Canoeing on the Wye - Sept 22-24 2006

(RIP) Gerry Huxtable

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sept 22 - 24 2006

The Boat Inn
Whitney-on-Wye
Hereford

B&B £30 double 01497 831394 at The Pound,nextdoor to pub.
Camping £5 No booking required
Breakfast £5 Book on arrival

Boat Hire - £35 for 2-3 adults

I require £10 deposit per person to confirm boat hire.

please send cheque payable to :-

Black Mountain Adventure

G. Huxtable
The Toll House
Whitney-on-Wye
Hereford HR3 6EW

Alternative Rideout for those who do not wish to get wet??

cheers

Gerry H.
01497 831669

Is that "boat" one of those Canadian type things with a big blue drum to keep your goodies in?
Had a great laugh on the Wye a couple of years ago when the father-in-law was given a piece of string prior to departure to tie on to his glasses and put around his neck....needless to say when we flipped over and the oars etc were floating off down stream he was wondering where his glasses were......found them hanging around his neck!

How soon do you need to know? I've always fancied doing this, but won't know if I can get time off work probably until a few days beforehand. :(

No Problem

Not a problem if camping.

The boats take 2 or 3 so you will fit in with someone.

cheers

Gerry

do you need to bring your own gear wet suit, flotation device etc was kayaking down that way at the begining of the year :thumb

Wet Suits

Everything can be hired from the canoe centre.

Usually just wear shorts and sandals.??

Its a leisurely paddle of 15 miles to the pub.

cheers

Gerry H.

Is it OK to bring your own canoe?

Without wishing to play "Old Grumpy" :rob canoeing in shorts and sandles in the UK is asking for a good dose of Hypothermia. Now that's a T-shirt I'd rather not have. :D :D :D

Bin there done it, superb. :thumb

Took 20 scouts down the wye in kayaks, in the pissing rain.

Had a great time.

Should be on your list of 100 things to do before you die.

Brrrrr

Unless it s a really bad weekend, the river is warm so I would suggest that for inclement weather (rain :D ) a pair of waterproof overtousers and top plus a thermal top and shorts should be fine, and yes sandals will be ok.merrill type or trainers. A fleece may be a good idea if its cool. :thumb
Good idea is a piece of carrymat or similar to rest your poor knees on when your running some of the enormous riffles on the river. Knees always take a bashing when kneeling in canoes, roofers knee pads work really well !!
We probably can't make saturday but will turn up saturday night for the social and paddle Sunday :beer: :beer:

Own Canoe

Dennis,

if you can get a canoe on your bike!!

By all means feel free to provide your own :D

cheers

Gerry

Just booked the last room at the Boat Inn :thumb
Gerry didn't want people staying there any way or he'd have put the correct number in his thread :rolleyes: It is : 01497 831223

Gerry,
What's the crack for the weekend. Are we paddling Saturday, Sunday or both? I probably won't come over till early Saturday, so what time is the "off" ? :rob

Canoe

Paddle Sat 23 Sept 06

Meet 10am at Black Mountain Activities Centre, Three Cocks,

on A438 opposite junction A4078 to Talgarth.

Dennis, Fred and Sue paddling on Sun if you want to join them I am running shuttle.

cheers

Gerry H.

Weather

Forecast for Sat is good.

Highs of 20c

Dry and sunny after lunch.

Could still be a cool start in the morning,dress accordingly.

I will bring water and Mars for everyone.

You can bring packed lunch or we could stop at Hay and walk up to the chipshop?

see you all Sat am.

cheers

Gerry H.

Sunday

Sorry, guys but I'm not going to be able to paddle Sunday.....work has gone a little nuts and so I've got to work unfortuanately. :(

How did it go?

I only saw this trip too late to get my backside organised, sounded like a lot of fun. How did it go.

I once paddles down the conwy, in canadian canoes, was a lot of fun..

Back
Top Bottom