Yamaha Fazer 600 'clunking' into first gear

Candyman

Another South-African Tosser
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Clutch in and engage 1st from neutral with a horrible sounding 'clunk' (unlike the smooth GS :) ). I notice at traffic lights that some other jap bikes 'clunk' into first gear. When I am gearing down to 1st while slowing to stop then the change is smooth. Does clutch need adjusting/replacing or is this usual behaviour? :nenau

Wet clutch, its just a normal quirk....Wait untill the cold weather and the first time in the morning you put it into gear. :eek: :D

Completely normal.. I used to have stop at lights opposite a bus stop and several times neutral->first clunk would make people jump.
I found the clunk and gear shift to be quite sensitive to the chain tension, so try adjusting that first. The UK owners club www.foc-u.co.uk is a good resource.

Candyman said:
Clutch in and engage 1st from neutral with a horrible sounding 'clunk' (unlike the smooth GS :) ). I notice at traffic lights that some other jap bikes 'clunk' into first gear. When I am gearing down to 1st while slowing to stop then the change is smooth. Does clutch need adjusting/replacing or is this usual behaviour? :nenau

They all do that sir!

To be serious, I had a 600 Fazer, (as well as my GS), for a couple of years and I really loved it, but they do clunk into first from neutral and my GS' gearbox felt quite refined compared to it. Just ride it and enjoy it as much as I did, it's a great bike! :thumb

I'll join in with the "they all do that" club. Every wet clutch bike I've had has done it, especially with cold oil: VFR, CBR, NX650 & TDM.

You can reduce the clonking, especially when the engine is cold, by holding the clutch in for a few seconds before engaging gear. This allows the time for the clutch plates to overcome the static friction caused by sitting in a bath of oil.

If the gearbox clonks a lot when the engine is warm then check your chain tension. A slack chain will make gearchanges worse.

thanks for easing my worries chaps :thumb I'll check the chain tension.
It is cool that my GS is so smooth into first gear, I love my GS even more now :)

Mine used to do that horrible clunking thing too :eek: apparently it is normal

Another ex fazer owner here :D

Although sometimes I wish I still had it. Fantastic bike, but very clunky gearbox. We just did 1500 miles round Germany last week on Clare's Fazer 600, apart from the back pain it was fantastic :D

Back
Top Bottom