DR650..... who, what, where, when and why?

Wizard

Reaction score
I have a chance at a very low mileage, very clean 1995 DR650 to tide me over until the GS is sorted/scrapped.

Anyone got any opinions, experiences or advice (about the bike) that they'd care to share?

TIA

:beer:

Buy it :thumb

Good bike....it's neither big dual sport nor pogo mudhopper but it'll do both...good choice for a RTW trip and I doubt you'll sell it once you've got Ginger October back :thumb

I took a DR600 to over 60,000 miles, very similar to the 650.

Reliable, can drink oil @ higher RPM's, check the splines on the gearbox output shaft for wear as the splines can wear away to nothing. Replacement requires a complete stripdown. Ignition pick-up & stator's can fail.

Wizard said:
I have a chance at a very low mileage, very clean 1995 DR650 to tide me over until the GS is sorted/scrapped.

Anyone got any opinions, experiences or advice (about the bike) that they'd care to share?

TIA

:beer:

I've got a mint DR650 SE, well it was mint before I bought it :eek:

Mines a few years newer.* Make sure you get the electric start model*

Front brake is weak.
Suspension is too soft on the front if you really push it off road, but good fun on tarmac.
Mine has a Dynojet, K&N and exhaust opened up, with road gearing it's pretty quick but 1st is too tall for off roading so I've changed the overall gearing.
I have MT 21 tyres now but a road bias tyre would be more suitable for you after your TKC experience :(
It's cheap to run, unbreakable clutch etc an underrated bike, much better as a 'GS' than a GS650 is, so if it's got an electric boot it could be a good option.

Collect it on Saturday :D

1996, 4800 miles, virtually spotless body, engine, rims and forks, wee bit of surface rust on a couple of bits of the frame that'll scrub off. Well happy :thumb

Now, where can I get an Acerbis tank? ;)

If the tank is one of the small ones, try fitting the 20 litre tank from an older DR600.

Good find for the DR parts. I could only get and alloy rear sprocket before.

When I first got mine I didn't bother riding the GS for a month. Great bikes and with all those upgrades mmm stiff springs, front brake, big tank ;)

Possu said:
If the tank is one of the small ones, try fitting the 20 litre tank from an older DR600.

Straight swap, or do you need any other bits like the seat etc.?

Nice one wizard 2 of my mates have them a 600 and a 650 they seem pretty indestructible :thumb
73402324-L.jpg

Wasn't there something about leaking gaskets, fixed on the 2002+ model?

snoopy said:
Wasn't there something about leaking gaskets, fixed on the 2002+ model?

Since mine's fecking ancient, I don't care :D

Aparently it's the earlier models that can suffer from weeping gaskets, but it's not a major problem and if needs be can be sorted with a new copper gasket. Guess who did no work at all today ;)

Last time I saw mine it had been supermoto'd and was a right rust-bucket.

Here she is still loved and cared for:

Attachments

• May15~01a.jpg
    May15~01a.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 136
ChrisKelley said:
Last time I saw mine it had been supermoto'd and was a right rust-bucket.

Here she is still loved and cared for:

Ah-ha, the slower white version :D

Mine's pretty tidy for a 10 year old bike, but it'll get tidyiererer when I have a chance to clean it to death and do some touching-up :confused: :thumb

Back
Top Bottom