which one?

Pink Crash Helmet

Reaction score
I know this is going to have been asked before but which system do I buy, Garmin, TomTom etc. I need it to work on the bike and in the car and I don't want to spend a fortune, am I asking too much?
Your expert knowledge needed, please help.

Dave.

How long is a piece of string?

This question has been asked many many many times before and there is no definitive answer. A lot will come down to budget, but in addition we also need to discuss which features you think will be the most important to you and what you intend to do with it.

Some people use existing PDA based systems. These are fine in the car but you'll spend ages getting a usefull setup that is waterproof for a bike and still useable.

If you are looking to keep expenditure down than the choice comes down to either a Garmin Quest or a Tom Tom rider. Someone will be along to tell you that there are older out of date models which can be picked up cheaply but if you have never used a GPS then the newer models are easier to use and have greater capacity for waypoints, tracklogs etc. The Garmin Quests (1 and 2) have the facility to plan routes on the PC and download them. Something you may find usefull once you get used to the GPS.

If you have plenty of spare cash then do a search for the 27XX or 28XX series Garmins and the BMW systems. All have advantages / features that may appeal.

If you decide on your budget and then search on the models suggested then I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know. :thumb

Quick aside.....

The short answer is no, they don't.

For me the main question was "Do i buy the Quest 2,( all Europe installed,internal battery and small) or the 2720 (all Europe, no battery, a bit larger but compatible with the TMC system for the cage)?"

In the end, the 2720 won. Of course I still have plenty of days when I wonder if I made the right choice!

Back
Top Bottom