Quest 2 - which processor?

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
Does anyone know what the processor is in the Garmin Quest 2?

Is it an ARM 9?, An Intel X-scale? a PowerPC?, Motorola Freescale or something else? What clock speed does it operate at?

I could dismantle mine to find out, but would rather not!

google suggests the answer is.... "one that's not really fast enough". No specifics about the type/clock though.

The unit software is available as a .exe from Garmin, but the unit code appears compressed with no obvious strings in it to point out the executable header.

ianf said:
google suggests the answer is.... "one that's not really fast enough". No specifics about the type/clock though.

The unit software is available as a .exe from Garmin, but the unit code appears compressed with no obvious strings in it to point out the executable header.

Ahhhhhh - good thinking - I'll download the .exe and take a look - we have someone here who would treat it as a challenge to work out what processor the code ran on. My guess is that it could be an X-scale.

Robin said:
I have no idea but, out of interest, why would you want to know?

Just curious - if necessary I'll take it apart - it's the first thing us electronics people normally do with new gadgets - we want to see what things are made of and how they work.

There's a photo on the net of the guts, on the 'elsinga family' page. Processor is probably on the other side of the board or under the grid array on the left.

pointless though, as upgrading it is likely next to impossible....

..:censor::censor::censor::censor: im bored, help.

Be careful not to scratch the case as it needs to look perfect when you send it back to Garmin :D

Back
Top Bottom