Chirping sound from driveshaft HP2

kdt

After 4 weeks I will be getting my HP2 back from my dealer due to a strange chirping sound I heard from the drive train. My Canadian dealer thought it might be the transmission and after consulting with BMW was told to strip the transmission down to inspect for any problems. After checking things out they found no fault with the tranny and decided it must be a problem with the driveshaft. Another 2 weeks was spent waiting for a new driveshaft to arrive from Germany before they would dismantle and inspect the shaft. They tell me now that everything is ok after the driveshaft replacement. This is a portion of the bike I did not want to take any chances with as a driveshaft failure would not be a good thing! I'm told two other HP2 owners have heard similar sounds from their bikes especially if the rear suspention was not at the proper preasure. I've always riden my bike with the spirit level set as per BMW specs. The noise was most noticeable with the enduro wheels but was there in Motard setup as well. Has anyone else out there had any stange noises from the driveshaft? Still love the bike (6000km) despite the extraordinary long time they took to fix it. Missed the best month of the year to ride. I'll post a follow up once I get my bike back and put some KM on. :eek

kdt said:
After 4 weeks I will be getting my HP2 back from my dealer due to a strange chirping sound I heard from the drive train. My Canadian dealer thought it might be the transmission and after consulting with BMW was told to strip the transmission down to inspect for any problems. After checking things out they found no fault with the tranny and decided it must be a problem with the driveshaft. Another 2 weeks was spent waiting for a new driveshaft to arrive from Germany before they would dismantle and inspect the shaft. They tell me now that everything is ok after the driveshaft replacement. This is a portion of the bike I did not want to take any chances with as a driveshaft failure would not be a good thing! I'm told two other HP2 owners have heard similar sounds from their bikes especially if the rear suspention was not at the proper preasure. I've always riden my bike with the spirit level set as per BMW specs. The noise was most noticeable with the enduro wheels but was there in Motard setup as well. Has anyone else out there had any stange noises from the driveshaft? Still love the bike (6000km) despite the extraordinary long time they took to fix it. Missed the best month of the year to ride. I'll post a follow up once I get my bike back and put some KM on. :eek

KDT,

Saw your bike in the shop a couple weeks back. They really had that thing pulled apart!! Sure looks strange with the whole back end missing!

My HP2 makes some wierd noises as well and I was meaning to talk to you about what we are hearing. When does yours make this noise. Mine is only when downshifting, right as the clutch is starting to engage. I wrote it off as clutch chatter until I noticed that it did it less with the motard wheels. Also on my last trip with the bike fully loaded down I never heard it once. Now, back home with no heavy load it does it again. I figure a chattering clutch would always make this sound so I am now puzzled. :nenau

I am going out next week to do some further testing. I will try changing the ride height/firmness at the rear and will also try no loads vs having my hard cases fully loaded with crap.
I'll let you know what transpires.

BTW, did you ever install those bar risers?? Are they the Touratech items? If you decided not to use them let me know. I am about to order a couple items and those risers are on my list. If you don't want 'em I will pay you cash and take 'em off your hands. :bounce1

Bario

BMW Motorad Canada service bullitin Final Drive oil change

Hi Bario:

Bullitin # 00 002 06 (020) was released this month that states: Final drive oil change during 1000km service K2x, K4x. This is to minimize wear over the service life of the final drive due to traces of certain substances used in the manufacturing process that release and bind with oil while the final drive is being runin. The oil change flushes these particles out of the assembly before they have a chance to affect wear. The new 07 HP2's will have a drain plug and magnet to ensure metalic particles are seperated out of the oil during the runin process. The dealer is looking into seeing if a retrofit drain plug can be fitted to the older model as the 06 model has to have the drive assembly removed and turned upside down to change the oil. This adds significantly to the service time and does not have the magnet to help eliminate the problematic metal particles.

I put about 100km on today after recieving it back from the dealer and the new final drive seems to have fixed the problem. I was getting a significant chirping sound out of the old final drive as the unit slipped between the play in the drive unit. I noticed it the most at low speeds when the bike sped up or slowed down. The ride hight did not seem to make any difference on my bike and I noticed it with both Enduro and Motorrad wheels. Hope your bike is ok Bario. Let me know if you need any more details.

The Touratech risers work great and I plan on keeping my set. Much better stand up comfort for my 6' 2". I even like it with the motorad wheels. I got mine from Touratech in Seattle WA.

Hope we can get together for a ride again before the Winter hits.

All the Best!

kdt said:
Hi Bario:

Bullitin # 00 002 06 (020) was released this month that states: Final drive oil change during 1000km service K2x, K4x. This is to minimize wear over the service life of the final drive due to traces of certain substances used in the manufacturing process that release and bind with oil while the final drive is being runin. The oil change flushes these particles out of the assembly before they have a chance to affect wear. The new 07 HP2's will have a drain plug and magnet to ensure metalic particles are seperated out of the oil during the runin process. The dealer is looking into seeing if a retrofit drain plug can be fitted to the older model as the 06 model has to have the drive assembly removed and turned upside down to change the oil. This adds significantly to the service time and does not have the magnet to help eliminate the problematic metal particles.

