exhaust valves

bryan

a question for the high mileage guys and gals,
how many miles have you done on the original exhaust valves?
or!!!
how many miles when they failed?
ta

just changed mine (& guides) at an indicated 61,000Km. inlets too.

seemed well early to me but the valve guides were worn causing the valve heads to rattle when they would not hit the seats square.

i'm told that this is the pre valve fail warning. anyhow, rattle is now gone.

.....along with 250 odd squid :rolleyes:

Yep mine also on it's way out and about 64000 miles on the clock. Due to change them soon as this is one of the main causes of cold starting problems.

:gringo

170000 Km plus

but now at the end of their life, very thin mushroom left. I will do the heads later this year hopefully.
Miky

Hmm you lot depress me. I start to think what could possibly go wrong in the next few thousand miles and then you guys piss on my fire! 59,000kms and so lets wait and see. Actually I dont think mine are too bad. RHS worse the LHS (but that always seems to be the case?).

Oh well I shall wait until the time comes. Cookie is this something you should try at home or better to go to a professional? I ask as I have never done this myself.

easy enough to take the heads off & strip bare (the heads :rolleyes: ) reassemble etc.

hard bit is finding someone who won't beat the guides out cold with a club hammer then cut the valve seats with his grannies pummice stone fixed in his black & decker.

for my own bikes & anyone else i can persuade that cheap is rarely best, i'd recommend: the cylinderhead shop this goes double if you're replacing valve seats.

not cheap, not terribly quick and definitely not local, but that's who i go to now.

Spanish Bob said:
Hmm you lot depress me. I start to think what could possibly go wrong in the next few thousand miles and then you guys piss on my fire! 59,000kms and so lets wait and see. Actually I dont think mine are too bad. RHS worse the LHS (but that always seems to be the case?).

Oh well I shall wait until the time comes. Cookie is this something you should try at home or better to go to a professional? I ask as I have never done this myself.

Bob,

On the other half of the glass you talking Km's we talking miles. So on 59000 km's you still have a good 40 000 km's to cover before seriously thinking about all the things that then will defintely need replacement. :D

Cheers

good point maverick, your a smart man.....

thanks for the info cookie.

bob, perhaps we could check out each others rattles at your proposed airheads meetup :p

how many miles have you done on the original exhaust valves?

113.000 Km on the original valves, bit a rattle from time to time, but can still be cured by adjusting the valves.

Just replaced the distibution chain and hoping everything else will hold till next winter........(just did 1100 Km into Germany over the weekend without problems)

Kenny said:
I'm panicking now...I've got a whacking....20,004 miles on her !!!

Do I get a certificate or something?

Yours expectantly, Kenny

Yeah Kenny think your baby is ready for it's 1st minor service, engine should be run in now!:D Change of spark plug fill up with oil and off you go........

Back
Top Bottom