first trip abroad friday

cral

Reaction score
setting off friday for the alps :thumb , four of us,this is my first time over the water on the bike so cum on give us a tip or two, :beerjug:
hotel booked in the tyrol,
saturday 600 mile day so how do i cope with that, :confused: whats german/ dutch for unleaded :nenau
if i see you there blues i'll give you a wave, planning stelvio, grossglockner and fuela? speeling again. :thumb
will try very hard when i get back to post a write up

I am riding down to Italy this week end leaving on Friday. I'll leave devon and be at the eurotunnel by 7 pm. Then the day after I should ride the 600 miles to Milan. Wave me if you see a yellow 1200 with an happy chap on it

Tips? That yellow snow.....

Just have fun! Don't turn up to places in the dark, do as many miles in the morning as possible whilst you're awake preferably, old jonny foreigner comes up pretty quick in the outside lane!

Just take your time,its not a race,if you dont make time to first hotel-there are plenty more! day time rides only and adjust ur mirrors while in the tunnel,its surprising to see all the wobbly bikers and caravanners trying to do their mirrors in the first few kms on foreign soil!but most of all enjoy it!!

Like wise, frist trip on the bike abroad, off to France Friday! roll on!!!!!!!!!! :thumb

Quote,
Visitors using Austrian motorways and "A" roads should ensure their vehicles are properly documented and must display a Motorway Vignette (autobahnvignette) on their vehicle as they enter Austria. Failure to have one will mean a heavy, on the spot fine. Motorway Vignettes are obtainable at all major border crossings into Austria and at larger petrol stations. Special short-stay autobahnvignette are available at €7.60 fir 10 days or 2 months at €21.80.

Fines are around £40 if you get caught without one, don't ask how I know :(

Hope you have a clear day on the Grossglockner, it’s a terrific road, :)

Take your time and if you intend to use a Swiss motorway buy Swiss road tax CHF 40 from petrol stations and border crossings.

Most of all enjoy yourself.

Dave

Tips

cral said:
setting off friday for the alps :thumb , four of us,this is my first time over the water on the bike so cum on give us a tip or two, :beerjug:

Whenever you pull up a junction don't be tempted to "go for the gap" just hang on a while and collect your thoughts about which side of the road you're going to turn onto and which way to look.

If you have to stop ALWAYS stop on the side of the road you're travelling on - that way when you set off again you're less likely to forget which side you're riding on.

Have a great holiday and enjoy

HTH

Sherpa ;)

Only ever fill up in a garage on the right hand of the road and don't ride tired. IMO planning a first day total of 600 miles is just asking for trouble. :nono

Jesus.. I've been doing it all wrong all these years.... ;)

Have a good trip Cral.

In Austria they have a marvellous TV channel in the mornings that gives webcams of the places you might like to see... Grossglockner etc. If your hotel room has a tv, turn it on and check the weather on the passes live rather than the (supposedly) educated guess of the weatherman/bird.

The unleaded pumps in Germany may well have blue not green handles. They also have three flavours of unleaded starting with a 91 octane jobbie. I used it and didn't notice any problems in my 1150 last month.

At some stations I noticed diesil was yellow handles,....

In Switzerland Unleaded 95 was 1.18 to 1.21 CHF a litre... fill up before leaving. On Yahoo's currency converter there are 2.3267 CHF to the £1.

When exiting Germany there may be log jams of trucks at certain times of the day at autobahn service stations, this is because the drivers are paying the MAUT tax on their journey's, try to plan stopping somewhere else!

I'm off to Switzerland/ France/Italy/Austria/Germany on Monday for a week. Will be doing as many passes as possible. Traveling down through the Vosges Mountain to Lausanne and then basing myself there for the rest of the time.

Look out for a happy chappy on a White/Blue GS1150Adv SE. :D

Fill your tank on Saturday night, as petrol can be hard to find on Sundays.
A couple of friends who tour a lot always put a little tab of red tape on the right hand side of their wind shields , in their vision, just as a quick referance to which side of the road to be on, it's not a bad idea.
Have a great time.

Invicta Moto said:
Jesus.. I've been doing it all wrong all these years.... ;)

In Switzerland Unleaded 95 was 1.18 to 1.21 CHF a litre... fill up before leaving. On Yahoo's currency converter there are 2.3267 CHF to the £1.

I heard Switzerland was expensive, I planned to by pass it, (heading off on 19th Sept) changed my mind now :thumb

tips

Thank you all for the tips the wife and i are also heading down to italy
first trip so i'll wave to all the bmw gs dudes watch out for a loaded up gsa
another good tip ALDI sell a superb translater £15 french,german russian japanese chinese dutch italian spanish and of course english
buon vacanzie

Back
Top Bottom