Not a good start

Steve Hill

Reaction score
I have just been introduced to the GS experience by buying a '99 GS1100. The bike was apparently in good condition and fully checked out before purchase.
All was well for 150 miles and I was very pleased with all aspects and looking forward to many happy rides.
Unfortunatly for no apparent reason the bike spluttered to a stop with every sympton of running out of fuel, this was not the case. The bike restarted but would not run smoothly and stopped after about 1 minute. After leaving to stand for a while when the ignition was switched on the fuel pump was heard to be trying to pump fuel, at the same time the rev counter was flicking up to 4k and back, the bike would not start.
The bike was recovered to Bath Road BMW to await repair. A suspected engine management sensor was their initial thought.
Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone help?

Sounds suspiciously like the 'Hogg' Syndrome

OUr very own Iain Hogg had symptoms like these, which was traced to dirty connectors under the seat. If he doesn't see this and post the detail then send him a PM.

Ask previous owner if he/she had the tank off just before you picked it up. Is there a kink in the fuel line?

Greg

Not quite the same symptoms as me, quite a lot more actually!

I'd also suggest lifting teh tank and checking for knked fuel lines etc. and while there, you may as well check all the connectors also.

My problem was the connector in the wiring to the temperature sensor which told the ECU that the engine was always cold. It would run fvrom cold but gradually get worsed until it would run no more. an hour later, when cold, it would be OK again.

Hope you get sorted out soon,

Iain

Steve,

I just found this thread on the Advrider site.

The symptoms sound familiar, it might be worth following to see how it develops.

Iain

Back on the road

Pleased to say bike is back on the road and running well. Bath Road BMW found no fault on diagnostics or any history of a fault. The hall sensor was the suspected cause, this was changed, the bike had a full 12k service, which was due and touch wood all is now OK.
My thanks to Bath Road BMW.

Back
Top Bottom