Intermittent General Warning light?

Yodagoat

Reaction score
Riding along the other day and I notice the General Warning light is on. Owners manual says that this means the brake light is faulty. Brake light is ok. Turn bike back on and the General warning light goes out as normal. This is happened a couple of times, any ideas what it could be?

I had this last year.

I rang the dealer and they said don't ride it if you get the red warning triangle at any time and ring recovery.

Rang BMW recovery and they said ride it despite the red light. However, when I asked for a name authorising this, they collected it and took it back to the dealer for checking and re-programming etc.

One month later, I had exactly the same problem and went through the same routine.

No issues since!

Servo bike, or non servo - big difference in the warning light :eek:

I had the same thing happen on my 1150GSA. Turn on all OK, apply brakes and the warning light came on. Turn of - on and all back to normal till brakes applied.

It turned out, when I took the bulb out, that the fillament had 'broken' where it joined the one of the two heavy prongs holding it in place. As power was sent down the fillament and it got hot it 'lifted' away from one of the prongs. When it cooled it returned to contact the prong.

Hope your prob is as simple as mine

H

When you say "brake light is ok" have you actually taken it out? Only asking as I had a very similar (intermittant) problem a few months ago (05 1150 Adventure). I checked the brake light, and sure enough the light came as I pressed the pedal, but on closer inspection there were 2 filaments in the bulb - but the thinnest of the 2 had broken. Changed bulbs and I've had no problem since.

light

had same prob on my 1150adv traced it to water getting in connector under r/h side of seat dried out . siliconed up fine now :thumb
common prob says rainbow :(

I got the same warning on my 05 ADV SE with servo brakes. I had just arrived in Scotland, then taken the car ferry over to Hunters Quay,(away from Glasgow), phone my dealer in Northern Ireland and they told me to go straight to BMW in Glasgow. I read the handbook and noted it was a bulb out, but all lights working fine! Tried restarting a few times to no avail. At the end up I removed the rear stop bulb and re-fitted it, hey presto, problem cured. It has happened once or twice since, but always cured itself later the same day. Bike is now out of warranty and I never bothered to take it to a dealer.

I'm not sure about the 1200's but the 1150 servo jobbies were clever enough to detect a tail lamp filament not working and feed a reduced current thru the brake lamp filament so that you still have a tail lamp!

Try inspecting the bulb for a dodgy filament, cleaning the bulb contact and sprating connectors etc with ACF50!¬

Jobs a Good Un!

Also what is the mileage on the bikes??? As you can get low fluid warnings popping up if the pads are nearly down to wear limits??

You should be able to see don thru with a good penlight and see the pad thinkness 2 mm material was the cut off point in the stealership for changing them on a used bike sale!!!

+1 for Jaythro :thumb

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago. The only thing that made me think it was the bulb was the slight delay in the back light coming on when I turned the bike on.

general warning light on

i have checked bulb, conections etc, brakes work fine servo working fine abs fine,light still on. it went out for a day but when started next day came back on,run bike with abs switched off same problem any more ideas.:confused:

Rod, the bulb may look fine, mine did, but change it anyway... I'll bet it cures the problem:thumb

When you say "brake light is ok" have you actually taken it out? Only asking as I had a very similar (intermittant) problem a few months ago (05 1150 Adventure). I checked the brake light, and sure enough the light came as I pressed the pedal, but on closer inspection there were 2 filaments in the bulb - but the thinnest of the 2 had broken. Changed bulbs and I've had no problem since.

I had exactly the same problem on 05 1150ad, dealer (CW) told me to change the bulb same as Taff said no problems since.:thumb

I have a similar problem on my 2003 1150. When the light comes on I turn the bike off and when turned back on light goes out. I have the NN LED rear light fitting. Up for it's 36,000 service soon at CW so will let them scratch their heads.

Corrision

Check for corrision on the connectors and also check the wiring coming from the main harness. I had the same problem and it was traced to corrision of the wires after 5000miles.....mostly in the rain.

Hope it helps, Nick

Back
Top Bottom