Sidestand Switch Broken & Missfiring

Karlz

Reaction score
My Bikes in the workshop for fitting a new sidestand switch as the existing one fell apart.

It has for the last few weeks developed starting problems, I figured it was the switch itself. You start the bike in neutral, but as soon as you put it into gear the engine stops. I foun d the only way to get the bike moving was to put the bike into 1st gear, turn the ignition off and back on. Pull in the clutch and start it that way. I think the turning off/on ignition fools the software into thinking the switch is faulty and allows the bike to carry on.

Anyway, I could libve with the inconvenience for a while, but the bike has started to miss-fire severely, especailly under load. Im hoping that the switch is the culprit.

The switch is the culprit. :eek: Get rid of it since it will happen again. My dealer said they have had issues with that before so I joined the kill switch portion of the side stand switch and removed the rest of it. I don't know why but R12GS and every other BMW motorcycle seems to have the switch behind the front of the stand and well protected. This one is in front and plastic. Being plastic and under stress that is the area of concern. Also check that the side stand mount isn't bent. Mine is bent, and I assume this is what caused the casing to bend and break. The side stand mounting point should be dead straight.

side stand

Karlz, this happened to me 200kms from lleida in spain. I have submitted a claim for transport and other costs to deliver bike bmw shop. The exact same thing, spluttering and stoping. Definate recall i reckon. All up it cost 726 euro for bike transport 120 euro to fix because bmw shop would not recognise world wide warranty and acomodation plus countless phone calls.
Very frustrating if u want to go outback

Sidestand Switch

Call me a smartass, but I always carry a spare sidestand switch in my toolkit!

Heard of the problems with the switch when I got the bike so took precautions. Prob means I will never have any trouble with the switch now...

Cheers, Rick.

Also happened to the HP2 training bike i was using in Wales. They shorted the wires at the sidestand - which fixed it.

RickA said:
Call me a smartass, but I always carry a spare sidestand switch in my toolkit!

Heard of the problems with the switch when I got the bike so took precautions. Prob means I will never have any trouble with the switch now...

Cheers, Rick.

OK smartass...well you asked. :rolleyes:

I considered that too but I figured it's just going to happen again so why bother. Get it looped and the problem is gone forever.

side stand

guys, can i have a list of guys and the bmw shops that did the work on the side stands. Im submitting my warranty claim to bmw and from what i can see they do not recognise a fault with hp2. They accept that if the side stand plate is bent that it will cause a fault however this is all. The fact is if this bent plate can make the bike stop working or at worst make it cut out as you go around a corner,then this is a design fault and should be fixed by recalling the bike.
Thanks

beachman said:
guys, can i have a list of guys and the bmw shops that did the work on the side stands. Im submitting my warranty claim to bmw and from what i can see they do not recognise a fault with hp2. They accept that if the side stand plate is bent that it will cause a fault however this is all. The fact is if this bent plate can make the bike stop working or at worst make it cut out as you go around a corner,then this is a design fault and should be fixed by recalling the bike.
Thanks

Why bother. BMW say there is no problem with the 1200gs Top box. I had three of them with one coming off at high speed and BMW say there is no problem with the box. :eek:

I'm going to get BMW to disconnect the switch at the HP first service. :nenau

I don't need the switch :beer:

why bother.......

because if the fault is not rectified, some bugger might stack and kill himself.You may find that the dealer will not disconnect it because he would not be allowed. Its more to do with the side stand plate apparently.

I dealt with dealers in Canada, Moto Internationale in Montreal - they are on the internet. They have a very matter-of-fact service manager who made no bones about it saying it was an issue on HP2's they have seen. It helped that the owner has the same bike and had the same issue. They've sold quite a few HP2's (5-6) and most have had the issue. I've now got the new part and am debating how to run the bike from now on without bending the afterthought of a kick stand support.

beachman said:
because if the fault is not rectified, some bugger might stack and kill himself.You may find that the dealer will not disconnect it because he would not be allowed. Its more to do with the side stand plate apparently.

I asked my dealer and he said they would disconnect the switch. at the bikes first service "Not a problem".

I think the stand switch sucks on all BMW bikes. :eek:

Ok its stuffed.

I got the bike back this week with a new switch.
The misfiring gone.

2 days later I start the bike, I put it in gear the engine dies.
This is defintely a fault.
Im removing the switch, and hot wiring it together.

This is stupid.

kiwi adventure

your dealer is a handy one. From a legal standpoint if u went arse up, you could take him to the cleaners. Thats his prob though and it solves your prob.

karlz

Once my side stand thing was fixed in spain i had know problems. Just check how you hop on your bike. If u hope on with the side stand down and via the the footpeg, you may have bent the plate again and this will cause the problem to occur

beachman said:
your dealer is a handy one. From a legal standpoint if u went arse up, you could take him to the cleaners. Thats his prob though and it solves your prob.

This is where NZ is so much better than the rest of the world. You can not sue for you own mistake of not putting the stand up. You will all be walking around in cotton wool soon or have alarms on the bike for lights left on or keys left in the ignition.

side stand

Ok however, under common law, the duty of care is imposed on the person who is deemed to have the greater knowledge. Or something to that effect. In this case you cannot sign away your right to take legal action. While you may convince the bloke to bypass the side stand switch, you cannot sign away your right to take such action.

Either way i will be interested to see if the guy does do the work and see if he will ask you to indemnify him against any probs arising from the bypass.

When u drive into a car park it says any damage caused to your vehical is basically your prob. This however does not remove the customers right to sue the car park should damage occurr.

While the car park example is a bit of an aside........The law is da law. :rob

beachman said:
Ok however, under common law, the duty of care is imposed on the person who is deemed to have the greater knowledge. Or something to that effect. In this case you cannot sign away your right to take legal action. While you may convince the bloke to bypass the side stand switch, you cannot sign away your right to take such action.

Either way i will be interested to see if the guy does do the work and see if he will ask you to indemnify him against any probs arising from the bypass.

When u drive into a car park it says any damage caused to your vehical is basically your prob. This however does not remove the customers right to sue the car park should damage occurr.

While the car park example is a bit of an aside........The law is da law. :rob

This is NZ not the US sorry Aust :clap

I probably have bent the plate again.
Im 100kgs and get on sometimes that way.
Im going to hot wite the switch.

For those that dont know.
There are 3 wires in the sidestand switch.

Brown/White connected = sidestand up
Red/White connected = sidestand down

to fix.

Connect brown/white together. Ive done it and all is good now.

Karlz said:
For those that dont know.
There are 3 wires in the sidestand switch.

Brown/White connected = sidestand up
Red/White connected = sidestand down

to fix.

Connect brown/white together. Ive done it and all is good now.

I connected the white to the brown and it still worked :thumb :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom