High visibility jacket

xpi0t0s

Any idea where I can get one from? I'm after a proper motorbike jacket in high vis, not the waistcoat/overjacket/harness things that are worn over other jackets (can't be bothered with all those extra layers).

I've tried Hein Gerick but after "Er, yes, June, definitely" then "Er, yes, July definitely" and now "Er, yes, August definitely" I can't be arsed with them any more. I *need* a new jacket NOW!

I've also tried a search on the site for high visibility jackets but that just brought something up about the Pope :nenau

I know, I know!

I took the piss out of my bruvver for getting one a year or so ago.

Now thinking of getting one myself. :confused:

Hein Gerricke ??? do them and The Slow Granger (brother) rates his very highly. Not cheap though. :eek

Theres one on the Oxford Road (a Hein Gerrickkke) if you're in Reading. :thumb

Good luck. :beerjug:

Skip.

If you have a hi vis vest over the jacket it can be re newed every so often for minimal cost when it gets dirty etc so having maximum hi vis! :thumb

Halvarsson

353_halogen_40_web.jpg

/Swede

Not tried these, but have them to look at in the future:

www.bikeseen.com

www.vander.co.uk - go to workwear

Probably better to do search of the site for "hi-viz" and you should come up with at least a couple of other threads giving information about this kind of thing.

I've got the HG Daylite one i.e. hi viz yellow plus reflective stuff for nightime.

It is a great jacket, warm and waterproof too but they do get pretty dirty and the dirt doesn't seem to wash off.

They really are good jackets and so have HG looked to see if any of their other stores have them?

You will, of course, still be in stealth mode to most car drivers....

Tim Cullis said:
What are the police jackets? Are they proper jackets with armour or merely tabards?

Some Police forces are evaluating the Halvarssons stuff that Swede posted a link to. The Met uses textile garments made by Scott.

(According to a post by Paul Varnsverry on uk.rec.motorcycles which can be viewed via google http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.motorcycles/msg/d79241961496010a )

If you live in range of Bedfordshire then you can get the Halvarssons stuff here:
http://www.glfacc.demon.co.uk/

http://www.glo-marka.co.uk/

I've got the 'mesh' with reflexite for summer use and the thicker jacket (again with reflexite) for winter - gets nice and warm! Reflexite works better with light from varying angles and in rain (allegedly).

The winter jacket has a wider neck opening so it doesn't interfere with bike jacket or lid. Also has long elasticated inner cuffs which have space for the tops of gloves (over the cuff but under the jacket.

The summer jacket is great - slightly shorter sleeves, again allow for doing up gloves easily without too much flapping and a wider, bike jacket friendly collar.

I'd definitely go for the Class 3 style (with sleeves) rather than a Class 2 (waistcoat only).

I thought about getting a hi-viz fully amoured like the HG Voyager - but as and when the hi-vizness fades / gets beyond the restorative powers of washing, you're stuck with a complete jacket that doesn't do what you want. With the over-jackets, you can easily just replace it as required without the £2-300 outlay.

Steve

or there's this stuff....
http://www.niton999.co.uk/new/products.asp?querycategory="Cycling"

I bought a cycling jacket which goes over my ordinary jacket. It is goretex, has a long arse so you sit on it's tail, and works great. Bit dear 70 yoyos, but does the job.

Zippy said:
I'd definitely go for the Class 3 style (with sleeves) rather than a Class 2 (waistcoat only).

I thought about getting a hi-viz fully amoured like the HG Voyager - but as and when the hi-vizness fades / gets beyond the restorative powers of washing, you're stuck with a complete jacket that doesn't do what you want. With the over-jackets, you can easily just replace it as required without the £2-300 outlay.

Totally agree with Zippy - mesh class 3 is the way to go - Just a matter of finding someone who does reflexite rather than scotchlite - which is rubbish in the wet, so thanks for the link fella! Makes a big difference to being seen especially in winter months and amazing how quickly people get out of the way too - can't think why! ;)

We have yellow and red reflective tape on the back of the panniers and blue and yellow battenberge on the sides. The front of the bike has large yellow patches cut to suit the bike.

The bikes are 1300 Pans so have plenty of space on the front and sides for this. But even so I don't think it's realy that affective. However the red and yellow on the back of the panniers has an amasing affect, if a trainee is being followed too closely by some numpty car driver, I'll nipp in under his front bumper, and all of a sudden he's following at a good safe distance. The red and yellow stripes work every time, making people think about what they are actualy doing.

All the trainees wear new yellow hi'vis vests with 'rider under instruction' written on them, but no body takes a blind bit of notice.

I refuse to wear a yellow hi'vis, but because it's mandatory to wear a hi'vis I wear an orange one.

The trick is to stand out in the crowd, people see the bike before they see the rider. Ride somthing they'll notice, fit extra lights, 'on the back too', use loud pipes so they hear you comming. Buy a yellow helmet.

Your nice new hi'vis vest/jacket is probably hidden by your screen, and if your realy inteligent, you'll have a black rucsack on your back.
That'll work then won't it :thumb

Just a side note,

I spent a couple of years recently driving a truck on and off building sites. Everyone is supposed to wear a hi'vis, but the one person everybody notices is the one NOT wearing a hi'vis vest.

Ride safe Val.

Zippy said:

Thanks for all the feedback. That, plus Clive795's comment that coppers have hi-vis over leathers rather than actual hi-viz jackets seem like two good reasons for the high-vis over jackets. The bike shop next to the KFC in Reading (Oxford Road) has them for fifteen quid so I'll give one of those a go.

I will next time too.

Just make sure you get a zip fastener rather than the rather weak velcro type. :thumb

HG Daylight improvements

The Daylight is still good and my fav.... just wish Gerick would put proper zips on their pockets! Also is really hot in summer.

Check out posting for this alternative one - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72569

I'll be having a look at this next time I replace because of the vents - which HG does not have - hence limiting it to the cooler months.

Good ski jacket though and my mates never lost sight oof me!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom