autocom on 1200gs

Oly

:nenau Help,
Bought a 1200gs on wednesday thisk week and need to fit my autocom and satnav. I plan to take the satnav straight to the battery but am not sure where to get the live from for the autocom unit as i need it to power down when the ignition is off.. Can anyone help??

The R1200Gs presently suffers from an intermittent fault on the computer controlled power supply to the accessory socket. It can sometimes shut down whilst riding. Hopefully a future software upgrade should solve this.

Early bikes (like mine) had the autocom wired from the accessory socket wiring and all was fine until BMW released the last software update which caused the problem meantioned above.

The cure is to connect the autocom live wire to the grey/blue wire in the headstock wiring loom on the LH side of the headstock (parking lamp feed wire), and connect the earth wire to a good earth point on the bikes frame. I altered my bike to this wiring and the annoying random on/off fault with my autocom is cured, and the autocom turns off with the ignitin switch.

Autocom

I split the wires at the back of the accesory socket for the autocom and then wrapped it in bubble wrap and mounted it on the service book holder on the back of the tank.

I haven't done it yet but I intend to wire the sat nav to the front gps socket. Both of them used to be wired directly to the battery but I had a lot of issues with flat batteries hence the change.

Hope this helps
Ralph

Oly, I've just finished getting an old AutoCom Eurocom working with my 1200. I took a 12V feed directly from the battery via an inline fuse and relay. This gets round the problems associated with power dropping in and out on the accessory socket.

I sourced all of the bits from Maplins for next to nothing and am happy to give you more info if you PM me or post a phone No.

The only bit I've yet to finish is building a lead to get the 9V from the accessory socket to power my GPS (an iPaq with a bluetooth GPS) and feed the 'speech' from TomTom into the AutoCom so it's heard over the music.

Firebird said:
Oly, I've just finished getting an old AutoCom Eurocom working with my 1200. I took a 12V feed directly from the battery via an inline fuse and relay. This gets round the problems associated with power dropping in and out on the accessory socket.

Firebird
Just keep an eye on your battery. The autocom draws power all the time I found my battery would go flat if I left it more than a week.

Ralph

Oly said:
:nenau Help,
Bought a 1200gs on wednesday thisk week and need to fit my autocom and satnav. I plan to take the satnav straight to the battery but am not sure where to get the live from for the autocom unit as i need it to power down when the ignition is off.. Can anyone help??

I originally fitted the autocom using one of their relay units which connect direct to the battery with a "trigger" wire coming from a ny switched circuit on the bike.

When I fitted a Centach fuse box complete with relay (lots of connections for auxilary lights etc) I connected the autocom to that and everything works perfectly.

The 1200 has an accessory socket specifically for a Sat Nav as part of the wiring loom on the left side of the head stock.

Llama said:
Firebird
Just keep an eye on your battery. The autocom draws power all the time I found my battery would go flat if I left it more than a week.

Ralph
I'm hoping the relay will stop that problem as it should only allow the Autocom to draw power when the rear light is on (ie. when the ignition is on).

So I connected my Autocom to the back of the accessory socket, works a treat now I've moved it away from the battery, but have not used it for any great distance yet.
If the socket shuts down how long does it usually take, and is this problem only on the earlier 1200?

:confused:

Les Wassall said:
So I connected my Autocom to the back of the accessory socket, works a treat now I've moved it away from the battery, but have not used it for any great distance yet.
If the socket shuts down how long does it usually take, and is this problem only on the earlier 1200?

:confused:

If the socket shuts down it wil reset as soon as the bike is turned off. Not sure if this problem is limited to the earlier bikes or not, it happened once with me since I got the bike in February.

I think probably, i will take sat nav straight to battery as its easy to switch off and i can use it when the ignition is off. Perhaps take the live for the autocom from somewhere else like the rear lights. bike being delivered today so tonight will be good to crack on.

I have an early 04 bike. The accessory socket is a nightmare - I suspect it is temperature related, the hotter it gets the more it cuts out. When it gets into this mode, it is about 5 minutes off, then on for maybe 20 seconds, then off again. It does not appear to be load or voltage dependant - same behaviour with or without a heated vest or heated grips on. SOMETIMES if you stop the engine, and wait for all the instruments to go blank, it will be OK afterwards, for a few minutes or hours. I gave up on a recent long trip and rewired directly to the battery in a layby.

Fitted mine last week to my new 1200. Autocom to accessory socket and GPS direct to battery. Done 1,000 miles since, all 2 up, and the Autocom has worked fine so far........

Dave

gsSpike said:
I have an early 04 bike. The accessory socket is a nightmare - I suspect it is temperature related, the hotter it gets the more it cuts out. When it gets into this mode, it is about 5 minutes off, then on for maybe 20 seconds, then off again. It does not appear to be load or voltage dependant - same behaviour with or without a heated vest or heated grips on. SOMETIMES if you stop the engine, and wait for all the instruments to go blank, it will be OK afterwards, for a few minutes or hours. I gave up on a recent long trip and rewired directly to the battery in a layby.

Welcome my friend - just noticed this was your first post.....

Dave

Wired autocom to the barrel shaped thing with wires in it. Unscrewed the cap, drilled a hole in the cap. fed the live through it and into the bottom of the barrel onto a pin with 12v with ignition on, none when switched off. Hope this works, seems to in garage. Just not very secure so vibration may play a part in it. Time will tell

Oh Oh!

Oly said:
Wired autocom to the barrel shaped thing with wires in it. Unscrewed the cap, drilled a hole in the cap. fed the live through it and into the bottom of the barrel onto a pin with 12v with ignition on, none when switched off. Hope this works, seems to in garage. Just not very secure so vibration may play a part in it. Time will tell

That'll be fun when it goes in for a service then! Let us know how you get on at the next one :rolleyes:

Sherpa ;)

Oly said:
Why do you say this? HAve i done something to damage things?

Sounds like you have hardwired into the diagnostics plug, :nenau

Shep

Oly said:
Oh Bugger, I will remove it then. Where else could i wire it?

Rear light seems to be favorite, i wired mine to the back of the accessory socket on the last two 1200's with no problems, on the new GSA i've just fitted a Centec fuse board straight across the battery and have powered the GPS from there, very neat, but dosn't switch off with the ignition :nenau to have it switched you need something like or similar to the relay and loom supplied for the job by :clap Motorrad Concepts :clap , I rarely use an autocom so will take the fuse out of any appliance I dont use for a while, or maybe even fit a switch to the bars so I can switch the autocom off while not in use :nenau

Shep

Back
Top Bottom