Security

Sergeant Pluck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
in response to a number of 'stolen' posts recently, and my general paranoia about theft!, whats the general consensus on securing the love 'o' yer life?

i've got an oxford 'monster' lock and chain, and i'm about to buy one of these xena alarmed disc locks, anybody got any experience of these?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/produ...ntID=23670&2sectionID=50719&2documentID=23610

i don't have an alarm fitted.

what do you guys do?

pr0ne

Xena Lock

Not particularly loud and the battery does not last long especially when the kids learn how to set it off as there is no way of adjusting the sensitivity, so mine is just a disc lock now.

Don't bother with an alarm...

because no-one gives a toss! It's only good if you are around to hear it yourself. I use an Abus lock and great big Kryptonite f#*k off chain. At the end of the day pros will get your bike if they want it. You just need to slow down the speed that they can take it away in so that they look elsewhere.

Had one of those disc alarm jobbies... kept setting itself off when I was trying to unlock the bleedin' thing... so it now sits in a drawer somewhere at home. I agree with Madmountainman.... the only thing stopping a pro from nicking your bike is whether he really wants it or not. As for myself... I generally think about where I'm gonna be leaving the vehicle... if it's dodgy, I take the ZZR... which I don't give a toss about if it's nicked.

A plethora of devices...

On-board: 'Thatcham Approved' Alarm & Immobiliser (really only wanted the auto-arm nature of the immobiliser as has been said no-ones interested in the wailing of an alarm).

Carry-Out*: Throttle/Front Brake Lock (*Small and light like a disk lock only you don't forget its on the disk when you ride off - CRUNCH!!, also because its small you're more likely to take it with you and use it) .

At Home: Garaged with an Oxford Monster Chain, Squire Chain and Lock (both Thatacham Approved) and a cover. As the home is the predictable and most likely location for a professional thief you're really just making sure the percieved hassle and risk for them is too great and they move off to find a more vulnerable victim, but a true pro team will have your bike no matter what. And that's where insurance comes in.

Judge,

Got a link/address for the Throttle/Front Brake Lock?

Seen them before, but can't remember where.

Got a "Luma Solido Access" disc lock (made up name, surely!) - came top in the Ride tests last year. Lock website

Apparently they couldn't crack it in anything that would be considered "reasonable" (we're talking 10mins plus here), or with hand held power tools with spare batteries. They also couldn't pick it.

Comes with mounting bracket (not in your pocket), keyway cover etc etc. Nice, solid bit of kit.

Only downer is it's £49.99 - then again, you pays yer money........

Cheers
Jon

Jon said:
Judge,

Got a link/address for the Throttle/Front Brake Lock?

I won mine at an open day at Euro Classics in Northampton and they sell them - contact Phil Kingston on...

TEL 01604 591222 FAX 01604 591223
Mobile 07979 652098
Email: pkingston@ntlworld.com

16-18 Stenson Street, St. James, Northampton. NN5 5ED

had my bike robbed once..

thankfully i got it back.

that was pre alram days..

now its got a alarm and immobilizer..

but what stooped it bieng robbed the second time was dirty big oxford disk lock .. i think its oxford, dayglow yellow and it has a bracket which locks it to eth bike when not in use, very handy

it took em 10 mins to saw through with a petrol driven angle grinder..

the security guard spotted them and just got there in time..

i think if you make it bloody awkward for them to rob it then they wont bother..

so i have the good disk lock,, 135 euros they are i think,, and another bikelock n chain as well as the alarm..

i moight even spring for a really expensive kriptonite or whatever chain and lock when i have some spare dosh, you know the 200 quid+ ones..

they are almost unbreakable..

regards

pthag

Bought Xena alrm lock and chain recently...initial thoughts, yes, it's easy to set it off when you're unlocking it....the chain (2 metres) is bloody big (downside therefore is its weight) but good for locking to lamposts etc.
All in all, I'd recommend one...:)

security

I wouldn't bother with an alarm either, all they ever seem to do when fitted on bikes is bugger the electrics. I use an Oxford heavy duty disc lock, an Abus city heavy duty chain,and at home a ground anchor with another bl**dy great chain, plus a big padlock and a 'garage defender' concreted into the ground for the garage door. If it gets nicked then, they will have had to work v.hard to get it. I know these items are heavy to cart around, but since I bought a top box, it's easy.
If you think I have gone overboard on chains and stuff, anyone on this list who has had their bike stolen will be doing the same.
Just make it awkward for them to nick it and they'll move onto another easier target...........we hope ???.

