Bike to Bike

gazza

Reaction score
I know there are other threads along this line but being new to bike to bike comms I just wondered how many are now on the air so to speak. I have a Autocom Eurocom and a Kenwood 3101. Anyone else use this setup and have any problems ?

gazza said:
I know there are other threads along this line but being new to bike to bike comms I just wondered how many are now on the air so to speak. I have a Autocom Eurocom and a Kenwood 3101. Anyone else use this setup and have any problems ?
I use an Icom with a ProM1 and I've had good results, except when trying to converse with the Squadron Leader but we think that we have narrowed the problem down to an incompatible lead on his system.

I will have mine with me for Belgium on the basis you Kenwood is also a PMR446 type radio we should be able to chew the cud nay bother lad :thumb

Communication with any other rider with a Kenwood is very very simple. You just both select the same pre-programmed channel frequency (numbered 1-13).

I met up with Greg Masters at the Ace some time ago and we were heading back to his house. He has his set-up permanently hard-wired to his bike. He had his daughter riding pillion. Lisa and I have portable bike-to-bike Autocom systems using Kenwoods. We all switched to Channel 1 and had 4-way conversation - Greg and daughter using VOX, Lisa and I using PTT. No problems whatsover.

If you're communicating with any other bike using non-Kenwood radios, as long as they are PRM466, you just need to insure you're on the same frequency. In some cases it can take a bit of fiddling finding one that you can all use. Obviously, a mix of Kenwoods, Icoms, and one or two other brands multiplies the complexity of getting it sorted from the off.

From experience, I've found that having more than about 4 or 5 of you on air can be too many - but it's great for two or three of you out on a ride.

Works Well

Thanks for that Simon, really impressed with the Kenwood it appears to have a good range ( dependent upon conditions ) and makes for good conversation with my brother while out riding. He is fairly new to biking and I think it gives him a lot of confidence when on the road. Makes fuel and coffee stops a lot easier than bikers semaphore. Anyone thinking about bike to bike comms I can really recommend it.

You should take a close look at the Alinco PMR446. Similar quality but with a number of pluses:

• You can get one for around £130
    Digital display which makes for easier channel programing with all PMRs among other things
    Easy mod to up the power to 5W and install a BNC for greater transmission distances
    More functions
    NiMH battery superior and with more power
    Power socket permits 7-13.8v operation/charging
    Smaller whip

There are only a couple of Kenwood advantages

• DCS (digital squelch channels for clearer comms with other DCS units only) If you haven't used channels 13-15 on an un modified Kenwood to Kenwood you won't know the difference, and the transmission range is so low with the 446 that it normally isn't an advantage (except in heavily congested bandwith)
    Louder RX - there is a better speaker in this unit than most radios.

I sometimes use Nady MRC11 between my son’s & myself when we go out for a ride, the intercom between rider & passenger is ok up to 50MPH anything over that and forget it.
The bike to bike is only good for about half a mile range around town, but up on Beachy Head we could hear a taxi firm based in Eastbourne. They advatise it as having a 2 mile range.
The VOX system is a waste of time because at 40MPH it cuts in and out all the time, and all you can hear is the wind noise from the other rider. (it drives you nuts after a short time)
push to talk is better but I wouldn’t recommend this system to anyone.

Kenwood

Zycom in Ripley Derbyshire are now selling the Kenwood TK3101 with a spare battery for £170. Autocom are asking £199 just for the handset. Comes with charger 100 - 240 volts, but one of the main advantages I feel is usefull, is that you can junk the mains side of the charger and wire up to a standard BMW plug and charge from the bike. If you have the Pro 7 autocom unit ( think thats what it's called ) you can also junk the battery and power the handset from the autocom unit.
However, they also sell the Funkey which does most of the above for around £70 but the handset is not so sturdy. I live around 3 miles from Notts city centre and can very clearly listen to the security chaps talking at our Ice Stadium, so the range seems ok. Hope this helps Rob.

Thanks guys! Personally I would only buy the decent kit, but what about the cheaper PMR446 radio's? Maplin do them for as little as £45 and claim to have upto 4K range. Has anybody tried these? I had been toying with the idea of buying one and building it into my bike.

Back
Top Bottom