Honda CB-1 400 Chain & Sprocket query.

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'll be after a new chain & sprocket kit soon.
My chains don't last as long as they should. I ride through the winter & the salt / grit plays havoc, despite chain lube.

Just looked on the Wemoto site.Jap spares dealer, recomend them :thumb Different size sprockets are available, who's a whiz kid here?

1)If I went up one tooth on the front, this would make the bike rev less? 15 is standard, so would a 16, drop the acceleration pro rata, & do the same for the fuel consumption? Just used the calculator, 6,6% difference?

2)Also the front sprocket gets knackered quicker than the rear, so would this have any effect on chain life?

3) Would this be very noticeable riding the bike?

4) Would a standard chain still fit?

5) Should I be considering changing the rear as well?

6) Stick with standard sprockets? I commute about 50 miles a day down a motorway.

All thoughts welcome. I'll be refitting my Loobman. (cheap & cheerful manual Scottoiler type thing)

E, have you tried posting this on the other site? The CB-1 lads would know gearing & consumption inside out :thumb

ELIMINATOR said:
My chains don't last as long as they should. I ride through the winter & the salt / grit plays havoc, despite chain lube.

Just looked on the Wemoto site.Jap spares dealer, recomend them :thumb Different size sprockets are available, who's a whiz kid here?

1)If I went up one tooth on the front, this would make the bike rev less? 15 is standard, so would a 16, drop the acceleration pro rata, & do the same for the fuel consumption? Just used the calculator, 6,6% difference?

2)Also the front sprocket gets knackered quicker than the rear, so would this have any effect on chain life?

6) Stick with standard sprockets? I commute about 50 miles a day down a motorway.

All thoughts welcome. I'll be refitting my Loobman. (cheap & cheerful manual Scottoiler type thing)

On the front sprocket, moving up one tooth is quite a big jump - raising you gearing by nearly 7%. If the sprocket and chain will have adequate clearance, the standard length chain should be able to accomodate one extra tooth. But you could also consider dropping a tooth or two on the rear. You'll notice more sluggish performance, but you might not get the other advantages you seek.

The front sprocket will always wear faster than the rear as each tooth gets used around 3 times more frequently that each tooth on the rear! A worn chain will cause sprocket teeth to 'hook' quickly. Never let your chain get too old, too slack, too tight or too dry. The received wisdom is to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

Your questions may be a little out of place on a site dominated by shaft-drive bike owners!

Greg

Yes it may be out of place on this shaft drive based site. But, you're all old farts who've done the chain drive bit. Ref. your own reply :D

The CB-1 & grey bike sites are mostly populated by nippers. :eek: But, I have posted the same question on both. :clap

ELIMINATOR said:

1: Your acceleration will go down and top speed will go up, but I doubt you'll have the torque to reach it. Fuel consumption? well you may find it go up IMO as you may be chasing the revs to make up for the lack of acceleration.

2: I reckon the front sprocket will get knackered faster anyway as it sees more teeth per crank revolution that the rear sprocket.

3: I doubt you'll notice it greatly, especially as motorway is pretty constant revs and not lots of acceleration then braking, or engine braking etc.

4: The chain should still fit in length and the link length should also fit as the sprocket diameter will go up with the extra tooth. If it was the same then the distance between teeth would shrink and then the chain would not fit, yes it should fit..

5: A lot of hassle IMO

6: I say stick with the standard, get a decent O ring chain and get a scottoiler fitted (or the gizmo you mentioned, although I have had a Scottoiler on 6 bikes now and I think they make such a difference)

As it goes what sort of mileage are you getting from a chain kit? If its 12-15000 miles, you not doing to badly IMO...

ELIMINATOR said:
But, you're all old farts who've done the chain drive bit. Ref. your own reply :D

I actually bought a GS because I couldn't be arsed with chains any more. But I now spend all my time (so it seems) adjusting/lubing/replacing the chain on my DR-Z!

And not so much of the 'fart' if you don't mind!!

:D

Greg

Back
Top Bottom