Where is the cheapest Quest motorcycle mount?

wa0990

Hi all,
Just got a deal on a new quest 1 ver 8 on ebay (£200 inc postage) (It had better turn up!!). Does anywhere know the cheapest place to get a motorcycle mount for it? Got the RAM bits already, after one with power and audio cables.

The cheapest so far is Maplins at £49.99 (delivered), but i'm a bit tight and want a cheaper one!

Also any tips for the quest?

I got mine from Maplins too

I got mine from Maplins too, never did manage to find any bargains on the mount itself, although the as you discovered, Quest units can be found.

There are quite a few people who don't like the Garmin mount.. apparently the terminals are prone to corroding (inside the mount, not on the outside). Mine has only been on the bike for 6 months so no problems yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

As far as the Q1 itself goes, I've had mine for about 18 months and it suits me fine. I've found the best way to use it is to do all the routing in Mapsource and download, not type stuff into the Quest directly (that's where the lack of a touch-screen shows up). I tend to pre-plan my routes and download, then use the Quest with the auto-recalculate turned off. When travelling abroad I usually do a route for each day and also save 2 copies of each route into the unit. The reason I do that is that I don't usually use the default calculated route , but tend to customise the route after the system calculates it. (First time i did that, I did one copy of each day, played around with one of the routes while I was away and cocked it up.. no pc to download it again and I was knackered.. doh!). I've never managed to get any decent volume with my Autocom (I wear earplugs) which is a bit of a pain, but on all my trips it has still got me right to the door of every location bar one (in France, it told me I was 'there' at one hotel, when I was still half a mile away) and on another ocassion started trying to send me the wrong way around roundabouts. Overall though, I'm dead impressed and wouldn't be without it (don't think many Q2 users are saying that though, I'm glad I got the older version)

That was cheap, I've a Quest 1 as well, I'm very pleased with it. The only
problem is the Irish maps are incomplete. I've got the RAM mount and the
rest is home made. The RAM stuff seems to be very robust, the garmin parts
do look a bit flimsy. :mmmm

ST4S said:
I got mine from Maplins too, never did manage to find any bargains on the mount itself, although the as you discovered, Quest units can be found.

There are quite a few people who don't like the Garmin mount.. apparently the terminals are prone to corroding (inside the mount, not on the outside). Mine has only been on the bike for 6 months so no problems yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

As far as the Q1 itself goes, I've had mine for about 18 months and it suits me fine. I've found the best way to use it is to do all the routing in Mapsource and download, not type stuff into the Quest directly (that's where the lack of a touch-screen shows up). I tend to pre-plan my routes and download, then use the Quest with the auto-recalculate turned off. When travelling abroad I usually do a route for each day and also save 2 copies of each route into the unit. The reason I do that is that I don't usually use the default calculated route , but tend to customise the route after the system calculates it. (First time i did that, I did one copy of each day, played around with one of the routes while I was away and cocked it up.. no pc to download it again and I was knackered.. doh!). I've never managed to get any decent volume with my Autocom (I wear earplugs) which is a bit of a pain, but on all my trips it has still got me right to the door of every location bar one (in France, it told me I was 'there' at one hotel, when I was still half a mile away) and on another ocassion started trying to send me the wrong way around roundabouts. Overall though, I'm dead impressed and wouldn't be without it (don't think many Q2 users are saying that though, I'm glad I got the older version)

ST4S said:

I had this happen with my first Quest. The answer was to pull the inline fuse when I wasn't using the GPS.

not so fast

Just shove it in the unpowered RAM cradle to start with. The charge will outlast any day's riding you might think you're capable of. the charger doesn't take up much space in your bag and once you've cycled it a few times, the charge lasts even longer.

Try it in the car first, you might not enjoy Betty honking through your headset every few seconds. If you mount it towards the end of your handlebars the other half riding pillion can see it and will enjoy giving you more than enough warning!

I agree, I got the Garmin powered mount with mine. I've never wired it in or used it powered on the bike. The charge lasts more than long enough for a days riding and is easy to use without the voice prompts.

