Too Much Oil ?

Shugz

Hi folks,

If I leave my '02 1150 on the side-stand for more than about 30 mins, and then start it, I get a huge puff of stinking grey smoke coming out the exhaust. Runs fine after that.
Local BM shop says not to leave it on the side-stand too long, but how long is too long ?
Is it possible there is too much oil in her ?

ta,
Shugz.

:confused:

my experience of all boxers, old and new, is that 'they all do that', and they will do even if your engines NOT full up with oil.

to find out if you've got too much oil in, keep a very close eye on the site glass by setting the bike on the centre-stand and leaving it. there's tons of stuff on oil levels (and the general pain-in-arse checking thereof) around in this forum...

pr0ne

Roger

You beat me to it!

Having said that, I never get a puff of smoke when I start mine whether it be shortly after being run or two weeks later... that includes when it's been overfilled (by BM* at a service).

Not much help I know.

Adam

Roger

If left on the side stand for more than 10 mins the oil collects in the left hand ( downside ) pot and is burned off when the engine is started, it'll do no harm, just use a bit more oil, leave on the centre stand where possible then the oil drains into the sump.

My GS never puff's any smoke no matter how long it's been on it's side stand

Hi

On a similar vein, tend to run the Beast with oil level close to top of glass.

Check after each blast ( sorry I mean well mannered ride always within the speed limit Officer ) as per side stand / centre stand routine whilst engine still warm.

How is that the level always seems to drop overnight ?

Answers please on a postcard etc.

:confused: :( :confused: :( :confused:

i once checked mine - took the filler cap off then got chatting to my neighbour, when i returned to the job in hand i checked the level again - and it had halved!!

pr0ne

pr0ne said:
i once checked mine - took the filler cap off then got chatting to my neighbour, when i returned to the job in hand i checked the level again - and it had halved!!

pr0ne

...oil thieves...

My R1100R sometimes does the puff of smoke thing. As its a sidecar outfit, you can't really blame the sidestand (cos its in the loft with the wheels and forks)! I sometimes think its something like the position the oil pump stops at when you switch off. Blade over the hole, pressure stays high until it cools, puff of smoke. Oil free to flow back into the sump while hot, nothing. You can see some effect at the sight glass. Sometimes the oil is back in seconds, other times it takes a minute or so.

Seems to do no real harm as long as you have some oil. I can't detect any oil usage, so the puff must be less than a teaspoon full at a time.

Andy

You'll find that it's all down to letting the engine tickover for several seconds before switching off. Honest!

Try it & see.

Steve
-------------

too much oil ?

Yea, I found that letting the engine tick over for a few seconds before switching off makes a difference.

Thanks.

Shugz.

:beer:

so the puff must be less than a teaspoon full at a time.

Heard an interesting talk from a Castrol tecchie-guy some years ago who made the point that if the piston rings passed enough oil to cover a pin-head at each stroke, a) you wouldn't be able to see the road behind you for the smoke screen, and b) it would be consuming summat like 30 miles to a pint of oil!

Mine does it sometimes, especially if left on the sidestand when hot. Gotta be a microscopic quantity either going past the rings or valve guides.

Back
Top Bottom