Autocom PP3 Battery Life

DrKen

Can anyone who has used an Autocom system powered by an internal battery rather than from the bike, give me an idea of how long the batteries last? Just a general idea, I appreciate that it will depend on exactly how you are using the system.

Yep, I agree, I had an older Autocom Pro M1?? Lasted two days on days out riding, so no more than 8hrs life

Not long is the answer, and that is with a decent, branded, alkaline PP3. I now use a pack of 8 NiCd (AA size) in a Maplin battery case (with a handy PP3 clip on the end) and have Gaffa-taped it to my Autocom with the PP3 connector coming from the Autocom and connecting dircetly to the external battery pack. The whole lot fits inside a small camera case with my mp3 player and a lead going to the Sat Nav, and it can be used on any bike. The batteries last for days and can easily be recharged. 8 NiCd produce just over 10 volts when charged, and this has not been a problem with the Autocom so far (5000 miles)

Nick

nick.ct said:
Not long is the answer, and that is with a decent, branded, alkaline PP3. I now use a pack of 8 NiCd (AA size) in a Maplin battery case (with a handy PP3 clip on the end) and have Gaffa-taped it to my Autocom with the PP3 connector coming from the Autocom and connecting dircetly to the external battery pack. The whole lot fits inside a small camera case with my mp3 player and a lead going to the Sat Nav, and it can be used on any bike. The batteries last for days and can easily be recharged. 8 NiCd produce just over 10 volts when charged, and this has not been a problem with the Autocom so far (5000 miles)

Nick
Thanks for that, sounds worth investigating as a strategy. I have noted that there seem to be quite a few problems arising when these complex collections of devices are all powered off the bike supply, so was wondering about the benefits of the alternative.

Ken
PM me with a phone number if you want further details or just to chat about it. This route seems to have worked out quite well for me.
Nick

Back
Top Bottom