Serow stalls after prolonged "high" speed

Bateman

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction here. Had a little Serow for a few weeks and on two journeys the engine has just died. On each occasion i have been riding continuously for about 25 miles at a constant 50 or 60 mph and then suddenly it has stalled whilst I am riding. The tank has been full before I left so presumably reserve isn't being hit. Could it be overheating or could there be a blockage in the fuel pipe? i did notice the other day when I started it up that if I whacked the throttle open in neutral, the revs died right down.

Try.............. a blocked breather on fuel filler cap

Sometimes happens or fuel pipe to carb/fuel tap on tank

Could be blocked with dirt

Bateman said:
Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction here. Had a little Serow for a few weeks and on two journeys the engine has just died. On each occasion i have been riding continuously for about 25 miles at a constant 50 or 60 mph and then suddenly it has stalled whilst I am riding. The tank has been full before I left so presumably reserve isn't being hit. Could it be overheating or could there be a blockage in the fuel pipe?

I would tend to agree with Johnny here, it sounds like a fuel starvation problem. If this is a constant problem, try doing the same with the filler cap off (not recommended with a full tank of fuel) and see if the problem goes. If it does then the problem is the air not being able to enter the tank as the fuel is consumed..

On a different note, Lucy and I have two Serows, on Lu’s 89 (F plate) if it’s left for a while (3 -4 weeks) I have to drain the float bowl by undoing the drain plug before turning the fuel tap on. It seems that the ‘octane’ evaporates off the fuel in there and it will not start from cold without refilling with fuel from the tank first.

Bateman said:
i did notice the other day when I started it up that if I whacked the throttle open in neutral, the revs died right down
Exactly the same with our two, the Serows do take a while to warm up and whacking the throttle before they have done so results in a virtual stall.

sounds like they're too lean as well.

push the float up - or bend the tang to raise the float level to give more fuel in the float bowl and a very slightly richer mid-range .

then lift the needle up one notch :thumb

They also collect water in the float bowl - try taking it off and cleaning out

Back
Top Bottom