Downloading tracks from a GPS

AndyT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just returned from a trip through Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland and was hoping to download my tracks from the whole journey to help me make a website of the trip.
When I downloaded the tracks I only got the last section that the GPS was switched on (IE from the Ferry terminal in Scotland to my home). I am certain that I should be able to retrieve them all but how can one do this??? HAve I lost them all??

BY the way my GPS is a Streetpilot colourmap.

many thanks in anticipation.

regards

AndyT:(

I think that you will find that the track log has very limited capacity and when it runs out of space overwrites the oldest data.
I believe that SP III has a much larger capacity for storing tracks.

Rod

lost tracks

Andy: Once the track memory is full it starts deleting from the beginning of the journey, so only the recent part of the journey is saved. the only way is to save the track at intervals before the memory is full, but to do this you need to download into a computer or some other storage device every time.

John

I don't know what the track storage limit is on the Streetpilot 3, but at a guess after Mondays run in the Dales I would say somewhere around 200-250 miles

I think it's more than that, probably nearer 400 miles, maybe even 500. Depends on the settings and how often the unit drops a 'breadcrumb' on the trail.

The way to overcome losing the track is to save it as a log at the end of each day or 4-500 miles whichever comes first. You can save up to 10 logs, possibly more - this is off the top of my head and based on my GPS V.

Bit of a bummer to return from a trip to find all this out :(

HTH

Adam

Back
Top Bottom