Textile clothing for fat b@stards

haydw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recommendations for fabric clothing I know has been done to death, but can anyone recommend a decent set of waterproof pants and jacket for someone who is a larger than average size around the middle? I am not absolutely huge, but am around 5'10 and 18 stone.

Spent an hour in Hein Gericke in Manchester trying everything under the sun- jackets are not too bad- best of the bunch was the urban messenger. Tuaregs didnt fit right and they didnt have a Cruise jacket in stock, plus I thought they were a bit big for summer use. Looking for something I can use all year round with a bit of ventilation.

As for pants- absolutely nothing fitted at all- not even the giant sizes. The Cruise pants fitted OK ish, but were miles too long in the leg. Currently got Wolf goretex pants and an Aprillia Goretex jacket- they now leak more water than a collander.

There is a Dainese shop in Manchester- know their kit is highly recommended, but do they do fat sizes?

Oh, and if anyone knows of stockists in the north west, can they let me know?

5'9" ish 19 stone 38" waist thats me

Hein G Master IV jacket, superb in everything but the hottest weather
Dainese gortex trousers, as above

Not the cheapest combo but fits me and does exactly what it says on the tin :thumb

HTH

I'm a fat bastard and I love my Aerostich Roadcrafter...ok, it's not a two piece (although they do make them...called a 'Darien') but mine is way more convenient than a two piece....waterproof, lotsa pocketses precious, and totally practical.

At 6'4" and 19 stone, it fits well and with the Merican exchange rate being so good, it's feking good value as well.

Do a search on them here :thumb

Aerostitch do a made to measure service. Absoloutely top kit, but gets a bit pricey when you add import duties, tax and postage.

HTH

David

* Edit - Didn't think about the exchange rates, may not be as bad as I thought. Well worth a look, though. Fortunately at 6'3" and 15 stone I fit their 46L perfectly!

Fanum said:
PS MrIfan if you've got a 38" waist I'm Mary Poppins :dabone

No 38" sounds right, higher up may be differant :D

Attachments

• ScreenShot028.jpg
    ScreenShot028.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 202
You can forget Dainese if the HG stuff doesn't fit. I had the same trouble with my well upholstered but still athletic shape :eek: ;)

BWM do some good kit for the larger man though :thumb

Wulfsports make a cordura touring suit. They are based in Whitehaven
http://www.wulfsport.info/contactus.html size up to XXXL. I'm 15 stone and only 5'8", an XL fits me so they should accommodate a fuller figure.

I have a pair of the Alpina trousers which have been excellent for the £75 price. I bought them in 2001 when I got the GS. They started leaking last year, at the crotch. I still use them in preference to their Swift replacement unless it is teeming down: they are more comfortable and slide less in the saddle.

Why not lose some weight? I'm not trying to be personal :)
Xmas, 2 years ago I weighed in at 21 stone ( I'm 5' 10'' ) :eek:
Been around 13 1/2 stone for the last 6 months: best days work I ever did was deciding to sort myself out ;)

Rukka do a good range of sizes, i think they still offer a made to measure service, but i'm not sure

Shep

Devon said:
Why not lose some weight? I'm not trying to be personal :)
Xmas, 2 years ago I weighed in at 21 stone ( I'm 5' 10'' ) :eek:
Been around 13 1/2 stone for the last 6 months: best days work I ever did was deciding to sort myself out ;)

Any chance of posting your diet sheet - a few of us could do with it! :D

Or grow another 3 ft and become the ideal height for your weight ;)

Lord Snooty said:
Any chance of posting your diet sheet - a few of us could do with it! :D

Lord snooty, I've always been a big bloke. 14 stone when I left school at 16. Always enjoyed going to the gym and my job in construction meant heavy physical work. At 30 I think I was around 16 stone but more brick shit-house than pudding build ;)

Met wifey, had family, put on 1/2 stone-ish a year: ended up 21 stone :eek:

As I was getting older I found I just wasn't carrying the weight as well, and then with 2 young kids I just wasn't able to do the stuff I wanted with them :(

2 xmas ago I looked at the family xmas photos and realized It was time to sort myself out :rob

My Secret: I just stopped eating and drinking so much :) I don't want to come across as taking the P#ss: but a healthy sandwich at 10am and 1pm, don't eat loads of fish and chips or big fried breakfasts. Smaller portions at meals. When I go on the piss now (which is still regularly :) ) it's 3 or 4 pints and 3 or 4 whiskys or a couple of glasses of red: not 12 pints :rolleyes: like I used to.

It was fecking hell for the first 2 month: I felt starving all the time :eek: But losing the weight was great, From 44" waist to 34"" in 2 years. Still use the gym twice a week for an hour, lost some of my strength but not as much as I thought.

Please don't think I'm trying to tell people how to live their lives: I'm not. I just saying that, with determination, it's possible not to carry a lot of weight :)

I am also aware how easy it is to pile the weght back on so Whilst I still enjoy good grub I keep an eye on the scales ;)

BMW do 'fat bastard' sizes for some jackets, which gives adequate girth around the beer pouch without having overlong arms. Trouser sizing is pants (sic) always seem to end up with the knee protectors in me boots.

Best solution for me was to get a pair of trews cheap in the SPC sale, and get Hideout leather to alter them to fit me, they can do this for leather and textiles, but only the textiles which have a seperate waterproof layer. So they can't do the high end Rukka and BMW stuff that has the waterproof outer layer.

Back
Top Bottom