I also load up my intended routes from the PC, means I go on all the A and B roads and try as best as I can to avoid motorways.

Best lesson I learned was not to put via points in the centre of a town, but now I place them on the outskirts, this means when we set off again after a stop ( I did 2 tours of Tobermory town!!) you pick up your route straight away and don't try to get back to the via point all the time!

Great piece of kit, either in car on or the bike.

Thanks guys, this gave me a bit more to think about. Your (all) right about the battery life, i'm assuming that I can just change to spare batteries if away from a plug for a few days, so a bog standard mount like the one from RAM should be good, it was really sound I was after (although I take the point about the constant (wife like) jabbering in my ear!), as I don't like the idea of looking down in busy and unfamiliar city centre's, but I notice that RAM has that covered too, so sorted, and for about £25, excellent!

Thanks again :thumb

You can't change the batteries on the Quest models. It has a rechargable battery built in to the unit.
I have a Quest 2 with the Garmin mount and find that very good. :rob

wa0990 said:
Thanks guys, this gave me a bit more to think about. Your (all) right about the battery life, i'm assuming that I can just change to spare batteries if away from a plug for a few days, so a bog standard mount like the one from RAM should be good, it was really sound I was after (although I take the point about the constant (wife like) jabbering in my ear!), as I don't like the idea of looking down in busy and unfamiliar city centre's, but I notice that RAM has that covered too, so sorted, and for about £25, excellent!

Thanks again :thumb

Having let others reply and knowing your thoughts, you can use the gps in battery mode (internal Li-on cell) and I would suggest a RAM metal mount and cradle set up. QPAC will power up but we did make an audio only cable option such as ACQ-35 which attaches to the GA15 cradle to act as thru port for audio (mono) then maybe to maplins for their black 'teabag' speaker device for inside the helmet.

Be aware that Garmin say the batteries last 20 hours. They do but only if you do not use the backlight. Personally I needed the backlight on all the time and this reduced battery life down to about 5 hours.

Hardwire to the battery. Easy to do and ensures that little screen never goes blank when you don't want it to.

DAMHIKIJKOK ;)

The latest Quest package with full v8 DVD has a mount that can fit on a motorcycle. It has a lip over the top and both sides - I've mounted on mine.

Please note this is not the same as the previous Quest package that comes with V6 + upgrade. If you use the mount that comes with this, well, read my Moroccan tour...

Mmmm. more to think about I guess. Thanks for the info about the quest coming with a mount Snoopy, (I hope they replaced the mount as well as the quest!) the advert on ebay said it was new v8 so I hope it does, but if not then i think RAM Man is the way to go. The metal bracket you mention RAM Man, is it part number RAM-HOL-GA15? and does the QPAC come with a 3.5mm audio jack or just a 2.5? Got speakers in helmet already.
Thanks again guys.

In the US. I bouht one inc postage for what turned out to be £29.80 from a bloke that sells on EBAY and from his ebay shop. Arrived in 5 days. All I wanted was the wire really as mine was f*cked and the sound was dead.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't buy the Garmin mount. I know four people (me included) who have used the Garmin mount and every one of them has failed due to corrosion on the inside terminals. Trouble is, the Touratech one is about £70 and you need a different cable which is approx another £40. About £100 for the Touratech mount and lead :confused: :nono

laughing gas said:
Whatever you do, I wouldn't buy the Garmin mount. I know four people (me included) who have used the Garmin mount and every one of them has failed due to corrosion on the inside terminals. Trouble is, the Touratech one is about £70 and you need a different cable which is approx another £40. About £100 for the Touratech mount and lead :confused: :nono

I totally agree, if you use the Garmin mount in anything other that dry weather it will corrode and fail. I've just replaced mine with the RAM setup which is 10 times better.

Dave

UPDATE: Got the quest yesteday, very quick delivery. New as stated but with maps of Spain and portugal preloaded! Oh well, it does come with V8 City Navigator Maps of Europe so thats easily sorted.
No bike mount with the package so I think RAM is my next buy. Thanks for all the advice guys, just got to play with it now.

Back
Top Bottom