Brake Pad Confusion

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can help with my W plate 1150. It has Brembo calipers on it and when I phoned BMW they want to know the chassis number to quote for the rear brake pads. Apparently there are 2 types. Having searched on here it seems that all the rear brakes are the same on the 1150 and take the same pads. Who's right? Mine is an ABS model that makes the clunky noise when you move. I assume it has a servo? Won't buy the BM pads anyway cause they cost £35 or £47!!!! :eek:

I think that the difference is only in friction material.

IMHO you should buy the sintered material - whichever model that comes from.

BTW - I think DR-Z fronts fit the rear of an 1150!

Greg

Phill. Your bike has not got a servo. the noise you hear when you set off is just the ABS resetting itself, sounds as if you have just ridden over a bucket of rusty nails. Get your brake pads from the likes of motorworks, sherlocks or motobins, much cheaper, just as good and the delivery is fantastic.. By the way you could have phoned me for this but I suppose it is more fun this way. Pastyman (Dad) :rob

Phil get some Ferrodo Platinum of Steptoe, top pad and very good price :thumb

And if you need a hand with the brakes nip round :D

search for steptoe and brakes - there is a thread where he has pictured all the brakes and identified the pad nos.

Bigtwin said:
search for steptoe and brakes - there is a thread where he has pictured all the brakes and identified the pad nos.

I did that and identified the fronts but are all the rears the same? Steptoe says they are and BM say they aren't. Inclined to believe the old wrinkly guru, but just wanted confirmation.

Les, thanks for the offer, if I can get the pads I should be ok to do it. I'm keeping my favours from you for the really tough shitty jobs that I have no idea how to tackle :D :D :D .

Rob Farmer said:
The £47 pads are for the servo bikes :(

£25 for non servo bikes.

All the brake pad makers list only one type ( pattern) for the whole GS range.

I've always used the same pad in servo and non servo bikes - even 1200GS's without any problems whatsoever .

The calipers are the same. And the discs are all made in the same materials :nenau

Muffinmonger said:
PASTRYMAN - Ar yu BAKAMAN in disgize?

Yu'R triing to trik uz aunt yu?
Nope muffin, I kan spel an its Pastyman as in the cornish variety.. By the way whos bakaman or is that baker man ?

Haven't you got anythng better to do Pastyman? Shouldn't you be sorting out that ill handling ugly bugger of yours? I'm sure that it's your age causing the handling problems, maybe you could get some stabilizers (for your bike ....not your brain!!!).

To anyone not in the know, Pastyman has the name due to the fact that he's soft on the inside, and rather crusty and flakey on the outside. Must be all that cornish sun :D :D :D :D

pastyman said:
Nope muffin, I kan spel an its Pastyman as in the cornish variety.. By the way whos bakaman or is that baker man ?

O I thuoght you was BAKERYMAN in disgize becoz yo'ure name IS almust de same.

:D

Bigtwin said:

Vines at Guildford made a total mess of trying to find the right pads, AND told me that they were all different ("there are thick ones and thin ones you see mate...").

Predictably, Steptoe was on the money - they were all the same from the manufacturers, just far cheaper than from BMW - who'd of thought it eh?

Back
Top Bottom