitoes,
Norway has spectacular scenery but is very expensive We payed up to 600Kr for a Hytte. The speed limit is very slow.
Food and fuel prices in Sweden are similar to the UK. Some of their camp sites will require you to have a camping card, 100 Kr the first time you camp. Stugors cost around 300Kr - 450 Kr, camping is between 80Kr - 150Kr.
The quickest way to the artic circle is up the 45 but a bit boring.
If you have got time I would recommend Finland it is fantastic value for money and very friendly people.

rfawcett said:
Are you going on the Ice Cold trip? Me too. What have you found out? How cold is it going to be?
Yes its the icecold trip :cool: caant wait thought most peeps on the trip were from shropshire look forward to meeting you :rob

Well we made it :cool: it was agreat trip and a few GS boys on it too hopefully we raised over £20,000 for hope house hospice oh and my girl friend Julie is now my fiance :rolleyes: :cool: :D If i knew how to post pics i would add a few :confused:

Last edited:
Well hope this works :cool:

Attachments

• polarsirkelCF1455.JPG
    polarsirkelCF1455.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 247
And 1 more ...not much snow :confused: lotsa GSs :cool:

Attachments

• gs circle000501.JPG
    gs circle000501.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 245

Back