DESPERATE TO DO MOROCCO

plodder

Last month (july) myself on r1200gs and two friends, (Hyabussa & Honda SP2)completed our 5th successive year, doing a 10 -14 day continental trips. not wanting to complain because weve had 5 fantastic times, alps , pyreneese, all spain , italy , monte carlo , germany and not wanting to bore you ,many more . However , every year we suggest next years trip and every year i say its got to be Morocco but the pair of them always say the same thing , they aint got the right bikes , the roads are terrible , unsurfaced, and very bumpy . having never spoke face to face with anyone who as done morocco this site is my only hope , are the roads out there that bad ? can the two bikes in question complete the journey (in one piece ) :nenau

Desparate to Do Morocco

There are many others with much more experience of Morocco than me but when I went earlier this year (March/April) about the only other bikes I saw were a group from germany, all riding sports bikes of some kind. I would say that while perhaps not the ideal bikes they could do Morocco. The roads by and large are perfectly OK, apart from the occasional hole or degraded bit, so care is needed, but the main roads between the larger towns are certainly fine and so are most of the tarmac roads through the mountains. Unless you want to fry I'd suggest doing it in either April or October. When I was there in early April the temp was already up in the 30s

Mike

Having done Morocco three times I would say that the vast majority of roads are absolurely fine for a sport bike, the Moroccans are doing building roads at a fast rate at the moment so you can get to alot of the southern towns very easily and see just about eveything. I would recommend it....If you want to talk about itineries etc that pm more and I will help where I can.

Jim

cheers mike and jim .

Thats great news , it will give me great pleasure in showing my mates these replies . surley theres no excuse now .

Thanks again Plodder

I was out on 280 mile jaunt around Wales yesterday with a bunch of GSers and one guy with an R1. They were all friends of a friend who met last year on a BMW tour of Morocco and yes the guy with the R1 did the trip also...so it can be done.

Saw a group of spanish Harleys when we were there in April :thumb

Lord Snooty said:
I was out on 280 mile jaunt around Wales yesterday with a bunch of GSers and one guy with an R1. They were all friends of a friend who met last year on a BMW tour of Morocco and yes the guy with the R1 did the trip also...so it can be done.

I did that Morocco tour last October - absolutely excellent.

If anyone wants to read my write-up, go to

http://www.g4wtv.co.uk/maroc2006.

For more pictures Click Here

Met you in Wales on Saturday, too LS. I was the guy with the yellow GS at Bala.

Spanish Harlems??

I agree with the above, if you want to stay on tar then it's easy enough to do.

In that case, the worst roads you might come across are those crossing the Atlas mountains - when it rains (I was there in winter and it absolutely Pi**ed), a lot of mud can get washed across them and you'd want to be a bit careful on a race rep.

They can definitely do it, though.

Paul G

Plodder......click the linky picture at the bottom of my post.....it might be of interest to you ;)

Bill

I first did Morocco in 1972 on a TriBSA 750 café racer with clip ons, rear sets and close-ratio RRT2 gearbox. Once you get through the north of the country the roads are beautiful.

Been back many times since, by car, plane and bike.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
I first did Morocco in 1972 on a TriBSA 750 café racer with clip ons, rear sets and close-ratio RRT2 gearbox. .

Tim

Tim, did Triumph do a breakdown service , along the lines of "Triumph assist" :D

Respect :thumb

My Son and I met 3 German's in April,one on a R1 one on a Fazer 1000,and one on a old K1..the best bit was the were off road in Zagora :eek:

If you stick to the Tarmac roads its OK,But watch out for sand which does drift across the road..I found the GS Adv to heavy to do what I wanted,and it was still a hand full when finding 2 inch off sand across the tarmac :mmmm

Just go and try it,Its a experience not to be missed.

We are off back,on 2 small bikes next time,to do more off road...cant wait. :bow

Back
Top Bottom