War graves Commission

Duchess

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Check this website out .... The Debt of Honour Register.

You can actually trace who you're related to that were actively involved and unfortunately killed in action during the war and some interesting little details recorded on the death certificates plus track family history details if you search through to the death certificate.

Sounds morbid... but its really interesting to read.

Regimental details, where they are buried, plus a little background family information.

www . cwgl . org (no spaces)

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=197899

My Grandma's cousin.

Died on the 1st day of the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge.

My sister has a newspaper cutting detailing how he died, written by a man he went back to save in the height of the battle and sent to his family. He described it as the greatest act of heroisim unrewarded with a VC.

I'll take the bike and visit him in France one day.

Trippy said:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=197899

My Grandma's cousin.

Died on the 1st day of the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge.

My sister has a newspaper cutting detailing how he died, written by a man he went back to save in the height of the battle and sent to his family. He described it as the greatest act of heroisim unrewarded with a VC.

I'll take the bike and visit him in France one day.

It's one of those things Trippy that if you don't do it... you'll always wish that you had!

I've recently found, and visited, my great grandfathers place of rest just outside Ypres. Got his son now to go visit at Bernafay Wood, Montauban.

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Menin Road South-4.jpg
    Menin Road South-4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 495
Always shocks me to see the size of casualties. I have quite a rare surname and there are 9 pages of us, so bound to be lots of relatives.

The town I grew up in was the source of one of the famous "pals" batallions.

A little research from the street where I grew up (only there is a lot of missing information) tells me that in the first world war, soldiers sailors and airmen were killed from

No.1 - Arthur & Jack brothers
No.3 Fred
No.4 Earnest
No.5 - Arthur
No.9 Charles
No. 10 Charles
No.21 Walter
No. 27 Harry
No. 29 Herbert
No. 31 Charles
No. 68 Robert
No. 70 Walter

Every street in the town and surrounding area suffered the same way.
It's a level of tradgedy that we find hard to comprehend today.

I did a Somme tour a few years back with my old regiment. It was a very sobering experience

http://www.pals.org.uk/

Sorry I can't link to the actual picture but here is a link to a trip report I posted about my trip to Ypres and the Somme back in June. If you scroll down a ways you'll come to a pic of the Accrington Pals Memorial. It is situated in a small wood together with memorials to some of the other Pals Battalions.

RIP

Went on holiday with my wife and kids about 5 years ago to a friend's house between Beauvais and Amiens (Northern France).

One cold wet, drizzly day we visited some of the graves. It was one of the saddest days I have ever experienced.

Row upon row of war dead, many unnamed, the silence was incredible, very moving. The weather conditions added to the atmosphere and made you realise the struggle these soliders had.

The War Graves Commission does a fantastic job of looking after these graves.

Two of my great-uncles are on there, both artillerymen, killed in 1916 within a few months of each other - family had 11 kids, all the rest survived. I have a diary of the one that survived the longest, from 1916, with an entry for his brother's death, and a lot of empty pages at the end.

I very much doubt that people would be willing to do the same today.

there is a visitors centre at thiepval fr that you can do the same whilst on site..

its an amazing place to see and very sobering for sure..

... A Great Great Uncle bought it in Belgium, his brother-in-law survived three years savagery in the trenches and was among the most impressive men I've ever had the pleasure to know.

Name: GREG, ROBERT PHILIPS
Initials: R P
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment
Unit Text: 11th Bn.
Date of Death: 03/05/1918
Additional information: Son of Col. E. W. Greg, C.B., and Marian Greg, of Norcliffe Hall, Handforth, Cheshire. Educated at Rugby School and received his commission in the 4th Res. Bn. the Cheshire Regt., T.F., and was posted to the 11th Bn. on arrival in France.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVIII. E. 20A.
Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Excellent site.

I'd used this a few years back to trace my relatives, both in the Black Watch Royal Highlanders. RIP

Great Uncle Andrew Killed during the D-Day operation in WWII.

