Win 2000 Upgrade

Bødkerman

Reaction score
I have been getting it in the ear from the wife as it is just not good enough that I am unable to sort out her computer problems, improve the speed of connection , performance etc. Well I am the first person to abmit to zero IT knowledge....there is the situation and know the simple question...What is the easiest way to upgrade a 3 year old computer from Win 98 to Win 2000 and how will I know if the current computer is able to operate Win 2000 before trying it.

Help

Cooperman

just wondered why windows 2000? XP is cheaper.

s'pose you got a copy of 2000 already.

if it were me i'd format disc & install 2000 fresh. most 3 year old pc shouldn't have any probs with 2000.

there is an MS prog for assessing XP compatability available from their website but it's 54 MB IIRC.

Mike, I'd second the sentiment about reformatting the disk, upgrades seldom work 100%.

However, you will need to make sure taht you can boot the machine from a floppy or CD so that you can install the minimum drivers necessary.

Good luck!

Iain

Win 2000 or XP

Currently Her Ladyships PC has Win 98 on it and she is having intermitent trouble dialing in to BTinternet (she will not change her ISP at present). BT have said that this problem occurs with Win 98 & they would reccomend upgrading to Win 2000.

That is the reason for he original query. If XP is better, great and cheaper even better....so what next, upgrade from CD? and do I have to "clean" everything else off the PC.

Sadly my knowledge of IT is limited to typing on it and swearing at it!!!!!

Cooperman

win 2000 vs xp..

i have win 2000 pro at home and find it great, solid and no bugs..

xp is ok and have it at work along with every other os, the thing with xp is that you need shedloads of ram..

it puts a very heavy strain on your pc.. so have a min of 256 mg's of ram..

what speed is the pc? PIII? PII?

if you wnat your pc to work better get more ram and if you want splash out for a faster processor..

have a look at www.scan.co.uk great prices and the cheapest for ram and other bits..

regards

pthag..

Pthagonal's right, you really should have 256MB RAM & up for XP. i have it running nicely on a relatively ancient PIII600/256MB RAM setup.

re: dial-up problem being caused by W98, i think BT are talking shite as usual!
98 is very flakey compared to XP/2000, but i bet it's not your problem.

Did you consider upgrading the missus ....:D

W2000 is heavy for a home user, it's more for office or prof usage.. XP Home Edition is obviously for you, it's easier to use, etc, but indeed it needs more memory and a reasonably powerful processor, so you might find that you'll need a new computer.

The alternative is that your problem lies with BT, so find out why there is a problem. Help desks often quickly put an end user on a track that gets them off their backs. If your computer used to work with BT and now it doesn't, then changing operating system will probably solve the problem for now, but it might come back. If BT have problems with W98 they should tell that in advance, and I'm sure they don't. In fact the operating system has very little to do with the internet, only for the browser used and any special hardware you might be using. What is their beed..???

Thanks for that Guys, looks like an upgrade of PC is in store, not sure an upgrade of wife would be on the cards, 6ft blonde Dane is fulfilling the role very well at present.....also last time the Danes got pissed off with the Brits they introduced us to very large axes!

Cooperman

Mike Cooper said:
Thanks for that Guys, looks like an upgrade of PC is in store, not sure an upgrade of wife would be on the cards, 6ft blonde Dane is fulfilling the role very well at present.....also last time the Danes got pissed off with the Brits they introduced us to very large axes!

Cooperman

ah well does that mean she gives you the horn if yer bad..

lol

you must get her one of these helmets for her birthday, would lookn great with the gs...

vik-helm.jpg

sorree couldnt resist

pthag

Some friends last light were asking me about a problem they were having with BT Internet.
They have been using windows 98ME for some time without any problems, now they are having the same problem as you. BT’s answer was that it works OK on windows 98 but there are problems with ME.
I find this very strange because I was also using BT internet for about 1 year on ME without any problems, before I switched to NTL.
Both BT & NTL told me about 1 year ago that they didn’t support windows XP, my laptop uses XP & my PC uses 98ME without any problems at the moment.
As Cookie stated BT is probably talking b**l*x & they are just trying to get rid of you the quickest way they know.
Its not unusual for them to do that, & I should know I work for them!
The best thing to do is tell them that if they can’t sort out your problem, you will have to switch to another ISP.
that should kick them into action.

Both BT & NTL told me about 1 year ago that they didn’t support windows XP, my laptop uses XP & my PC uses 98ME without any problems at the moment.

no support just means they won't give you any help you may need if you have XP.

how very far sighted of them.

Back
Top Bottom