Windows XP restore

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
More computer confusion!

Having never really got my old win98 PC back in 100% reliability.... have upgraded to a new machine running Win xp

First question... where is Backup and Restore.... I can't find it, or in fact in mention of it in Windows help or on the M'soft website.. surely I can backup my data?

Secondly I want to restore all my old MS office data that was backed up from win 98... surely it's possible to do that...

Any clues or pointers MUCH appreciated

Will

The backup tool is located in:

Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup
(or do Start | Run | "ntbackup" <enter>)

Windows backup tools from Windows NT onwards have all been downwardly compatible; not sure about Win98 though...

There is also a "System Restore" tool in the same folder which is very usefull for rolling back your system to a restore point you create in the event of installing some bad drivers or similar.

Mike

SilverFish said:
The backup tool is located in:

Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup
(or do Start | Run | "ntbackup" <enter>)

I reckon that's only in XP Professional. It's not in my XP Home setup.

On XP Home..........

Click on 'Start'.......then 'Help and Support'....then 'System Restore'.

It will then take you through the proceedure to go back to an earlier point of your choice.

CC

xp restore

it's not on my xp home version either....

and system restore is not what I want.... I want to restore just my files and directories (data not programmes) backed up from my other (now dead) PC

Does that mean the only option is to upgrade to xp pro?

Bit rich not putting a backup utility on xp home... bl**dy microsoft!

F'ing XP

XP will create a checkpoint whenever you add a new driver or items like that. You can yourself create a checkpoint and this is done from the help screen accessed from the start menu:

"Start" - "Help & Support".

You can restore back to a previos checkpoint. You also need to set the amount of disk space set aside for checkpoint. This is done from System in Control Panel.

Beware:

a. There are only a limited number of checkpoints and I do not know how to archive off

b. You may lose set up data against applications if you restore. Be prepared for some inconsistencies.

I am now becoming fairly used to this process having just had to rebuild two machines from rescue disks. It took 6 hours to get the main machine rebuilt because of additional peripherals, obtaining updates, new drivers etc.

Good luck....

i think "backup" is not installed in XP by default. i believe you can install it later from the disc.

had a look round google but can't find anything relevant.

have a look at the "files & system settings transfer wizard" in start>progs>accessories>system tools.

might well do some of the things you want.

Will,

just been having a scrawp about, and found that if required, Backup has to be installed manually from your XP Home CD.

Insert the CD Rom and navigate to \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file to start the wizard that installs Backup

When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

Cheers Matey

Thanks very much Scurrell, for that pointer... found it no prob!

Will

incompatibility!

Well, found and installed xp backup as pointed out my Scurrel (thanks mate) but just couldn't be that simple could it!? When I try and restore all my Word; Excel; Outlook files from my backup discs... (as backed up from my now expired win98 PC) I just get a message telling me that the file format is not recognised!

Bleedin' marvellous!

On the subject of backing up... of those of you that do, what system do you use? Do you use MS backup, or do you just copy all your files to a removeable disk...

Will

Sounds like you need to find someone with a Win 98 or earlier setup, and get them to restore the files for you, and then copy them to a CD.

If you can't find anyone else I'll do it for you. Send me a PM if I can help.

As to backing up, I just copy files to a CD-RW.

I heard Microsoft made a car some time ago, it only cost £1000 new.:)
But as soon as you started the engine it had been replaced by a new model.:mad:
It would crash for no apparent reason, and in the middle of making right turns it would just stop. You then had to press the accelerator break & clutch at the same time then wait 10mins to worm up before putting it in gear.
One of the biggest problems was all the warning lights were replaces with an information screen.:shoot:
The other day it came up with “A critical error has occurred in WXZBN123965” I later found out the windscreen washer water was low.:beer:

OH if only BMW could make an operating system !
:D

oh well

Scurrel....
Think I've got an old win98 PC at work, so will attempt to do what you suggest on that one, but thanks very much for the offer to do it... very kind.

I do find it strange that there's no mention of the problem on the microsoft knowledge base... surely i'm not the only person that has a. used Msoft backup on win 98 and then b. upgraded to winxp?

On the subject of just copying your files onto a CD, don't you find it takes a lot of disks? I normally backup my Outlook *.pst files because they contain all my contacts, emails etc, and they are BIG files!

Do you just copy stuff over in windows explorer?

I appreciate your help matey

Re: oh well

willstatt said:
On the subject of just copying your files onto a CD, don't you find it takes a lot of disks? I normally backup my Outlook *.pst files because they contain all my contacts, emails etc, and they are BIG files!

Do you just copy stuff over in windows explorer?

Doesn't take too many disks, but then I don't have that much data these days. I just drag and drop them to a DirectCD formatted disk, so it's just like having a removeable drive.

Back
Top Bottom