ABS/servo brake bleeding

Big Al Litch

Reaction score
2003 1150GS 2-spark with ABS/servo-brakes.
Ok, I know this one is covered all the time and I had read all the previous posts I could find but when I went to bleed my brakes today (ABS/servo) I was totally confused with what I encountered. I had read & digested all the available info and was paticually pleased with what Steptoe had written in the past and so it was with a fair degree of confidence that I started work as I am no stranger to bleeding convential hydraulic systems.

I found four bleed nipples on the unit and all seemed to be pretty inaccessable without removing the main block-connector. Also I was expecting to recognise the two mini fluid-reservoirs on the unit but but to be perfectly honest I wasn't sure if they were the two domed units or the flat-topped units c/w hex-socket.
Is it the case that the connector has to be removed to gain access to the bleed-nipples and while I can work out which controls F&R brakes which nipple does what?

For anyone with access to a Haynes mine is the unit in 17.19b on page 6.23.

Now unlike you I havent read anything on here about bleeding abs/servo assisted brakes.
However my dealer where I bought mine adviced me only dealers have the necessary pump needed to bleed these brakes.
To back this up I asked my local guys who both worked for a recent closed BMW dealer & they said they won't attempt to bleed them without it.
However another local very capable bike mechanic says he can bleed them .
Be interesting to read a bit more about this.but seeing as the guys who work on them all the time wont attempt to do it doesnt give me any confidence to try & I to have blead scores of brakes having been a car mechanic in the past.

The pump that's used to bleed the system also pressure tests it & produces a certificate of roadworthiness (?). Without it, there are some fairly serious liability issues, I suspect....

Like RedRocket said, if the ex-BWM guys won't touch them, I'd be concerned.

red rocket said:
To back this up I asked my local guys who both worked for a recent closed BMW dealer & they said they won't attempt to bleed them without it.

Because they've been brainwashed in the past when working at the BM delaer, and told only the "special" BMW computer is capable. = which is bollox.

The actual bleeding process is easier with servo brakes, because the servo does the pumping for you. But it does take longer accessing all the bleeding points.

DON'T try bleeding them the conventional way - you'll empty the servo reservoirs, while the master cylinder reservoir will remain full ;)

Must admit this is the only service task that I have not attempted. I have read thru' the link provided by Eliminator, but it does seem very long winded. How about a guide from Steptoe or should we not be touching ABS brakes?

Had read that doccument before (unable to see any illustrations though) but was basing my bleeding on all the comments Steptoe has made in the past (I have collated them and printed them off to add to my manual) but when I look at the unit I am lost.
Which covers are the mini reservoirs and which of the four bleed-nipples do you start with? Also can you bleed with the block connector disconnected or does it have to remain in situ to power the pumps?

Back
Top Bottom