Waterproof jackets?

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My current textile jacket has a zip-out waterproof liner, which I originally thought was a good idea but is actually a complete PITA. When it rains, although I'm dry, the outer jacket gets completely sodden and heavy, and feels cold. You also have to remember to zip the liner in, or take it with you on warm days when you'd rather not leave it in all the time.

Does anyone know of a decent jacket that is waterproof on the outside?

Many thanks

:beerjug:

Spada Circuit - £89.95 if you shop around.

My Brother-in-Law has had one for the last year and was impressed with it. Kept him dry the other Sunday when it tipped it down all day but is pockets got wet because he had not closed them properly.

If got good ride reviews in one of their textile suits tests. I have just ordered myself on as a slimmer alternative to my Belstaff.

Hope it helps

Nigel

Halvarsson Amazon ...

... has a waterproof & breathable shell, and an 'Outlast' liner which is similar to the phase-change one from BMUU. Looks good, very well made and not everyones got one. The best aspect is they are not as bulky as most 'Winter' jackets, that alone makes it a winner. The only downside is finding one in the UK and paying £200 ;)

I've just got a normal Mbw rally 2 jacket,and in the pouch at the back,I've got a smock that just pulls over the jacket when I'm wearing it.No more problems with having to make sure that there's nothing in your pockets that will die if they get wet,phones,wallet and cameras are all safe.Plus the fact you never have a jacket to dry out when it stops raining,and it keeps you really warm in the cold as well.

I'll see if I can find a web site for the one I've got :thumb

Just found it www.xcting.com about £35 for an oversmock

It costs a small fortune but the Streetguard jacket and trousers from BMW are waterproof (gore tex xcr - IIRC).

Certainly worth a look

Jase

Jase said:
It costs a small fortune but the Streetguard jacket and trousers from BMW are waterproof (gore tex xcr - IIRC).

Certainly worth a look

Jase

ditto rukka armacor

I didn't want the same problem you have when my Belstaffs ran out of life so I bought Hein Gericke Master IV - fully waterproof on the outside, including the pockets, and we hope to cover many tens of thousands of miles happily together!

I recently bought a HG Maxwell jacket which fits the bill, even the pockets have so far been 100%. Trousers are another story, rather than the outer material being waterproof most makes seem to have a waterproof inner membrane. They are often waterproof in the sense that you dont get wet but when you are not using the insulated liners you can feel the water on the otherside of the membrane which makes you feel wet.

Ian Loveday said:
They are often waterproof in the sense that you dont get wet but when you are not using the insulated liners you can feel the water on the otherside of the membrane which makes you feel wet.

That's exactly the sensation with the waterproof liners - well put!

Thanks for the suggestions all - I will check those out. :thumb

Andy

The advantage of the Streetguard/Rukka method of bonding the Goretex to the Cordura is that one does not feel the dampness on the inside.

bakerlonglegs said:
My current textile jacket has a zip-out waterproof liner, which I originally thought was a good idea but is actually a complete PITA. When it rains, although I'm dry, the outer jacket gets completely sodden and heavy, and feels cold. You also have to remember to zip the liner in, or take it with you on warm days when you'd rather not leave it in all the time.
Does anyone know of a decent jacket that is waterproof on the outside?

I have a Dainese Goretex jobby with the zip out liner, and it's absolutely ace........ EXCEPT for the fact stated so eloquently by bakerlonglegs! I completed one long and very wet ride feeling a little heavy but smug and warm......... until I put my arms down at a petrol stop. All the water that had collected between the inner and outer sleeves poured straight down into my previously dry gloves!!!! :spitfire

I use a Mountain bike breathable jacket on the top of my BM Jacket.
To me it seems a waist of time having the waterproof liner on the inside of the jacket,when the outside including your pockets get soaked.

The MB Jacket cost about £40 from www.wiggle.co.uk.

I bought a Streetgaurd 2 last Nov..... (and im a picky bas*$%d) and 'touch wood' i have not been wet yet. worn throughout winter going to work etc.... And im in cumbria , so it always rains.
And i only had a t-shirt worn under it with the thermal liner in winter..... really is quite good :clap
AND after almost 12 months of constant use , it still looks brand new :thumb

I know its expensive but you get what you pay for sometimes!!!!!
(Speak to Jim at southport superbikes...im sure he will sort you out with a good deal!) :beer:

I use Rally 2 jacket for hot weather, and have used it in heavy rain - stayed dry and I think the idea of washing it wihout the goretex is top-notch.
I use a Richa jacket with a cycling jacket over it for wet winter. Cycling jacket is XL, fluorescent, long sleeves, long bum, 100% waterproof, breathable, cost 70 euro (sob, sob) but does the biz. The Richa jacket stays clean and dry.

Back
Top Bottom