Tyres - Tourance or not tourance

Tim Doolan

OK! slight problem - needed new tyres, asked for Tourance to be replaced - came back and they'd put on some strange things called Avon Divanzia - Rang BMW who told me they are not suitable for R1150GS!!! Is this true and do I go back to shop and cause a small riot or are they the same and it dosn't really matter.

Does anybody know the answer???

Tim

Tim,

let me check I've got this right. You asked for Tourances to be fitted. They fitted something else.

Why do you need advice as to whether to go back and tell them to do what you told them to do?

Mike:confused:

let me check I've got this right. You asked for Tourances to be fitted. They fitted s

Agree with Mike O right down the line there Tim.

I would also add that having tried a variety of different tyres on my 1150 I have returned to Tourances as IMHO they are simply the best all round tyres for the bike ( assuming of course that you still have the standard size wheels)

Echo!!!

If they fitted the wrong tyres I would be getting the right tyres for a discount minus any fitting charges etc etc etc.

Jump up and down, they have endangered your life!! as you thought they were tourance.

HTH, Nick

Tim,

Firstly, if they fitted something you didn't ask for, go back. However if you paid and rode away could it be seen that you accepted them?

Are you sure the make/model wasn't "Avon Distanzia's"?

Avon PFD document on Distanzia's

If you haven't got Adode Acrobat, their website is here, click on products, then dual sport.

I recognise the name 'cos at the bike show in Cystal Palace Avon had this tyre on their stand & I got chatting to the staff about it. It's supposed to be dual purpose but more inclined for the road/distance etc. I was looking at it for my 650GS at the time.

Cheers

Jon

Yes I think he means Avon Distanzia's I had some of them fitted to My F650GS Not a bad tyre

but being a tyre fitter If you asked me to fit Tourances and I could not get stock then from the customer services point of veiw
I would have phoned you and explained the Problem and gave you the choice before I fitted them.

Pm me with your mobile number I will call you maybe I can help

Mike
Tims new and confused :D like the rest of us:D :confused: but
maybe he wanted to make it a national event

The event of wrong brand tyres fitted in London

"but honest gov the tyre said Tourance when I fitted them,dont know how the Avon got printed on the side" :confused:

Yes - seems like its not been my week!!! wrong tyres fitted, wrong name of tyres, wrong place to put thread - what else can go wrong???

thanks for advice

tim

If you leave Distanzias fitted be careful in the Wet. I found them Brilliant in dry conditions but totally unpredictable in Damp or wet, one minute they gripped next they didnt.

Mike

Not replaced yet, waiting for bike shop to get back to me - do not think it will be a problem as they have always been brilliant in past

note comments re: using them in the wet - fat lot of good they will be for the UK then.

H rated Tourances are like rocking horse droppings at the moment which probably explains why you were fobbed off with a subsitute. I was given V rated for the same price. I believe it is the distributor doing this deal so it won't harm the retailer. Push for a set of V if he says he can't get H.

Mike

The subject of Tourances interests me (I also collect Anoraks), so when I was in the BM Center in Loppem en route for Hamme on Saturday I was amazed to see a local guy having the worn Tourances replaced with Annekin-Skywalkers from Michelin.

He said that all the local GS-ers were getting them instead of Tourances.............

Anyone been down this road..... so to speak?

I ask as this week those nice blokes at Watling in Catford are going to fit a pair of Tourances to replace my worn out T66's..... in exchange for 170 quid.... they do take the wheels off to save me getting dirty mitts....

The Michelin tyres you mentioned are 'Anakee' and have received very good test results here recently, tested on R1150GS and V-Strom. I was at Hechlingen Enduropark recently where one of the instructors had them fitted to him Adventure and rated them very highly. As for me I will stay with Metzelers, I work for them!

Stick with the Tourances..

Although the Anakees perform exceptionally well, it comes at the cost of wear rate. I'm currently 2k on my rear and it's half worn. I get 6-7k out of a Tourance.

Re: Stick with the Tourances..

Madmountainman said:
Although the Anakees perform exceptionally well, it comes at the cost of wear rate. I'm currently 2k on my rear and it's half worn. I get 6-7k out of a Tourance.

And so I am now positively, certainly glad I bought the Tourances yesterday. In all I shelled out £174 to Messrs Watling of Catford for the job, hand over the bike and come back 30 minutes later to pay and ride off.

I did notice that for the first couple of bends/roundabouts a disconcerting dive* in the direction of lean..... but by the time I got home (50 miles) I was used to it...

Paul

* I think this is called "falling into the corner"?

Back
Top Bottom