Great Grandfather Who has no known grave but is on the memorial panel at the Loos war cemetery. Same as John Kipling, son of author Rudyard.

RIP Both

On each 'casualty' page, If you click on the cemetery link at the bottom of the casualty page, you get directions, maps and a layout map of the cemetery showing the location of the grave.

I thought I'd extend on this thread, so....... , racing upstairs, climbing into the attic... I took out the polished brown wooden case and took a few pictures of the contents for you all to see

Motorcycle Despatch Riders ....

Comes complete with tiny little round spectacles in the case and a book dated 1929 costing the original owner 1s/6d (whatever that means :confused: ) printed by the war office titled 'Notes on map reading'

The gloves where lined with rabbit fur. Not sure if the pictures do it any justice, but here goes ....

Attachments

• Riders Kit 2.jpg
    Riders Kit 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Riders Kit 5.jpg
    Riders Kit 5.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Riders Kit 1.jpg
    Riders Kit 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Riders Kit 3.jpg
    Riders Kit 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Riders Kit 4.jpg
    Riders Kit 4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 305
Glasses and more maps ....

Attachments

• Riders Kit 7.jpg
    Riders Kit 7.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 297
  • Riders Kit 6.jpg
    Riders Kit 6.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 296
Duchess said:
I thought I'd extend on this thread, so....... , racing upstairs, climbing into the attic... I took out the polished brown wooden case and took a few pictures of the contents for you all to see

Motorcycle Despatch Riders ....

Comes complete with tiny little round spectacles in the case and a book dated 1929 costing the original owner 1s/6d (whatever that means :confused: ) printed by the war office titled 'Notes on map reading'

The gloves where lined with rabbit fur. Not sure if the pictures do it any justice, but here goes ....

What a fantastic and poignant thing to have, Karen.

Don't ever let it go....it's very special :)

My great grandad, for some reason changed his surname to my current from Keveth.

Traced it via the census, knew they lived in Cornwal. 1896 (I think) only one family in Cornwal with that name. Extended it to whole country, still only one family in UK!

Anyone any idea from what country this name comes from, I assume that it isn't English?

My dad has since found that there were 7 brothers in the services at the same time. I think 6 were in the Cornish light infantry regiment & my great grandad was in the royal marines.

A Colonel in the Cornish told the Queen, who sent my great great grandmother a photo of herself, & 10 shilings :D

I have a print of the 7 brothers & their mother. One is buried (?) at the Helles memorial in Turkey.

Spookily, when I see the picture, I recognise 2 of them as me. Neither of whom was my great grandad?

My dad said that he was a machine gunner, meant nowt to me, until I read "Forgotten voices" the book that prints information that the Imperial War museum gathered first hand from veterans. Made me cry.

McCRACKEN, JAMES
Initials: J
Regiment/Service: East Yorkshire Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 15/08/1918
Service No: 50611
Additional information: Son of William J. and Mary J. McCracken, of 19, Moorgate St., Belfast.
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 4.
Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Great Uncle James on my Mothers side. The address was the house I was born in.

And me with Great Aunt Sarah (His Sister)I called her "Lally" cos I couldn't say Sally when I was wee at her 103Rd Birthday July 2 2003. She made 104 before she passed away.

Attachments

• DSCF0008small.jpg
    DSCF0008small.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 168
Fanum said:
What a fantastic and poignant thing to have, Karen.

Don't ever let it go....it's very special :)

Yes I think so too. I had thoughts of loaning the complete kit to the museum for all to see. I just never got around to doing so. Not even sure if they'd be interested to be honest.

When you look at the kit there's hardly any protection for the rider if, god forbid, should he ever take a tumble.

POTTS, WILLIAM EDWARD
Initials: W E
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles
Unit Text: 9th Bn.
Date of Death: 01/07/1916
Service No: 1358
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Great Uncle William on my Dads side Killed at the Somme with so many Ulster men......before lunch time apparently. :(

Back
Top Bottom