Poland for the first time.

grumpy git

Hi All, I will be travelling ( alone - bad ) to Poland the first 2 weeks in Sept.Any advice on bike docs.etc GS1150 & how to convert headlight to dip to the right would be appreciated. I will be using Stena Line ? Thanks.

Was passing through Poland in May. They just had a quick glance at the passport and waved me through. Would still take your bike docks, logbook V5 (or whatever it's called these days) and insurance cert, make sure it covers you for Poland just give the company a quick call to confirm full cover, and also your mot if needed. But I boubt you will be asked for them. I was stopped and asked to show them when crossing from Poland to Lithuania. I gave them the copies I was carrying, the guard just asked which was the bike number (reg No) then asked for the originals as he put them under a lamp like they do with dodgy money over here and spotted they were copies. Once that was done just said ok and waved me through. No problems at all, Have been stopped longer at the Dover passport control ;)

Copied from my list for the Polish trip last May.

Passport - Check still Valid !
Original Driving Licence
Travel Tickets / Ref. No's.
Original Bike Insurance
Original Logbook
Original M.O.T. if needed.
Tax Disc
Form E111 / Card. NEW ONE FOR 2006
Travel Insurance Paperwork
AA Breakdown Insurance Docs & Numbers
Paper Maps
GB sticker.

When I came off the ferry in Gdynia, they wanted to see my passport, the original log book and my insurance certificate. Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the light, unless you plan on riding at night. Don't forget to make 2 copies of all documents - you keep 1 copy in an envelope in your panniers, and leave the 2nd copy in an envelope at home. Riding alone, is far from "bad" in my experience as you can do what you want, when you want. I only had a week in Poland, and it was definately, the best trip I've been on so far, although a week wasn't enough. I'm dead envious.

I found Polish people very friendly (some on here didn't) but its mostly common sense. An useful tip though: when you need a favour remove your helmet (some people find them intimidating) and smile a lot. It worked for me. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom