road registering a Honda CRF 450

JimboGSA

Reaction score
Just bought a Honda CRF 450 for a bit of green lane use, just wondering what I need to do the bike to get it road registered to save hauling it in the van everytime I want to use it?

Are there any websites anyone would recommend??

If this helps, this is what I did to make my DRZ-E road legal:-

When you buy your new bike the dealer should give you the Certificate of Newness; check that the engine & frame numbers on this certificate match your bike numbers. DO NOT buy the bike unless you have this certificate in your hand!

Go to your local Tax office; but check first before you go, as you may need to make appointment. Complete the V55 form and then hand over the £25 registration fee, £30 for twelve months tax and the Certificate of Newness.

If all goes well they will then issue you with a registration number and a tax disc.

If all goes badly they could ask to inspect the vehicle, extremely bad luck if this happens, but it does!! It is also my understanding that the DVLA intentions are to clamp down on the registering off dirt bikes for road use.

The other problem you are faced with is the plate riveted to the headstock, which carries the frame number, clearly states that the bike is not intended for road use and does not meet C & U regulations, the fact that is does now is debatable. Again highly unlikely to be picked up on, but it does happen so be prepared to “blagg” your way out!

Regarding making it road legal is really quite easy to do and requires then minimum amount of effort and skill. There is no need to replace the headlight, as it is already has a dual filament bulb fitted, it is simply not wired up?

Replace the trip meter for a speedo assembly. There is a small chrome assembly about 75mm in diameter c/w backlight that lends itself to the job perfectly. Its cost is normally around the £30 mark and any good off-road shop should stock them, will fit straight on to where the trip meter was, just need to bend the chromed bracket 90 degrees.

The down side is that it is only good for OE wheels and not suitable for SuperMotad wheels.
If you intend to run two different sets of wheels it may pay to consider either the TrailTech computer or a much cheaper option is a mountain bike computer. Both these computers allow the changing of the setting to suit either diameter wheel.

Most dealers that sell the DRZ-E will offer you the option to have them make it road legal, but like most things it comes at a cost.

However, Pro-Racing of Daventry, 01327 301322, sell the kits for £150 to make the DRZ road legal yourself. The kit itself includes, horn, switch gear, main loom, connecting plugs, new OFO rear light assembly, hydraulic brake light switch for front brake, zip ties, crimps and instructions etc.
Simply follow the instructions and take your time, but be warned it does not look a lot for your money!!
Personally I did not like the unnecessary amount of connecting plugs with the Pro-Racing loom, but this is easily rectified by cutting them out and resoldered the wires together and then covering the joints with heatshrink.

The OE exhaust is obscenely loud for road use and is just asking to be pulled over. Two options here either buy the exhaust insert from Suzuki at around £80 or fit an aftermarket system.

Currently the CRD and FMF systems seem to be the most common, both being made completely of stainless steel. The FMF system is very much on the “fruity” side of quiet and may not suit all tastes! For maximum performance gains rejetting is required for both systems.

cheers Alan

cheers mate, excellent advice and it looks like I've got a bit to be getting on with there then! :thumb
Jim

Access to a colour photo copier may be needed as some certificates of newness also state that the bike should not be used on the road, this was the case with my DRZ. Luckily it was the last paragraph!! ;)

All my SON's were the same

Jim-Adv said:
Access to a colour photo copier may be needed as some certificates of newness also state that the bike should not be used on the road, this was the case with my DRZ. Luckily it was the last paragraph!! ;)

Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda's alike.
Just covered over the last paragraphs with spare sheet of paper and copied.

If your going to be keeping the bike for more than three years, hence the need for an MOT, it's best to do the lighting and horn mods correctly as they Testers are getting tighter and tighter.
Pro-racings kits as mentioned are excellent.
Keep us posted on your progress as I am toying with putting the DRZ out to graze and aquiring a CRF450X myself.
Best of luck.
Timpo.

jayceer said:
Just bought a Honda CRF 450 for a bit of green lane use, just wondering what I need to do the bike to get it road registered to save hauling it in the van everytime I want to use it?

Are there any websites anyone would recommend??
Hi there lots of good comment on how to make it road legal......which it has to be if you are using it on "green lanes" ...otherwise if plod is running an operation in your area (as they are doing more and more around here for example) to clamp down on MX bikes causing a nuisance, then you run risk of hefty fines, or possible crushing of your pride and joy (the bike I mean!)
defining off road is quite interesting these days post NERC, but if you use BOATs and UCrs then your bike in law must be road legal, ie insured taxed etc etc otheriwse THEY WILL catch up with you!
good luck

You didn't mess about getting the CRF did you!! :eek:

Good work Jim :thumb

cheers guys!

All extremely useful info and I think I know the right direction to go now to get it sorted!! watch this space I'll let you know how I get on! :thumb
cheers
Jim

New number for Pro-Racing

Having just tried and got through to a bull-dozer-hire firm (several times!), Pro Racing have a new number.

Their current details are :-

01788 510300 15 Guilsborough Road, West Haddon, Northampton. NN6 7AD

Unfortunately their DRZ kit is now £295, so it's a bit of DIY in order for me!

Back
Top Bottom