New exhaust can

Jim-Adv

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the dual cans on a 650GS with an after market single can? and if you did what did you use and how does it look

Cheers

Jim

Jim,
I've had a Staintune on for over a year now. I'm very impressed, with gains in the lower rev range and lots of noise in the upper!
It's much lighter than the standard and well built.
With the standard exhaust on my bike there was always a slight lag when opening the throttle (off a closed throttle). Now the twistgrip feels 'connected' to the rear wheel and the bike is easier to ride off road. I'm also now getting about 65mpg as opposed to 61mpg (slight gain probably from discreet use of the throttle in town - did I say it was noisey?)
I also think the one sided arrangement looks a lot better aswell (and it gives somewhere to mount a scottoiler).
I payed £200 (ordered two direct from Austalia)

Staintune get my vote.

Ride safely............

Paul,
Got any pics of it on the bike? Side(s) and rear view?
Ta
Jon

stntn127c3.jpg

Staintune_and_Sleeping_mat.JPG

check out: www.dhpmoto.com

look in the 650 dakar modifications section

Seen that site before, but thanks.

Would ideally like a photo of the bike with no luggage & also of the side without the exhaust, rather than just side on.

Get the feeling it it's gonna look really weird :eek :tosser

Ta

Picture's not brilliant:

Attachments

• 5-1-03 peaks.jpg
    5-1-03 peaks.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 369
and another......

Attachments

• pwexhaust.jpg
    pwexhaust.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 470
The picture from Dave Park's site fails to show that the Staintune silencer now comes with two lugs for attaching the original alloy guard. See below......

Attachments

• 8-12-02 beach ex.jpg
    8-12-02 beach ex.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 836
Cheers Paul!

It's almost crying out for a fake tubular can to be put on the right and used as storage.

These Staintunes do look the business...and appear to improve the pick-up .

Maybe my next buy? Where do you guys buy one of these from...and hopefully it will fit with my impending genuine BMW luggage!! :)

Kenny

Kenny,
Casey organised the purchase (direct from Staintune). He's back living in Oz now and I'm sure he'd arrange to send one over. Contact him from his web site www.talkingthomas.com

Looks like they're about £320 over here..........:(

Looks like they're about £320 over here..........

...and illegal (and we do get harrassed by the plod in North and Mid Wales for exhausts ).
The exhausts are road quiet but don't carry the neccessary BSAY193 stamp and 'E' mark etc..........or so I'm reliably informed

So, definately fell off my shoppin list now....bugger

Kenny:(

I have recently been speaking to Mike at Woody's Emporium (the staintune importer) as the site suggests that the staintune can now be had as a dual can; as original. Mike thought that this was the case and the price kinda suggested this too

Turns out not to be true, however, Mike seems like a good sort and I am sure would be receptive to the idea of a discount if enough of us wanted one.

BTW Casey Thomas has oe BMW 650GS luggage fitted to his Dakar with the staintune in place.

Tim

Re: Looks like they're about £320 over here..........

Kenny said:
...and illegal (and we do get harrassed by the plod in North and Mid Wales for exhausts ).
The exhausts are road quiet but don't carry the neccessary BSAY193 stamp and 'E' mark etc..........or so I'm reliably informed

So, definately fell off my shoppin list now....bugger

Kenny:(

What's wrong with going down to the local tool shop and buying a number & letter stamp set. Or as I did once, went and talked to the local amateur engineering club and borrowing them.

Then stamped the 'E' mark on myself (but I never said that did I)

:D :D :D :D

Re: Looks like they're about £320 over here..........

Kenny said:

Try here .

You ain't seen me - right?

Mike:)

Mike O, you should be ashamed of yourself. I expect this on the 1150 page but not here !!! LOL

Just removed that horrid (well to me it is) rear 'mudguard' and as you all know, it is also part of the chain guard...so....I'm going to make a smaller chain guard ..............but the reason for this epistle is/has anybody bought a replacement chain guard for the GS ( in this country) ??

Lastly, when I removed the above guard and cleaned up everything, I noticed a fair degree of play in the cush drive (more than a Jap bike let's say)..is this normal...feels OK to ride but as it's going in for a service this Friday..it would be nice not to make a fool of myself if I point it out !!

kenny

I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone supa-moto'd theirs and put a honda or kawasaki one on that fitted.

Might have been on the chain gang site. I'll have a peek sometime.

Some guy was selling the Touratech ones on the old ads page of the 650 site - not sure if he's still selling.................

As stated in the last MCN having a loud can is none endorsable and £30 putting on your own stamp could be perverting the course of justice which is criminal offence, take your chance which ever way

Roger

Back
Top Bottom