garmin maps vs tomtom maps?

jez

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just come back from 10 days in the Czech Republic where I stayed initally with my sister and her family then a few days on my own. I took my 2610 with me so I could find my way around (having loaded local maps) and they had a pda with tomtom 5 software. What I want to know is why are garmin so pi** poor with their map coverage in Czech ie; the world ends just outside of prague, leaving me using paper maps. Yet the tomtom even had the little lane going down to the cottage we were staying in.
Any ideas?
ps I'm running v8 city navigator

Don't know about there but I can say that between CS7 & CN8 my little village in sunny Fenland has now got a Post Office from a different village and another pub has sprung up even though it closed over ten years ago.

:nenau

Hi jez
The lack of map coverage is not Garmin's fault, they do not produce the maps. The maps that Garmin use are made by Navteq, the maps TomTom use are TeleAtlas.
The two mapping companies are at different levels of coverage. For example Garmin with Navteq mapping has MUCH better coverage of Ireland than TomTom with TeleAtlas.
I guess when buying a GPSR one has to take into account the map coverage in the areas that are travelled in most often.
Each manufacturer's web site has map coverage details.
Garmin units come with UK & Europe maps where as with TomTom they come with UK & Europe cost extra.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Icarus

Back
Top Bottom