quest 1 vs Quest 2 and coverage in Spain?

new gser

:nenau Anybody got any comments on the quest 1 Quest 2 argument and what GPS coverage these systems give in Spain
Cheers

new gser said:
:nenau Anybody got any comments on the quest 1 Quest 2 argument and what GPS coverage these systems give in Spain
Cheers

Quest 1 seems to be more reliable. Quest 2 can hold a larger area of maps.

Both have coverage over the whole of Spain :thumb

I've had both, and going from personal experience I would go for the Quest 1. Unless you can be sure you're not going to go anywhere near a tall building or tree and you can hang around long enough for the Quest 2 to carry out its incredibly slow redraw rates.

Quest 1 for Prime Minister :)

Twotter said:
I've had both, and going from personal experience I would go for the Quest 1. Unless you can be sure you're not going to go anywhere near a tall building or tree and you can hang around long enough for the Quest 2 to carry out its incredibly slow redraw rates.

Quest 1 for Prime Minister :)
Is this regardless of Spanish coverage? Aren't there some additional features on the Quest 2 that make it worth having over the Quest 1? Asking from the point of view that I have just sold a Navigator II as I'm tempted by the flexibility that the Quest offers. I just took it for granted that the Quest 2 was the way to go.

I was under the impression that v8 has detailed maping only of limited areas in Spain and that for the rest of the country you just have the basic 'base map' - is that not the case then?

Andres

My experience of V8 in Spain has been excellent. V7 was (almost) a waste of time unless you were in Madrid / Barc etc. V8 has complete coverage in the 3 towns / villages I was in and around this year, where V7 had "a road in and a road out" coverage.

Don't "think" Spain has full coverage yet, but my experience was great.

Mark

Gog yn y De said:
Is this regardless of Spanish coverage? Aren't there some additional features on the Quest 2 that make it worth having over the Quest 1? Asking from the point of view that I have just sold a Navigator II as I'm tempted by the flexibility that the Quest offers. I just took it for granted that the Quest 2 was the way to go.

On paper the Quest 2 is a better GPS than a Quest 1. My experience with loss of satellite lock and the miserably slow redraw rates tells me that the Quest 2 cannot cope as well as its predeccessor. Although the vendor wouldn't take back the unit, after contacting Garmin I had no problems in first exchanging for a replacement unit, and finally exchanging for a 2610.

For coverage I'd suggest buying CN8 for the Quest 1 (if it doesn't come with it). You'll get the benefits of the later mapping with the reliability of the Quest 1.

Sorted :thumb

Quest 2 in Mallorca...

Twotter said:
Agree...
Quest 2 is..... slowwwwww. :sleep :sleep :sleep

Re: Spain...
Even tho' the coverage is apparently more basic for Spain as a whole, Mallorca and Palma were fine. I used a Quest 2 there last month for a week and the detail and mapping appeared just the same as for UK. More remote spots on the mainland could be main roads only though?? :nenau

I just had a quick look at Mapsource v8 on my work PC, to see if it has mapping of Madeira (which is Portuguese). For Madeira it only has a base map, but for Gran Canaria it has full street level mapping :thumb . Not that you're likely to ride over there, but I would guess that the rest of Spain must be pretty well covered.

TC

Thanks for all the help and advice. Bit worried about the comments around the Quest2, but feel the memory and postcode functionality swings it. Gonna give it a try!

Cheers

Good luck fella :)

I'm just down the road from you so you can compare redraw rates with my 2610 if you like :eek:

Back
Top Bottom