Marcus.:shoot:

Paranoid or what

At home, the bike is in a shed behind a 6 foot fence, the gate is padlocked 3 times.
In the Shed, the bike is alarmed (Meta) and chained through the floor of the shed to the concrete slabs below with a ground anchor and an Oxford heavy duty chain and padlock.
It also has a Motrax Disk Lock on.

I was considering getting a new product call Bike Guard (http://www.mstinternational.com), but it's expensive (£259). This unit sends you a text message if your alarm should go off.

I may be paranoid, but it's unlikely the love of my life will be stolen from home.

At the office, she stays in an underground secure car park, right under the CCTV cameras.

Shugz.
:beer:

I've gone completely over the top at home. Got a card swipe access control system with 1200kg electro magnets on the doors, as well as the normal locks, with a dial up alarm to my Mobile...though there would be nothing worse than getting a call miles from home :(

A big thing to remember is that pro thieves will follow you home and keep on driving past. You will not know they have done it. They will do your garage at their leisure having sussed it out. They will also cruise around in their car or van or whatever on a sunday afternoon or evening when we have all come home after a good day out. All you clean bike types will be washing away merrily and the scrote will clock you and make a mental note of type/location etc.
When they go out to steal in their car or van they will more often than not take a lid with them, if they get stopped by the Police, so what, they've got a lid in the boot, Police know what the're up to but if they lock 'em up for going equipped, it'd go nowhere..........i digress.
I use a big f### off u lock and a kryptonite steel loop.
Watch out when you get the bike out and when you put it away again. They may be watching you.

I have to agree with Dave on this one.I never leave the bike in view of the road.If it isn't in the garage it is round the back of the house,or it's out being ridden.As for security I have an up and over garage door like many folks do,nice bendy things these.Anyone got any tips for strenghening them?On the inside in each corner I have fitted a lock,nothing to see from the outside to give that away.The bike is locked with about half a dozen locks and a ground anchor,paranoid me??

Cheeers Dave

Paranoid...

I've found a couple of 12st Rottweilers chained to the wheels as acted as a pretty good deterent so far!!!:mad:

thanks for all the advice peoples -- it has to be said though that i really hate the fact that i spend a large percentage of my waking hours worrying about whether my bike has been nicked, or has been clocked ready for nicking, and whether i've done enough to stop either of these scenarios. glad to see that i'm not alone...

pr0ne

I'm taking my baby inside.

I have ordered a new and wider door for my basement, so I can have both of my babies inside.
:moped:
My old door let my 1979 Vespa Bravo inside, but the Scarver is to big.

Hmmm...
I guess I can't buy a bike with a sidecar, then? ;)

I never leave my Scarver alone outside whitout a disclock, not on a gasstation or outside a store.

Perhaps I'm paranoid. :confused:
Neeh, I'm not. :)

Liv.

Prone, Like you I used to worry if my bike was being nicked while at work so I got an RF transmitter and Pager, I think it cost me £40, its a passive device that is wired into the indicator lights so when the alarm goes off the lights flash and send a signal to a pager on my belt, it only had a range of half a mile or so in a city but since the bike was well inside that it worked a treat. It gave me peace of mind, we tested it once and I could be out the office and round to the bike in 45 secs.

Happily I'm retired now so don't have the problem.

Immobilisers are a waste of time, an Accumen 911 alarm with one of these pagers and a big chain or cable lock secured to a fixed object is the only way really.

Or a gurkha sat on it.

You know it strikes me there's a business opportunity here for someone to keep an eye on bikes while their owners are at work.

Back
Top Bottom