I put about 100km on today after recieving it back from the dealer and the new final drive seems to have fixed the problem. I was getting a significant chirping sound out of the old final drive as the unit slipped between the play in the drive unit. I noticed it the most at low speeds when the bike sped up or slowed down. The ride hight did not seem to make any difference on my bike and I noticed it with both Enduro and Motorrad wheels. Hope your bike is ok Bario. Let me know if you need any more details.

The Touratech risers work great and I plan on keeping my set. Much better stand up comfort for my 6' 2". I even like it with the motorad wheels. I got mine from Touratech in Seattle WA.

Hope we can get together for a ride again before the Winter hits.

All the Best!

KDT,

I was wondering when we would see that bulletin up here in Canada. I saw this a couple weeks back on ADVrider and have now set up a time to drain the fluid in my final drive.

Glad to hear your problem has been resolved. The noise in mine is still there and I am not yet sure what it is. Mine does not seem to be the same issue as yours as it only happens when letting the clutch lever back out when downshifting. Feels and sounds like a bad case of clutch shudder but why it comes and goes baffles me.

So the TT risers work out well. Good to hear. I installed the Wunderlich handlebar quick-adjust levers last week. Makes changing the rotation of the bars a 10 second job. Great for the switch from on road to off road. Still need the extra height however, which is why I inquired about the TT risers, which will work well along with the Wunderlich levers.

I will order myself a set of the TT risers this coming week.

Did you check out the Wunderlich catalogue at the dealer yet?? Added the crash bars, the hard luggage and the tank bag to my HP2. Sure makes it easier than packing all my crap in those little sport bike soft bikes I used on the last trip we went on.

Dealer also now has the part numbers for the BMW/Akrapovic exhaust system. Are you drooling yet??

My bike is down for a couple days as I have it stripped to do some wiring projects. Should be up and running during the week. We will have to get together for a ride before it gets too cold and ugly here. Wait a minute, wet and muddy? That sounds like prime HP2 weather.

There are now five of us that have bought HP2's from the shop. Maybe getting all 5 together for a ride??

Talk to you soon and enjoy the fixed ride.

Bario

Had my dealer replace the FD oil and engine oil during the 1st 600mi (1000Km) service... never had that experience.... did the same thing on my 1200gs.... just to be sure :eek:

kdt said:
After 4 weeks I will be getting my HP2 back from my dealer due to a strange chirping sound I heard from the drive train.

Some starlings have got in an opening somewhere, and started nesting -

There was a BMW service bullitin, warning about the nesting season .

Steptoe said:
Some starlings have got in an opening somewhere, and started nesting -

There was a BMW service bullitin, warning about the nesting season .

:yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

No return of the Starlings

Just came back from a great weekend on the Sunshine Coast. Lots of twisty stuff for the Super Moto wheels. The final drive is chirp free. Almost have 1000km on so the oil will be changed soon. :D :bounce1 :clap :D :bounce1 :clap

kdt said:
Just came back from a great weekend on the Sunshine Coast. Lots of twisty stuff for the Super Moto wheels. The final drive is chirp free. Almost have 1000km on so the oil will be changed soon. :D :bounce1 :clap :D :bounce1 :clap

I'll have to meet up with you at some point and have you listen to mine to see if it's the same noise. It went away for several weeks but is now back. If you take a listen and decide it's the same thing then I will get mine in for the same work.

Bario

Hope to do service this week

Should be able to pick my bike up Saturday am from John Valk if everything goes well. Oil change the final drive as I have 1000km on it now. I also have a warning light indicating my rear brake light is out but everything is good except the warning light. My battery seems to be pooched already so I hope I can get them to replace it as well. If the bike sits for more than a week I get very weak cranking power. Rusty tells me this is a common problem with the HP2.

Weather permitting I'm going up to Peachland for the weekend so I'll be getting away from the dealer asap. Let me know if you can meet me there :beerjug:

kdt said:
Should be able to pick my bike up Saturday am from John Valk if everything goes well. Oil change the final drive as I have 1000km on it now. I also have a warning light indicating my rear brake light is out but everything is good except the warning light. My battery seems to be pooched already so I hope I can get them to replace it as well. If the bike sits for more than a week I get very weak cranking power. Rusty tells me this is a common problem with the HP2.

Weather permitting I'm going up to Peachland for the weekend so I'll be getting away from the dealer asap. Let me know if you can meet me there :beerjug:

I am free Saturday and could meet you at the shop.
( Wish I could say I could meet you in Peachland as that would be a far nicer ride :thumb . Oh well, I had the Big Traillie Ride and then I took off to the OK valley again in late August for 2 weeks. Guess that will have to suffice for now.>

Yep, that battery is just too weak. Now that it's a bit colder I can't let it sit for more than a few days or it won't start. Wired up a second power socket direct to the battery. Now I leave the charger plugged in. I can't decide whether to pursue a new battery via warranty or to just bite the bullet and order the higher capacity Odyssey from BMW Santa Cruz. I really want the better battery but I have dropped over $2000 at BMW SC in the last few weeks.

What time are you planning to pick up your bike?

Bario

John Valk

Hi Bario:

I'm hoping to pick it up when they open as I'll have to get an early start to Peachland. I'm still not sure if I will have the time to get it in on Friday. I'll let you know here if it is going to happen.

I know how you feel about the $$ going out. I'm hoping I will get another battery via warranty for my trip. The high capacity unit will have to come later. Maybe get it fresh for next year??

Hope we can meet up Saturday...

KDT

Back
Top Bottom